Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Trail Ethic
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
crazycamper

crazycamper
PostSun Jan 15, 2006 10:10 am 
Hello All First post, but have been lurking for years. Was wondering what is the ethic on hiking in wet weather on trails, Do you hike directly on the trail or do you go around the streams coming down the trail. I personally slog thru the water as I hate seeing side trails that make the trails wider, Any thoughts would be great. smile.gif Crazycamper

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSun Jan 15, 2006 12:06 pm 
Welcome crazycamper My first goal when encountering water on the trail, is to divert the stream where it first comes into contact with the trail, so as not ot encourage any further erosion. If the trail is muddy, then walking in the middle will only deepen the rut, not good. Choose routes around the water when possible, but do be aware of trampling something that maybe fragile. C.J.

mgd

mgd
PostSun Jan 15, 2006 3:11 pm 
I try not to create new trails. I try to use opportune rocks and branches. But if it's a choices between sloshing through muck and walking around it, I'll walk around it.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Jan 15, 2006 6:12 pm 
It depends on how deep the mud/water is. If it's not over the boots, or I can toss in some handy rocks to hop on, I'll go on through the mud. If it's over the boots and there isn't anything handy to cross on I'll go around - keeping to rocks and logs as much as possible. It also kind of depends on which stage of the hike I encounter the mud in. Heading in, I'm much more careful about keeping my feet dry than I am heading out.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Jan 15, 2006 9:47 pm 
I do what jen does, 'cause the wider you make the mudhole, the more damage is done. But yeah, sometimes you just can't stay on the trail, and must go around. The headlands on the coast are a prime example - you can't even see the bottom of some of those mudholes; some are like quicksand. And Lake 22 trail before it was re-built - heck you'd lose a small child in some of those mudholes. But I try to stay on the trail, if possible. But the very definition of mudhole is relative. It kills me that people go out & buy goretex boots, gaiters and other plasticware, and yet are still afraid to get their delicate tootsies muddy. I hiked with a freind once, who was all decked out in the latest plastic fashion from REI, and just about busted his damn-fool headbone open when he fell while trying to tippy-toe and rock-hop through little more than an inch of water. "Duh, lessee uhh.gif - busted brain...dry boots. uhh.gif Busted brain...dry boots. I choose busted brain." nerd.gif You're supposed to get muddy out there; within reason.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostSun Jan 15, 2006 11:41 pm 
If your boots will fill with mud or water go around. If your boots will not fill with mud or water go through. Yes, try to cross using rocks or logs when possible but leave them unturned. My friends live under them. hockeygrin.gif
Quark wrote:
You're supposed to get muddy out there; within reason.
That's correct! up.gif

Sticker on the back of my 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia: Jesus Is My Airbag
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Jan 15, 2006 11:44 pm 
OK, one of the "delicate tootsies" is confessing. I admit to wearing goretex boots & gaiters, which may have been purchased from REI. When I approach a muddy section, let alone a puddle, my subconscious directs my feet to avoid the mud & water. As I'm passing thru the "politically incorrect" meter goes off the scale and wakes me up, but too late. I've passed thru with dry, unmuddy feet... until the next one. But by then my conscience has fallen asleep again.... clown.gif

crazycamper

crazycamper
PostMon Jan 16, 2006 7:36 pm 
Thank to all who responded i will keep all in mind. smile.gif C.C.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Jan 16, 2006 9:17 pm 
Kat wrote:
OK, one of the "delicate tootsies" is confessing. I admit to wearing goretex boots & gaiters, which may have been purchased from REI. When I approach a muddy section, let alone a puddle, my subconscious directs my feet to avoid the mud & water. As I'm passing thru the "politically incorrect" meter goes off the scale and wakes me up, but too late. I've passed thru with dry, unmuddy feet... until the next one. But by then my conscience has fallen asleep again.... clown.gif
Don't feel bad about taking advantage of the rocks, roots, and downed limbs. They're there to be stepped upon. Your goretex investment is going to start acting like a plastic bag as soon as your boots are coated with mud. If a person didn't get enough puddle splashing and mud work as a kid, then I say go for it. Otherwise, let the rain be the source of water for your uppers; let the trail's contribution stop at the welt.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostThu Jan 19, 2006 8:39 pm 
I will always just go right through the puddles if they are small. I sort of think that if a place is harder to get to, it is a better place to go to. Therefore, I have no problem helping a trail deteriorate because that adds to the challenge and adventure of hiking it. smile.gif

Dante

Dante
PostFri Jan 20, 2006 9:17 am 
LunchBox73 wrote:
If your boots will fill with mud or water go around. If your boots will not fill with mud or water go through. Yes, try to cross using rocks or logs when possible but leave them unturned. My friends live under them. hockeygrin.gif
Quark wrote:
You're supposed to get muddy out there; within reason.
That's correct! up.gif
Pretty much sums up my policy.