Forum Index > Trail Talk > St. Helens updata
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Dec 29, 2005 10:15 pm 
From Yahoo today....
Quote:
It's not entirely clear where the lava is coming from. If it were being generated by the mountain, scientists would expect to see changes in the mountain's shape, its sides compressing as lava is spewed out. At the current rate of extrusion, "three or four months would have been enough time to exhaust what was standing in the conduit. ... The volume is greater than anything that could be standing in a narrow 3-mile pipe," Sherrod said. That suggests resupply from greater depths, which normally would generate certain gases and deep earthquakes. Neither is being detected.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Dec 30, 2005 11:13 am 
PB....are you hauling in the lava?

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostFri Dec 30, 2005 11:33 am 
That's a lot of lava for one guy to haul. More likely the lava is being hauled by the South Cascade Lake Girl Scout Troop.
Quote:
St. Helens' violent May 18, 1980, eruption blasted 3.7 billion cubic yards of ash and debris off the top of the mountain.
Quote:
St. Helens — now 8,325 feet — rumbled for another six years, extruding 97 million cubic yards of lava onto the crater floor in a series of 22 eruptions that built a 876-foot dome.
Quote:
In the past 15 months, the mountain has squeezed out about 102 million cubic yards of lava.
Those volume figures are interesting as I was just having a discussion with someone on this issue. The question was how long it would take the mtn to rebuild if it were to continue erupting over the long term (unlikely as that may be) or rather how much would it rebuild over our lifetimes. If the blast lost 3700 million yds^3 and it has regained 100 million yds^3 in 1.25 years then at that rate it would regain approximately the same volume in about 50 years at the current rate of eruption. I'll be 80 in 50 years so conceivably it could be rebuilt to a good extent within my lifetime. That would be fascinating. Of course that assumes that I don't die and the mountain keeps erupting. And it also assumes that volume of lava extruded equates to volume of rock which may not be the case due to loss of volume from gases bubbling out of the lava, reduced volume from compression of rock as it hardens, lost volume sliding down the mtn, volume sucked back into the tube and many other issues I am not aware of. But it's still fun to think about how different the mtn could be in the future; especially for those of us who were not around to see it before it erupted. I wonder how much volume would have to be spewed out before the center dome exceeded the height of the rim (assuming that the dome was sloped at the same angle as the rest of the mtn)? That might be a more realistic issue for a time scale of less than a century. At that point the location of the summit of the mtn would change, the height of the summit would change, and the summit would be pretty much unattainable due to the heat of the dome as long as it kept erupting.

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Dec 30, 2005 8:28 pm 
Quote:
That's a lot of lava for one guy to haul. More likely the lava is being hauled by the South Cascade Lake Girl Scout Troop.
They told me they do haul lava, but they refer the small jobs to someone else.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Dec 30, 2005 9:16 pm 
Troop 871 from Glassbow, Utah are doing a lava-hauling trip in late June. Several other community and corporate concerns such as Ombudsman Soda, LLC have adopted the project as a team-building activity. Lava-hauling is all the rage nowadays.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 01, 2006 12:04 am 
Including an ombudsman on any project is like sounding its death knell before it's started. It's its own undoing. You're your own worst enemy when you do this. So they're there hauling lava in the summer? Where we're going is this--lava hauling is best done in the winter (not June) as the lava will be cooler then. The original lava haulers were called coolies(1) for this very reason. (1) IBID

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSun Jan 01, 2006 12:13 am 
polarbear wrote:
Including an ombudsman on any project is like sounding its death knell before it's started
Are we talking about the same thing: Omnibus Because I don't have a problem with the double-decker buses, not in the least shakehead.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 01, 2006 12:26 am 
Yes, we are talking about the double decker bus, but how do you know you don't have a problem with them? Do you know yourself that well? You have more levels than that bus, my friend. uhh.gif