Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite Mtn - Denny Crk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
El Puma

El Puma
PostSun Nov 24, 2002 9:21 pm 
Thanks to everyone for all the new ideas I’ve read here! I’m a bit new to this process and not sure about the etiquette of posting “long past” trips, but since reading Sundance Kid’s likewise outdated description, I thought I’d jump in as well! On 18 October, two of us took the standard route to Granite Mountain. The end of the blueberry season was in progress, and lots of them had progressed to a “Spaetlese” quality (for those dessert wine experts among you). An interesting side note: As we picked two Nalgene bottles full, THREE parties passed us by – lamenting how it was too bad they were too late in the year to get any berries! We agreed with them, smiling with purple lips and tongues as we did… I have done pretty extensive backcountry traveling in the Snoqualmie area and am always on the lookout for new adventures (hence my foray into this website). One of which was the direct descent from Granite Mtn to Denny Creek via Crystal and Denny Lake. Due to daylight constraints we skipped Crystal. Followed down the main trail about 1/4 mile. There are lots of little branches leading north; we found one that extended longer than the others but petered out soon as well. Using previously determined ridgetop features as navigational aids, we traversed/descended on the E-slope of a draw which ended up in a gorgeous little platform with flat bedrock and the beginning of a little creek which flows NE into Denny Lake’s main contributor. Fall colors were spectacular – I’ll definitely be back to camp here! Followed said draw down to the lake. Beautiful, partly pretty narrow canyon. Had to exit once or twice to circumnavigate drops. Some light bushwhacking to the lake, BW1 as defined by Mark Dale in: http://www.alpenglow.org/themes/subalpine/brush-ratings.html The lake itself was nice. Few places to camp though. And be sure not to attempt a descent on the SW-side of the lake – unless you like slippery cliff climbing… Decided the best way to proceed was to follow the outflow down. Travel was actually easier in a pretty open section of forest leading to a boulderfield with fallen trees (lots of above-ground travel) about 300yds S of the actual outflow. This led down a draw which was parallel but not as pronounced as the outflow, and merged with it about halfway to Denny Creek. The going got tougher as the rocks were getting very slippery and circumnavigation thereof was becoming increasingly impossible on account of brush. After descending (rappelling via Willow) over a very distinct step we were in IT. Constant BW2 with occasional BW3 and even one section of BW4 – try backtracking in that stuff! Note: Distinct “fern alleys” provided easiest travel – they also had the largest Devil’s Club which made it easier to circumnavigate. Within 1/2 mile of Denny Creek the evergreens provided shade so the small growth thinned out and going got much easier. My goal was to come out at the upper bridge (no GPS, just dead reckoning)– when we hit the creek we were able to SEE the bridge 1/4 mile up which I deemed very successful. River crossing was uneventful due to late season flow. Hike out was relaxing – we had previously deposited bikes at trailhead and used same to descend to car at Granite Mtn TH. Great adventure. Overall I prefer to do these in the early spring, going over willows in the snow as opposed to through them, but the fall colors, flow of the creeks, smell of the mosses, squirrels gathering food, eagles gathering squirrels etc made it very enjoyable (other than removing Devils Club thorns for days…) http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5253065&e=615818&s=2&size=l Cheers-

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message