Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Snoqualmie ski area to grow??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Dec 28, 2005 8:30 pm 
Seattle Times article... But can they make it affordable to the masses?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Dec 28, 2005 9:51 pm 
polarbear wrote:
That place doesn't have the elevation to "grow". Somebody needs to talk the govt into selling the land on and around Stevens Pass. That place needs amenities. Restaurants, gas stations, hotels, etc etc etc. At least it has the elevation (read snow) to support those things. Affordable to the masses, no.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Dec 28, 2005 9:56 pm 
Snoqualmie's proximity to Seattle will always make it a ski area, even if it snows lacadaisically there. I've got to think that when development comes to the Kechelus area, Snoqualmie will turn itself into more of a year round destination area, how I do not know. It stumps me to think of the area being developed, but I'm sure the developers have a reservoir of ideas on the back burner.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Dec 28, 2005 11:13 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
polarbear wrote:
That place doesn't have the elevation to "grow". Somebody needs to talk the govt into selling the land on and around Stevens Pass. That place needs amenities. Restaurants, gas stations, hotels, etc etc etc. At least it has the elevation (read snow) to support those things. Affordable to the masses, no.
do you ski? confused.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
greg

greg
PostThu Dec 29, 2005 8:47 am 
The point everybody is missing is that Booth Creek has had a couple bad years in a row, especially last year. I'm not sure they're going to want to dump a truckload of money into areas with unreliable snowcover, minimal vertical and lame terrain. One of those four areas, Hyak, almost never runs now as it is. Why expand? Might make more sense to focus resources on the best of the four, Alpental, and not expand the others at all. Also, this is just FS approval of the plan, does not mean squat will happen anytime soon.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Dec 29, 2005 8:54 am 
marylou wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
polarbear wrote:
do you ski? confused.gif
Do I ski? No I don't. Have I, yes. Leave it to you to work over time to put a question as to whether what I have to say has merritt!!! I started skiing when I was four years old. I ski'd every year (through elementary, jr. high and high school) taking ski school classes every season. In high school I did assistant instructing with the Powder Pigs at Ski Acres. While I was in the Army I ski'd at Heavenly, Kirkwood, Squaw Valley in northern California. After my cancer surgery I wasn't able to do any physical activity for a few years and I haven't ski'd since. I have snow boarded a few times a few years ago but it beat me up to much. I cant handle speed and impact together. So no I don't ski now, but I have.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Dec 30, 2005 11:27 am 
BPJ...I would hate to see any more development around Stevens. There's enought support for the ski area in Skykomish and down lower. I think the last thing that's needed up there are more restaurants, stores etc. Snowqualmie may not have enough snow, but it's already pretty much a lost cause environmentally( at least along I 90....) In the summer, when the skiers are long gone, at least one can get away from the bustle of highway 2 fairly easily...not so at Snowqualmie...... one mans opinion.....

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Dec 30, 2005 3:31 pm 
A one chair hop to the top of Alpental and another to the Back bowls/upper international? Sweet.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 5:42 pm 
That sounds like a good plan to me up.gif I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will object to the idea of making access to the top of Alpental easier, but I'm all for that idea. I really like the expanded night skiing at Alpental part of the plan. I also think the East / Central consolidation plan is a good one, as East is almost completely wasted terrain given that it is rarely open and difficult to access. I only wish they had something in the plan for Nordic skiing as well. Looks like they have no plans to change anything there. Actually, all I would ask them to do is open the Nordic trails more often (currently only 3 days a week).

greg

greg
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 6:14 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
A one chair hop to the top of Alpental and another to the Back bowls/upper international? Sweet.
If they could to it with minimal impact, I gotta agree Goat. That is some sweeeeet!! terrain. Of course, the hardcore backcountry riders would have conniption fits.

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 6:33 pm 
I'm surprised that they want to go for this development given the last few bad years, and climate change predictions. A resort in the PNW like Snoqualmie, hovering just over 3000 ft. will be hit pretty hard by even mild temperature increases. The UW Climate Impacts Group is doing some pretty interesting research... http://www.cses.washington.edu/cig/pnwc/cc.shtml

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. - Justice Louis Brandeis
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 6:36 pm 
I can't see much benefit in expanding the areas on the south side of the highway. It might be nice to have more lift service at Alpental, but one of the things I like about the place is that it has a certain character to it that might be compromised by more lifts/more people.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 8:29 pm 
What I would like to see is a lift up Cave Ridge then one to the top of Snoqualmie Mountain. There be some sweet runs up there and it isn't really pristeen. Chair is too steep. Don't see much on the South cept a lift up Catherine and a lift up the back of Hyak like the old Dinosaur lift. Do not really caare much about the CC stuff, because why pay, the Hyak lift is a pain in the youyang.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 9:23 pm 
I would like to see a lift all the way to Snow Lake. This would save me alot of hiking each year and I would no longer need a flashlight. up.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 10:27 pm 
Quote:
What I would like to see is a lift up Cave Ridge then one to the top of Snoqualmie Mountain. There be some sweet runs up there and it isn't really pristeen.
It's pretty danged steep. i postholed up Snoq one time with my downhill skis in the pack, and then skied it in sketchy snow conditions on a decent weather day. man the upper run on the open SW ridge is pretty damned eye busting, especially when you're ripping right down it with Rainier in the distance. the cliff bands which comprise the middle third are not trivial, considering that it consists of the same classic granite cliff styles noted for abrupt and large drops below innocent appearing flats and draws as alpental's many lethal places to dump yourself off a cliff. anyhow, one thing to consider is that opening these slopes will cost lives. people are already killed at a disproportionate rate for alpental. I am glad this is one area where legal custom generally accepts the victims risks were theirs to take. any lawyers who can tell me how new chairs will change legal exposure?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers