Forum Index > Trip Reports > Keechelus Ridge (Point 5151') - 11/29/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Nov 29, 2002 7:36 pm 
With the girlfriend in full shopping mode, I was able to escape for a few hours into the hills near Snoqualmie Pass. I departed Seattle at the crack of 12:30 PM and made my way east not knowing exactly where I was headed, but wanting to get up high on some dirt roads with views. I'd remembered there was a Homecourt peak somewhere just east of the pass that was nearly a drive-up (my new thing). Point 5151' is the high point on Keechelus Ridge and lies due south of Baker Lake. With 631' feet of whopping prominence it sneaks in at number 88 on the Homecourt list. There are a couple ways to get to the 5000' parking area, both of which utilize FS Road 4934 to get to the radio tower shown on the quad near the summit. I drove over the pass then took Exit 62 and crossed over to the north side of I-90. I followed the paved road at most 2 miles until I came to the turn off for 4934 on my left. I followed the road on up always staying on the main drag which is obvious. At 4280' there is a 3-way intersection with 4934 heading off straight ahead. The main drag however curves up to the right which I followed all the way to the radio tower at roughly 5000'. Wearing jeans and tennis shoes, I headed off into the brush carrying my water bottle in one hand and my camera in the other - I felt quite hardcore at this point with my one essential and tourist-like attire. rolleyes.gif I made my way east to a large flat then picked up the ridge proper heading more SE. I had to hike uphill at this point something my fast drive from 0'-5000' had not prepared me for. I cursed the elevation gain, but persisted nonetheless ( dizzy.gif ) through nice open forest. At 5050' I picked up a faint trail and now my hopes for a first ascent were dashed (insert curse word mad.gif ). The trail headed in the general direction I wanted to go, but after about 5 minutes it faded away and I once again gained about 20' to get myself back on the ridge crest. After maneuvering around some rocks and troublesome snags I found myself at the end of the ridge looking east to surprisingly pleasant views. No summit register or cairn was found to no surprise. After a minute or two, loud gunfire woke me from a stupor, so I sped back the way I had come making it back to my truck in no time. On the way out I drove back down to 4280’ where I had left 4934 earlier. This time I followed it westerly and it took me back to the Lake Lillian trailhead and then on to Gold Creek and I-90; fun road to drive. Allow me to post my stats for the day: 1 mile, 253', and 25 minutes car to car. rolleyes.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 4:25 pm 
Hey Randy...Thanks for the beta on this one. I climbed it today and my wife was able to accompany me. The phone transmission was great. I called my relatives and shared the experience. Across the valley is Kachess Ridge and Hard Knox, two more Homecourt peaks which have to be visited.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 5:38 pm 
Mike - Good to hear the two of you were able to get out today. It is a nice drive on up to 5000' along that road. Kachess Ridge looks like another drive-up that I might try if the snows stay away. Which one is Hard Knox? The other near drive-up that I know about in the area is Ugly Duckling (Point 5140') near Swan Lake. Karen and I might try it next week sometime.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 5:38 pm 
I always enjoy the trip reports you guys post but could you clear up your reference to homecourt peaks. Where would I find a list? Thanks

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 5:46 pm 
The list (among others) is posted here

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 6:09 pm 
Thanks Randy up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 6:46 pm 
There is a road which goes right up to Kachess Ridge but I don't know if it is gated off of Kachess Road. Both peaks could be tagged on one outing with Hard Knox being about equidistant from the saddle to the north as Kachess Ridge is to the south. Let me know where Ugly Duckling is as I will have a hard time climbing it if I can't locate it on a map. My goal is to climb 90 of the peaks by spring. I am up to 84 now.

IBEX

IBEX
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 7:12 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
Let me know where Ugly Duckling is.
Peak=Ugly Duckling, Map=Chikamin Peak, Home Court=#089, Height=5140T, Cord=47-23’00”N 121-18’04” W, Location=1.0mi NE of Swan Lake. aka (Swan Lake Pk.).

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 6:16 am 
Thanks IBEX...Do you know the condition of the spur road that goes close to the summit. I have high clearance. Otherwise I will have to gain a whopping 1300 feet from the road. It looks feasible to climb three peaks in a day: Ugly Duckling, Hard Knox, and Kachess Ridge.