Forum Index > Trip Reports > snoqualmie upper nordic area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
adam

adam
PostTue Nov 15, 2005 7:21 pm 
We went up to the upper snoqualmie nordic ski area yesterday, which was not officially open or groomed, but full of snow nonetheless. Following trip reports of others that FS road 9070 (the route around the back of the summit ski area) was chewed up by 4x4s, and because of the late start, we went straight up the snocat track from summit central up to the top, followed snowmobile tracks and other skiier tracks around the various trails up there, and then broke a little trail of our own, which was a real workout. We came down whatever the easy intermediate slope (marked "easiest way down") on summit east is. It's not groomed, but there's plenty of snow-- I found that breaking trail slowed me down about as much as gravity sped me up, and just cruised straight down without turning. The east-to-central crossover is mostly snow covered, but not completely, and has a nice snowmobile track to follow. As a result of misjudging time, we got to enjoy a beautiful sunset and moonrise over ther gold creek area. Bottom line: plenty of snow up there to ski, and plenty of snow to ski up from hyak/summit east, if you don't mind a few bare spots.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue Nov 15, 2005 7:53 pm 
I wouldn't have that of that loop, thanks! up.gif Glad you enjoyed, and hope the snow doesn't melt too much before next weekend.... frown.gif

adam

adam
PostTue Nov 15, 2005 10:05 pm 
we didn't really "think" of it-- I'd never been up there before, and just took the first decent looking route up to the top that I saw. the last bit we had to walk with the skis, but mostly it was skiiable without skins. Once on top, I had a tough time reconciling the un-marked nordic trails with the topo map, and just sort of found my way down to the east. I was really surprised when that east-to-central cutoff put me so close to the car-- I was getting ready for a long walk. so I guess as long as the ski area's closed, and you don't mind the ascent, it's a good loop-- but I just made it up as I was going along. I don't know about the lower part, but I'll bet there will still be plenty of snow up top even after this week-- it was deep.