Forum Index > Trail Talk > Disapearing trails on new topos
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 6:07 pm 
dissappearing cabins and trails is HIGHLY suspicious. Now weird buildings with names like that poppin up in text?!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 7:08 pm 
I've toyed with putting a big list of abandoned trails on wikipedia. But... would that cause too much attention? Better to leave them harder to discover? Meanwhile, procrastination and laziness works.

BdCast

BdCast
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 7:21 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
BdCast wrote:
Skyscraper Islamabad
Pretty much the best auto-correct I have ever seen.
Oh wow! Skyscraper Island

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 8:33 pm 
BdCast (or any anyone else interested). The Mountaineers has a large set of Robert Kinzebach Pic-Tour maps covering many areas of the Cascades and Olympic mountains. A couple copies of each map are in the permanent collection but there are lots of spares. If anyone wants a paper set of these maps PM me. I will need to get a set together and then you can pick them up at the Mountaineers facility (or pay me to send it via mail - probably not worth it). You can browse an online inventory of the maps here at the section labelled "Robert Kinzebach Pic-Tour Guide maps" Here's a good example of lost trails on these maps. It shows trails past Sunday Lake (North Fork Snoqualmie) to Honey and Mowitch Lake. Also an indication of how far one could drive up the Quartz Creek road in those days (1980s).
Sample
1 label
Sample

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 6:14 pm 
Interesting thread. While it is nice to go online to pour over old maps I much prefer a paper copy in hand. I can provide copies of the following if any one is interested. 1955 Mt Rainier NP usgs 1918 Wenatchee NF Metskers that predate the red and yellow envelope versions, guessing the 50s. North Central wa Yakima county King County Sportsmens guide 1953 collection of 20 maps covering state of Washington Just pay for copying and postage. Would be interested in paying for copies of anything interesting from your collection.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
hatchetation

hatchetation
PostFri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 am 
Wow, puzzlr - that Pic-Tour map is great. Has some small details I haven't seen on any other maps (like the small spur trail that forks to the right on the way up to Pratt balcony). If you're GIS-minded, there are a few other useful resources for researching abandoned routes. WA DNR has a few open geodatabases available: Forest Practices Orphaned and Abandoned Roads- exactly what it sounds like. DNR Proprietary Roads (Statewide) - This purports to only show active roads, but also contains many long-abandoned ones. Washington State LiDAR portal - Even the online viewer is really useful, but the real fun is in the raw data. Fragments of abandoned roads and trails are often visible in the DTM hillshade layer. ("DTM" is a model of the earth's surface, with all vegetation removed.) Coverage is surprisingly good.

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 7:45 am 
Interesting digging thru these again

Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 am 
thanks for the bump Timberghost! This is such a cool thread and so many great resources too!

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 am 
Riverside Laker wrote:
I've toyed with putting a big list of abandoned trails on wikipedia. But... would that cause too much attention? Better to leave them harder to discover? Meanwhile, procrastination and laziness works.
Affirmative, on all counts. True, I like to read of unlikely places to explore, but I more don't want whatever remote places we still have to be "discovered" and then trashed by slobs.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 4:53 pm 
Here is a USFS recreation map I made with a bunch of GIS layers you can turn on/off/restack. Covers most national forests. When the map opens, 2 layers are 'on'. White = open USFS road (this layer is 'on top' and therefore clickable) Orange = closed USFS road Click "Map tips" upper left corner for more info. Open GISsurfer map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.810140,-121.533165&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&overlay=Motor_road_closed,Motor_road_open&txtfile=https://mappingsupport.com/p2/special_maps/recreation/USFS_recreation.txt

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 am 
Great addition Joey

christiangustafson

christiangustafson
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 12:00 pm 
USGS put their 1971 survey of the Pasayten Wilderness online. I have a physical copy and was thinking about scanning the maps and posting them, but the USGS has made them available for download as PDFs. The maps are included as extra plates in an envelope inside the back cover. They are based on 1955 USFS trail data, and show all the points where guys like Rowland Tabor had to visit to get sediment samples, amazing. Plate 2, Eastern Pasayten Plate 3, Western Pasayten Take a good look at these maps, see what secrets they contain, such as
  • Holdover Ridge, Lease Creek, Chuchuwanteen, Ptarmigan Ridge
  • A trail continuing up Three Fools Creek and Castle Fork
  • A route from Eightmile ridge past Fool Hen Lake to Diamond Peak
What can you find? Any trail gems in here? Correlate these to a newer USGS topo to work out a route. I also have the mineralogical survey of Whatcom County from this time; the plates include maps of the mining tunnels (!) in the vicinity of Harts Pass.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 8:46 pm 
See also what’s not there. The first place I looked was Buckskin Lake. No trail.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
hikermike

hikermike
PostMon Apr 10, 2023 11:07 pm 
Just strolling through the website tonite and discovered this thread.. Had just prior had read the entry on the 21st birthday of this site...made me nostalgic. I joined in 2003, so this is my 20th anniversary This post has so many of the old classics, where are they now? and examples of the humour and banter from back then. Miss them but so many have filled their places. Congrats and many thanks to Tom for "hanging in there" for us. Anyway, I have many old maps since I started in the 60"s but a lot are falling apart. I very much treasure the Kinzbach (sp) set of maps. There main problem was they were very hit and miss for which areas were covered and varied a lot in format and scales/sizes. Loaded with so much information I don't know why they aren't more sought after. The early Green Trails maps did list some abandoned trails and poorly kept trails. Maybe they were afraid of lawsuits. They were a $1.50 then and USGS were $.50 then.

idoru

idoru
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 10:21 am 
puzzlr wrote:
One of my fears with the very useful and frequently updated online maps is that the historical record left by old maps will not be available in the future. In 2050 will you be able to pull up a Google street map circa 2015?
Totally share this concern, but there are at least some attempts to reduce this sort of thing. Take for instance, this link shared in 2002:
Sawyer wrote:
Hoping to add that list to the Abandoned Trails site
It's a dead site now, but you can still find it via Archive.org's Wayback machine. Never a guarantee that it'll work for every site, but it's often helped me find a lot of lost information that I used to access back in the day.