Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Fontal, near Monroe. 1-24-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jan 24, 2006 11:48 pm 
The weather today was just too good to stay home and I haven't done a lowland hike in awhile. I've been wanting to do some geocaches in this area, so off I went. This area used to be a fishing/camping spot that many used, but locked gates and logging has turned it into a semi private area. Heading out of Monroe I took 203 south to the High Rock Rd and then to the Lake Fontal Rd. This road turns to gravel and was gated today. From here it's about 1/2 mile to a junction and another couple gates. The one south was open and leads to who knows where. The other gate to the N is locked and is the one you want to be on if you are going to Lake Fontal. It's been about 20 years since I've been in here, so I decided to go the old way past Camp Hamilton church camp and Lake Hannan. My map showed this to be the only way.......Lots of signs and certain death warned me not to go further, but it was too nice of a day and I really wanted to see what this lake looked like. I chanced a life in eternal hell and trespassed.
Beach area by Lk Hannan.
Beach area by Lk Hannan.
Wow, now I know where all that money goes! Nice cabins and beach and some very nice lodges led me past and up the road north. I followed an old road and then back out to a newer logging road. Everything looked different without any trees, so I went the wrong way. After about 1/4 mile I could see Fontal, so I turned around and was shortly at the lake.
Lake Fontal looking west.
Lake Fontal looking west.
View looking N.
View looking N.
This lake was once mobbed with people camping and fishing and is very peaceful now. Back to the logging road junction and off to the north to the ridge above the lake. Moss/grass covered road led me about 1 mile and 500 ft. above Lake Fontal and views in all directions. Several grouse exploded from the road side along the way. At the top of the ridge I took a lunck break and enjoyed the wide ranging views. Monroe was close enough to spit on as was Lake Fontal below me. Sun was so warm that I hated to leave.
Sky River
Sky River
Lake Fontal looking south.
Lake Fontal looking south.
Futher down and then up the road led me to another geocache and more views south and east. Road conditions were rapidly deterorating as alders and hemlocks have fallen across the road and it's more a trail. As I approached the turn around point of my hike a large bear jumped up from a peaceful sleep that I evidently disturbed. A quick look in my direction and off he crashed through the new growth. The end of the road gave me some views to the east and south with Mt Rainier looming over the horizon.
Looking east
Looking east
Looking south
Looking south
Hike back out I jumped a few more grouse and a bobcat near the lower gate. About 8 miles with 600 ft elevation gain. I saw more wildlife than any hike I've been on in months. Sometimes you can find a gem right in your own back yard. I'll be back.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jan 25, 2006 2:18 am 
What's access to the lake's outlet like?

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Jan 25, 2006 2:25 am 
I came in on the east side of the lake, so that access is fine. The gate about 200 ft. from the lake is pulled out, so quads and motorcycles have been in there.

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostWed Jan 25, 2006 7:36 pm 
Is there any truth to the rumor that someone bought the land around the lake and was going to develop it in the next few years? I have been all over that area, and it really is special. From my house in Monroe, it is only seven miles to the lake, and I can reach it in only about an hour and ten minutes if I ride my bike the whole way. It sounds like you really did it the wrong way. There is an excellent road all the way to the inlet stream.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Jan 25, 2006 10:03 pm 
I saw a post that said King Lake properties bought 163 acres around the lake, but wasn't able to find anything to back that up. That area might be history if they start selling off lots. I saw a Proposed Land Use sign near the main gate on the unlogged chunk of land that listed the Monroe School District. I wonder how they became owners of that property???? Actually the road by the camp is much shorter than the main way in. I came back out that road and it takes you much further north and west. Some yahoos shot up about 5 boxes of shot gun shells and there were empties all up and down the road for miles. They even stopped long enough to shoot up and knock down a 30ft alder across the road. Bunch of morons!