Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Historic Everett
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Dec 05, 2005 9:57 pm 
At the north end of the Port of Everett Marina area is a big shed with an old wooden ship. It's a boat that the author Robert Louis Stevenson wrote some book's while traveling in the South Pacific - maybe the book Treasure Island? Robert Louis Stevenson is also credited with this from Wikipedia: Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes (1879), travels in Cévennes (France), one of the first books to present hiking and camping as recreational activities. It tells of commissioning one of the first sleeping bags.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostTue Dec 06, 2005 9:54 am 
The Equator, which is in pretty sad shape but still interesting. Is it still down in the Marina Village area near Anthony's HomePort? I think I must have read most of Stevenson's fiction when I was a boy; my favorite was "Kidnapped", but they were all rousing yarns of adventure!

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Dec 09, 2005 7:56 am 
EQUATOR
EQUATOR is in the trailer boat area of the marina properties, or at least it was as of two year's ago. Most of that property is to be developed by the Port of Everett into moorage, condo's, restaurant's, etc.. The marina may become the largest on the west coast rivaling Marina Del Rey in California. I'd be curious to know what will become of the neglected EQUATOR. I think it's interesting that Robert Louis Stevenson may have written the first hiking/camping book. The connection to the NW is also interesting. A few year's ago I met a guy who was a Pacific Islander. He said that in his small country Robert Louis Stevenson was a major hero with a statue of him in it's capitol city. He wished that EQUATOR could be moved to his country where it could be properly preserved.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.