Forum Index > Gear Talk > lightweight leather boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Nov 28, 2002 3:49 am 
OK. my Asolo 530s are officially dead. The lasts are broken, and the soles are slick, but I can't seem to get rid of them despite falling down at 3rd and Union in them on a rain-slicked night a few weeks ago. I need to replace these boots. For outside, I got a pair of Zamberlain Civettas this past summer, and this takes care of part of it. They are great boots, and whenever I have more than 20# or so on my back, or will maybe see snow, they are it. Otherwise, I need a pair of nice and light, all leather, no goretex, boots, that I can both hike in and work in. Trail runners don't have enough stability for either, given my busticated ankles. GT is too hot for working indoors and too hot for outside in high summer too. I hate getting my feets wet also. So what is out there, you crazy gear junkies? I need help.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
El Puma

El Puma
PostThu Nov 28, 2002 8:32 am 
You may want to check out the Cabelas website or catalog. My feet are very difficult to fit and I got a pair of what they define as hunting boots (almost sounds like treason in this forum) that are very light and ultra-comfortable. They have 2 years and about 60 hikes on them and are holding up well. Made by Meindl of Germany but adorned with the Cabelas label. They change lines frequently; it may be a bit difficult to order without trying them on but they have a great return policy. I was lucky enough to be in MN and stop by the store. This is similar to what I got - I really love the high ankle support! Admin note: you can encode long links like this. Here is something you may be more interested in due to no GT/Thinsulate: Locally, if you have some time, the best/cheapest selection seems to be the back room (outcasts) at Outdoor&More on Westlake. Brand-wise, I've had great luck with Salomons, but that may be attributed to my fit. They also seem to be getting out of the hiking boot business...The old Authentic8's I had were my all-time favorites but finally went the way of your Asolo's... Good luck!

Bootstrap

Bootstrap
PostThu Nov 28, 2002 9:15 am 
Yeah, if you find boots without those smelly cloth linings, that wear out after 28 trips, and cause blisters... (whine, whine), let us know. I'd like to find an all-leather boot. Light or heavy. Yeah, I know all-leather takes a lot longer to dry out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Nov 29, 2002 7:12 pm 
Most Ecxellent Leather Boots
I recommend browsing at WWW.scarpa-us.com. Scarpa has a whole line of women’s boots.

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostFri Nov 29, 2002 10:39 pm 
I haven't tried this brand of boot, but just read good reviews of Kayland boots. Not sold at REI but is sold in Canada. Anyone heard of this brand at www.kayland.com?

salish

salish
PostSat Nov 30, 2002 9:43 am 
I was going to simply suggest Sundowners, but I forgot about the goretex lining. I don't care for goretex lining, either. It will be interesting to see if there are any decent boots on the market without it, or some form of it, in their boots.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostFri Dec 13, 2002 1:41 am 
DROCK wrote:
I haven't tried this brand of boot, but just read good reviews of Kayland boots. Not sold at REI but is sold in Canada. Anyone heard of this brand at www.kayland.com?
Kayland boots seem to rock... Sean Issac wore them at a clinic he did for us and BD recently They have plenty of hybrid mixed climbing boots, some sweet ass full shank high altitude boots, plenty of hybrid fabric boots that all look very cool to me. Might be my next pair, especially the K1's http://www.kayland.com/windows/w-k1.html

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Dec 13, 2002 4:48 am 
I ended up getting some sweet Montrails over at Hikey Town. Not sure of the model, but they are very similar to the Asolo 530s, I would assume they came from the same factory in China. rolleyes.gif No Goretex in them. The guy at Hikey Town tried to discourage me from putting wax on them, but it has worked just fine for decades. They retail for $140, but I got last year's color for $100. Worked in them a few times, and worth every penny. Feet happy, as happy as mine ever get. biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 13, 2002 11:00 am 
In case anyone is looking for a sweet deal, Campmor has some nice Montrails on sale for $69.97. Plus, if you use MSN Passport at checkout (before Dec. 22) you get another 20% back in MSN Cash (for a net price of $56).

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostTue Dec 17, 2002 11:28 am 
scot'teryx, Do you know where kayland boots are available to try on or purchase ? I didn't see them available at the MEC up in Vancouver through the website. drock

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Dec 17, 2002 6:28 pm 
The boots Tom speaks of look like a swell deal, but they aren't all leather uppers, which means your feet might get a little wet!

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostWed Dec 18, 2002 12:07 am 
DROCK wrote:
scot'teryx, Do you know where kayland boots are available to try on or purchase ? I didn't see them available at the MEC up in Vancouver through the website. drock
DROCK I dont know of anyone around Seattle that does, but you might want to email Kayland to find out if there are anyone who sells them I do know the www.rockcreekoutfitters.com carry some online

trask

trask
PostWed Dec 25, 2002 9:21 am 
allison wrote:
I can't seem to get rid of them despite falling down at 3rd and Union in them on a rain-slicked night a few weeks ago. help.
My advice Allison...lay off the sauce. hehehe

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Dec 25, 2002 5:54 pm 
Yah, especially since I was on a dinner break from work at the time. rolleyes.gif