Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostThu Dec 05, 2002 8:48 pm 
Newbie Newt wrote:
Nice list Rich. One word stands out very big tho. Partial, as in meaning there's more? Jeez, and that's only Okanogan NF? You have one fine database. NN up.gif
The TRIS database is a fairly recent one, and didn't include some of the trails that had been abandoned or destroyed many years earlier. I obtained it from Bill Sunderland. I'm helping the WTA in preparing a new trail database for their web site. Not sure how soon it will be done. I have completed the Okanogan and Colville NF's and am working on Umatilla. The other NF's were taken up by other members of the team. In the process I have dramatically increased the length of my hiking "to do" list.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostThu Dec 05, 2002 9:01 pm 
Sawyer wrote:
Hoping to add that list to the Abandoned Trails site
I've e-mailed the source file (and also Colville NF/Priest Lake RD) to the address on that web page.

ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostMon Dec 16, 2002 3:51 am 
MRNP trails off maps
All trails entering MRNP have been yanked off USGS and Green Trails maps. I've been on three such trails relatively recently. These trails are on USGS maps from the 1980s.

reststep

reststep
PostMon Dec 16, 2002 9:12 am 
In Olympic National Park the Lake Success trail has been pulled from the Mt. Olson USGS map.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostMon Dec 16, 2002 9:56 am 
At one time there was a list of abandoned trails in Mt Rainier Nat'l Park. It was on a website that no longer exists. Anybody have a full copy of it? I only have a partial copy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Dec 16, 2002 12:44 pm 
Oooo. Post it! Post it! (even if it is just partial) agree.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Dec 16, 2002 1:42 pm 
ajgoodkids wrote:
All trails entering MRNP have been yanked off USGS and Green Trails maps. I've been on three such trails relatively recently. These trails are on USGS maps from the 1980s.
Does this mean the Pacific Crest Trail has been removed?

Art is an adventure.
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostMon Dec 16, 2002 7:05 pm 
Sorry, Sore, it's hardcopy. Sawyer

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Dec 16, 2002 9:03 pm 
I haven't been by in a while and I was very happy to see all of your replies on my orginal topic. Cool hat so many of us care about the trails! As for my apology: as those of you who know me on Backpacker.com know, I'm twitterpatted with my new boyfriend/slash/hiking partner so I haven't been online lately to check everything out. biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Dec 17, 2002 2:04 am 
Sawyer wrote:
Sorry, Sore, it's hardcopy. Sawyer
Well goddammit man, scan it then! Sheesh, work with me here! tongue.gif winksmile.gif Maybe you could at least indulge us as to some of the areas where they may be?

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostTue Dec 17, 2002 7:38 am 
Sawyer no have high tech gadgets like microwave, TV, mobile phone, or OCR scanner. Sawyer only have slide scanner. Ugh, me caveman. Will search through reams of abandoned trails data one of these days. Have big update to do, but currently in back of cave barely simmering over coals. Stay tuned (if you have a radio).

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSat Dec 28, 2002 10:09 pm 
I have added the milage to the earlier post listing Okanogan abandoned/unmaintained trails.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Dec 15, 2003 7:32 pm 
Rich Baldwin wrote:
The vast majority of abandoned trails are due to lack of maintenance and/or destruction caused by to roadbuilding or resource extraction, particularly logging. In some cases they are combined with other trails, rerouted and/or renumbered. The FS used to maintain a large network of trails for firefighting, but they abandoned many of those years ago. I suspect the trails heading to the Canadian border (except PCT) are not high on the priority list since most of them aren't going to a popular destination. BTW, here's a partial list of abandoned/unmaintained in the Okanogan NF (including the section of Mt Baker/Snoqualmie east of NCNP, which is administered by Okanogan). Quite a few of these are in the Pasayten Wilderness. Milage added, per request [12/28]. Sorry it took longer than planned. -RB Abernathy #527.4 [1.6]....... ......... Windy Creek #489 [2.5]
Just wondering if this list has been updated with the other trails? Any chance I could get a copy of the original db for personal use? Thanks, N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
pianodirt

pianodirt
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 12:56 am 
Newt wrote:
I may have posted this once before but will again. Check out Early Washington Maps: A Digital Collection. Takes you to a search and there are a number of old Rainier maps with trails. Lots of goodies. UW Library NN smile.gif
GREAT site! I've played around with the java applet for viewing the quads. Is there a way to download a decent resolution image of the full quads? In any case, still very fun and useful.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 6:19 am 
The historical Topos are downloadable, you will need to down load and install the MrSid viewer.