Forum Index > Links > Hiking & Mountaineering Training Website - Great site for training information
Previous :: Next Topic  
BodyResults

BodyResults

PostMon Apr 01, 2002 1:29 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I thought some of you might be interested in visiting Body Results Outdoor Sports Conditioning This site is packed with over 200 pages of content on training for hiking, mountaining, climbing and other outdoor sports. Let me know what you think.

thanks

--------------
Doug Schurman
www.BodyResults.com
Seattle, WA
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
catwoman

catwoman

PostMon Apr 01, 2002 11:43 am 
Yeah, this looks good.  I'll look at it more as I have time.  Thanks!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote

PostThu Apr 11, 2002 7:34 am 
What do you think would be of more benefit for mountaineering? (with other cardio and strength training) Using a stair climber with a 50 lb pack or doing step-up repeats on a 10" - 14 " step with same weight?  I say the step because you can alternate or isolate each leg.

I'm interested in anyones opinion, but hope BodyResults is lurking too.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet

meat tornado
PostThu Apr 11, 2002 8:19 am 
Pappy, I'm interested in the answer to that question as well. Some people I asked about using stair climbers said running stadium steps would be more beneficial than a machine because it's more like the real thing. And it depended on the type of stair machine because the type with the "escalator" steps is better than the one with the pedals because supposedly you can "cheat" by short-stepping.

I do step-ups with dumbbells rather than a loaded pack -- hard to cram one in my tiny locker -- and it's a good workout. My glutes feel like they get a better workout afterwards.

--------------
A fuxk, why do I not give one?

PostThu Apr 11, 2002 12:48 pm 
kleet, I've done quite a bit of stair running and walking stairs with a pack.  Think both are great exercise, but the impact is what concerns me now.  The stair climber and the step should both be way better as far as inpact.  Step seems more versatile to me than stairclimber.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt

Short Timer
PostThu Apr 11, 2002 6:08 pm 
I haven't done any of it personally but an old boss of mine trained  for Everest by running up and down stadium steps in the 60'S.
Good luck
NN smile.gif

--------------
It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
elkendo

elkendo

PostThu Apr 11, 2002 8:18 pm 
I am looking into climbing Mt Rainier in 2003 and found that same site just yesterday. Pretty cool.

I workout on a regular basis although I don't use a pack.

I used to do the stairmaster and it was a good workout but a trainer told me that the stairmaster can really be detrimental to the knees. Consequently, I have switched to the elliptical machine. It is still a great aerobic workout and is much better for the knees. Also for the same time period the machine estimates that the calories used is much higher than with the stairmaster.

That is my two cents worth  smile.gif
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge

Famous Grouse
PostThu Apr 11, 2002 8:23 pm 
Randy's the stairs expert, but my son's a fireman and they start every day with about 1100' of stairs. I'm inclined to believe that if exercise equipment were equally effective they'd just have it at the station and save a trip to the stadium.  agree.gif

--------------
Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Exerciser Bunny

Exerciser Bunny

PostThu Apr 11, 2002 9:50 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Low-impact aerobic exercise of any kind, that you'll keep doing, is good enough. Important thing is regular exercise -- 3 to 4 times per week. Strength is rarely a factor unless you are rock climbing. Once a week hiking or going up/down lots of stairs will keep the legs from getting sore after a hike.
Search for posts by this user Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostFri Apr 12, 2002 12:20 am 
Scrooge, do they do that with gear?  Hmm, makes my 16 floors / day look kinda lame. shakehead.gif

PostFri Apr 12, 2002 7:10 am 
I asked for a comparison of a stairclimbing machine vs a stationary step - both while wearing a packing. :angry:  Done plenty of stair running and walking stairs with a pack and know the benefits.

Think I saw BodyResults recommend the first and was curious if they or anyone else ever considered the later.  Many possibilities with the stationary step.

Whoever said "Strength is rarely a factor unless you are rock climbing".  Think again.  shakehead.gif Exceptional hikers and mountaineering types are "strong like bull".  biggrin.gif
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Links > Hiking & Mountaineering Training Website - Great site for training information
  Happy Birthday Rob Jordan, trad_guy, rasbo!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: