Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Craggy (8470) and West Craggy (8366)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Nov 26, 2002 10:06 pm 
I climbed these two peaks today and was surprised to see so little snow even at almost 8,500'. The peaks were almost barren of snow. Only in the gullies did it remain. Bumped into Stefan's name on both peaks from Sept 29 of this year. Both of these summits were climbed over an 8 hour day trip with the night spent in Twisp as the drive is sooooo long over SR 20. You drive east to Winthrop and then north on the West Chewuch Road (turns into FS road 51) for 9.5 miles. Then turn left on 8 Mile Creek Road (FS 5130) and drive on that for 12.3 miles until you see on the left a sign for Copper Glance Creek Trail 519 (elevation 3900') . We hiked the trail running into light snowpack at 4,900'. When we met up with Copper Glance Creek at ~5900' we went up the right side following the creek to its headwaters. There we went to the saddle between West Craggy and Big Craggy at 7650'. We climbed West Craggy first and then I soloed Big Craggy as my partner had already done that peak. I dropped down the SE ridge of Big Craggy until reaching the trail which initially brought us to the creek. Both of these peaks are Bulger Peaks which was the main attraction for me. They are probably the farthest east of the Bulger Peaks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message