Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Dec 01, 2005 11:23 pm 
marylou wrote:
No, not in itself, but the I'net is making us all a little sloppier in general, IMO.
There has always been a difference between the way people speak colloquially (correctly spelled per Webster's College Dictionary) and the way people write and speak formally. IMO, what you see on the net is the way people speak informally to one another. If someone is using the same language to write formally, they're (contraction of they are) being lazy, weren't (contraction of were not) taught correctly, or don't (contraction of do not) care. All of those reasons are valid ones for denying them a given job, contract, or what-have-you.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Dec 02, 2005 12:14 am 
Jen, you have inadvertantly brought up an interesting side note on dictionaries. You mention the Webster's College Dictionary. WHOSE Webster's dictionary? Anybody can publish a Webster's dictionary because the term "Webster's" is in the public domain. I have the Random House Webster's College Dictionary, but there are many others as well. My Random House Webster's, copyright 1999, has a spelling error in it, of which I notified Random House. They acknowledged their mistake in an email to me, and promised to correct the error in a future edition. The mistake is in the fourth definition of the word "accommodate". The dictionary reads " 4. to provide with a room or other accomodations." Only one "m" was used in this spelling. Since the Latin root word always has two "m"s, the word must always have two "m"s in every form. Who says four years of Latin in high school was wasted? lol.gif In a recent post, Sore Feet only used one "m", and it took all my self control to not correct him on the spelling of "my" word.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Dec 02, 2005 12:24 am 
Quote:
editors are loathe to point out any potential mistakes they may have made.
I think you mean they are loath to point out such mistakes, because they loathe being called out as an editor bold enough to call out a great writer's errors.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Dec 02, 2005 12:34 am 
You are correct in that I was incorrect. "Loath" means "reluctant", which is what I was trying to say, and "loathe" means "to feel disgust for" or "abhor", the latter fitting in well with your second example. Good job, ml. I figured I'd look it up, since I had the dictionary out anyway for my last post. I could have gotten away with the word I used, if I had said "editors loathe pointing out..."

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Dec 02, 2005 12:38 am 
Slugman wrote:
Jen, you have inadvertantly brought up an interesting side note on dictionaries. You mention the Webster's College Dictionary. WHOSE Webster's dictionary? Anybody can publish a Webster's dictionary because the term "Webster's" is in the public domain. I have the Random House Webster's College Dictionary, but there are many others as well.
I didn't realize there were several Webster's college Dictionaries. Mine is the Random House Webster's College Dictionary, copyrite 1998.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Dec 02, 2005 12:40 am 
Merriam-Webster's is another brand. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Webster's Dictionary is a common title given to English language dictionaries in the United States, deriving its name from American lexicographer Noah Webster. In America, the phrase Webster's has become a genericized trademark for dictionaries. Although Merriam-Webster dictionaries are descended from those of the original purchasers of Noah Webster's work, many other dictionaries bear his name, such as those by the publishers Random House and John Wiley & Sons.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Dec 02, 2005 10:13 am 
apparently nobody has taken my advice to take up drinking. I advise you to do so immediately, if not sooner.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jan 01, 2006 12:19 pm 
I just spotted an abuse that I found most confusing. Someone said "We'll" when what they were trying to say is "well". I know I'm supposed to go with the flow and not be bothered by the casual nature of the internet, but when people start using completely different words like in this case I get a little confused. I had to sit and look at that one for a moment before I figured out what the guy was really trying to say.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
D'Airy Queen

D'Airy Queen
PostSun Jan 01, 2006 12:59 pm 
Attention all! Thank you! Please note this is a narration of the Queen's by her page, Page. "It has come to my attention that if I remove the apostrophe from my name, that it becomes Dairy Queen. Because of this, I have specifically asked my scribes, and especially my page, Page, to please proof read all parchments that are distributed to the kingdom, (for example, nailed on pub doors and the like). In sooth, my scribes hate to proof read, but I believe it will be well worth the effort. I do not want any Dairy Queens popping up in the kingdom or people to even get the idea of fast food in their little noggins. Speaking of noggins, I wish everyone a Happy New Year! At the castle we toasted in the New Year with a healthy draught of mead. Cartoned egg-nog is not available. I pardoned several naves and removed their sentence of being fed to the alligators. In addition, I tossed each of the alligators an extra apple. Games and festivities will be enjoyed by all, Lord and serf, in the courtyard today. Aye, I can hear the trumpet fanfare starting! Time to make some resolutions!" Ta ta for now! " D'Airy Queen \Page

Ta ta, time to feed the alligators.
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSun Jan 01, 2006 8:25 pm 
Quote:
I pardoned several naves and removed their sentence of being fed to the alligators.
Yeah, those church parts can be nasty! lol.gif

don't believe everything you think
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Jan 01, 2006 8:48 pm 
Quote:
I pardoned several naves and removed their sentence of being fed to the alligators.
What about this sick-o neighborhood in Shoreline who has a live 3 foot long alligator as the primary attraction for the kiddie fest?
Alligator
Alligator
Mayhaps it's rather a kiddie feast?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Jan 01, 2006 9:22 pm 
While vacationing this week, our family stopped at a Zip's Restaurant in Spokane for some burgers and stuff. My wife noted that their cups and napkins were boasting their 50 years of business... (actually it's been 52 or 53 years now I guess), but in particular she noted the cups had a misplaced apostrophe. The cups proclaim: Since 53' instead of Since '53 I couldn't wait to get home and inform all of you. I tried to find a picture online, but couldn't. Sorry. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
D'Airy Queen

D'Airy Queen
PostMon Jan 02, 2006 6:04 pm 
RayD wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, those church parts can be nasty! lol.gif
Fie! Fie! This is the Queen H'self. Please pardon Page's spelling mistakes. The mistakes truly belong to her, as indicated by the apostrophe in the preceding sentence. I have sentenced her to scrubbing the floors in the nave. A knave in the nave! Har! This page now hath no mistakes! Hark! It is time to feed the alligators. How will I ever finish reading my book on falconry? Ta ta for now! D'Airy Queen

Ta ta, time to feed the alligators.