Forum Index > Trail Talk > Disapearing trails on new topos
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 11:29 am 
Another un-pc cover, this one courtesy of the Mountaineers' 1974 edition of "Trips and Trails, 2". Quark. putting the period outside the quotation marks has to do with esthetics, not grammar. dizzy.gif This cover's kind of like one of those kids' puzzle pictures, "How many mistakes can you find in this picture?" Anyway, this cover picture really turned me on, "back then". Discovering that that sort of camping was already passe kept me out of the woods for twenty years. Deciding that I could do it anyway devilsmile.gif got me back. I do, at least, use a fire ring, agree.gif and my fires are definitely more pc (if there's such a thing as a pc fire).

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
troutman

troutman
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 4:36 pm 
Most of the routes in this book has not been surveyed even at the time of publishing. There were still theories on how one could get from one area to the next even though it had never been done before.
book cover
book cover

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 6:37 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
Another un-pc cover, this one courtesy of the Mountaineers' 1974 edition of "Trips and Trails, 2". This cover's kind of like one of those kids' puzzle pictures, "How many mistakes can you find in this picture?"
Cotton? N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Karen

Karen
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 6:58 pm 
Photo
Camping too close to the water. And just WHERE did they get that firewood? And why are they having such a big fire? It looks like a nice, summer evening to me. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Dec 18, 2003 2:31 pm 
Those are the ones that struck me, Karen, though I will camp that close to the water if I'm somewhere offtrail. Also, although I don't think it really counts as a "mistake", I will invariably pitch my tent so that the view is visable through the entrance.
American Border Peaks and Mt Larrabee ...... as seen from inside my tent!
American Border Peaks and Mt Larrabee ...... as seen from inside my tent!

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostThu Dec 18, 2003 6:15 pm 
Yup. Like Scrooge said.
crwfrdtent
crwfrdtent

JimK

JimK
PostThu Dec 18, 2003 8:11 pm 
A vice view from the tents?
Pilot Tents
Pilot Tents

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostThu Dec 18, 2003 9:41 pm 
lopper wrote:
Yup. Like Scrooge said.
is that an rei crestline tent?

touron

touron
PostThu Dec 18, 2003 9:48 pm 
The Crestline tent was on my gear wish list when I was little. I'm guessing it's not a Crestline as I thought the Crestline had a partial beige colored sidewall to it. The Crestline, an REI Cruiser pack, the Monarch sleeping bag. Depending on which order I added up the prices on the calculator, sometimes I could afford it and somtimes I couldn't. dizzy.gif One of the funkier tents they had I think was called the Highlite. It had roll up sidewalls with mosquito netting.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostThu Dec 18, 2003 9:55 pm 
touron wrote:
The Crestline tent was on my gear wish list when I was little. I'm guessing it's not a Crestline as I thought the Crestline had a partial beige colored sidewall to it. The Crestline, an REI Cruiser pack, the Monarch sleeping bag. Depending on which order I added up the prices on the calculator, sometimes I could afford it and somtimes I couldn't. dizzy.gif One of the funkier tents they had I think was called the Highlite. It had roll up sidewalls with mosquito netting.
i have a 1973 crestline (date and name tags sewn in the door seams) and it's solid orange with a solid yellow rainfly. lopper's tent looks like a crestline because of the a-frame poles and the funny round rear vent, but mine has 2 pullouts on each side, his only has one (or so it looks like it from the photo. decent tent, but heavy by today's standards. and i'm always worried that one of the pole connectors will break and rei won't have any spares left.. the low-ender was a crestline with the rear end about 1-1/2 feet shorter and much lighter.

PostFri Dec 19, 2003 7:13 am 
yup, towards the view.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostFri Dec 19, 2003 9:45 am 
marzsit: My orange relic is an REI High-Ender. It has the old-style blue-on-white embroidered REI label---date stamped July 1971. Many moons, many miles. That photo is from Aug 2003.

BdCast

BdCast
PostThu Apr 07, 2016 12:29 am 
Resurrecting an old topic from 2003! eek.gif Anyone have any new information on obtaining old trail maps/guide books? Is there a web resource nowadays, or is the best way to try and track down physical copies of the original maps? As mentioned in this thread, there were trails in the MRNP that were since dropped from current USGS Topo maps. It would be really entertaining to see these trails and learn more about what the national park used to be like before its current version. Ive found this resource helpful, albeit very slow and I'm not sure how accurate it is... USGS Historical Map Archive Thanks everyone!

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Apr 07, 2016 1:37 am 
I can't comment specifically for mount rainier national park, but as web resources go USGS historical archives is decent. Something to remember is to check the different map scales available. Not all trail made it to the most detailed scale. While it may not be possible to navigate via larger scale maps they can give a clue there may be something hidden. If you learn why a trail was built, and how they are built and located it's often easy to predict where an abandoned trail is located. The problem i find with web resources is it often the same plagiarized blog post that has any accuracy paraphrased away. Old books and maps trump any web resources. E Bay, and Amazon are good places to look for such items.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
BdCast

BdCast
PostThu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
I can't comment specifically for mount rainier national park, but as web resources go USGS historical archives is decent. Something to remember is to check the different map scales available. Not all trail made it to the most detailed scale. While it may not be possible to navigate via larger scale maps they can give a clue there may be something hidden. If you learn why a trail was built, and how they are built and located it's often easy to predict where an abandoned trail is located. The problem i find with web resources is it often the same plagiarized blog post that has any accuracy paraphrased away. Old books and maps trump any web resources. E Bay, and Amazon are good places to look for such items.
Okay cool. That's what I assumed but thought I'd ask. Ordered some vintage hiking book for MRNP, hopefully they have some cool maps or hints to old trails in them. Do you happen to have any recommendations for just general Washington hiking trails books? Any vintage reading with maps that I might be interested in? smile.gif