Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wild Sky Wilderness bill passes Senate
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
REJ

REJ
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 8:28 am 
Will Sky Wilderness bill passed the Senate and awaits vote in the House. Everett Herald

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 12:36 pm 
3 days to pass the house! Oh, how I hope it does!!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 2:18 pm 
I wouldn't hold my breath. The odds of it getting through this House of Representatives is slim, i'd say. Next year's House will be even worse. And even if it does, it would have get Bush's approval as well. I don't see that happening. Maybe if it was a rider on some other bill, but not as a bill in itself. The current political climate is not oriented toward protection. I hope I am wrong.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 8:08 pm 
and if you are wrong, will you decide that maybe you are making too many assumptions about Bush, or just decide it's a political trick and this proves your assumptions were right? wink.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 8:53 pm 
If the bill passes the House and Bush signs it into law, I will be happy to announce right here in this forum that my belief that the Republicans in power don't give a damn about the environment is wrong. But again, I'm not holding my breath.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 9:18 pm 
According to what I heard, it passed the Senate 96 to 3. As far as what I think...it will pass the House whenever the House gets around to it. Why? Because all of the Washington State Delegation is for it as well as the vast mulitude of sign ons (organiztions) and pressure to do so. Will Bush sign it after it passes the House? I think so. Why? Because it will be something he can show he has done good for the environment. I may be wrong, but I am sticking my foot out on this one and calling it a "done deal." And as far as I am concerned, it's a positive benefit to our region, thus I endorse it.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 10:37 pm 
MCaver wrote:
If the bill passes the House and Bush signs it into law, I will be happy to announce right here in this forum that my belief that the Republicans in power don't give a damn about the environment is wrong. But again, I'm not holding my breath.
Republicans are the way to go! GO REPUBLICANS!!! agree.gif

C Dog

C Dog
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 11:03 pm 
Um, they didn't even CONSIDER it.
The House moved to adjourn without considering the Wild Sky Wilderness Area, a proposal that won bipartisan approval in the Senate as well as broad local support. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/96700_wildsky22.shtml

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 11:07 pm 
McPilchuck wrote:
Will Bush sign it after it passes the House? I think so. Why? Because it will be something he can show he has done good for the environment.
My thoughts exactly. If it passes, I bet it'll be more of an attempt to appease the liberal side of things, to show that he is indeed an conservationist. And then he'll pull the "Look, I made a Wilderness area, I'm not in cahoots with the oil companies" card out when the issues of drilling in ANWR and cutting down forests to prevent forest fires get back on the table. rolleyes.gif If Shrub signs this, I'll hate him less, but I'll still hate him.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 11:18 pm 
I hope that my own cynicism is clouding my judgement. The bipartisan vote in the Senate certainly gives hope, and I didn't realize the bill was cosponsored by a Republican in the House. Maybe this bill has more of a chance than I give credit. I hope so -- I really want this bill to pass. I'm afraid to be hopeful, though. I stick to my pledge. If I am wrong, I will happily admit it. smile.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 11:31 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
And then he'll pull the "Look, I made a Wilderness area, I'm not in cahoots with the oil companies" card out when the issues of drilling in ANWR and cutting down forests to prevent forest fires get back on the table. rolleyes.gif
I just hope it doesn't get renamed to the George W Bush Wilderness. paranoid.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 11:55 pm 
I hope it doesn't happen at all!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Nov 22, 2002 12:33 am 
I hate the "how", but I love the "what". It wouold be huge for us to get this. It sucks that it is likely symbolic, but the result is something most of us will enjoy for the rest of out lives.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Nov 22, 2002 1:16 am 
"If it passes, I bet it'll be more of an attempt to appease the liberal side of things, to show that he is indeed an conservationist." Could it possibly be, maybe, that he *is* a conservationist? I am a conservationist as well and I fiercely disgree with much if not most of what "environmentalists" propose. I can value the environment and *still* favor usage of raw materials. I can favor preservation and still support drilling a tiny percentage of an arctic area. I've never understood why it's all or nothing, why any motion towards conservation is "appeasement" if done by a non enviro, and the same action will be proof of caring for the earth if done by an enviro.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostFri Nov 22, 2002 8:57 am 
Well, it definitely isn't going to happen this year. P-I article: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/96700_wildsky22.shtml But at least nothing is at immediate risk. Since all the various interests (hikers, loggers, snowmobilers, fishermen, etc.) reached an agreement, that agreement will no doubt stay in place until another attempt through congress is made. P-I quote: "Unlike other wilderness areas that are threatened by development or from logging or mining, advocates believe the land encompassed by Wild Sky is safe in the near future. "