Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Sheep may safely graze - Signs of a bygone era
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 11:17 pm 
Heya, check out this sign I found on the Indian Creek trail (from White River area) last fall. It was near an old cabin site just before the PCT. A lot of the Glacier Peak area was inundated by sheep in the early decades of the 20th century. I've found a few old sheep trails (as mentioned in Routes and Rocks, 1965) but this is the only evidence I've uncovered so far.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 4:33 pm 
Don't sheep still graze in some of these areas? I thought I'd seen some somewhere, maybe going over Cooper Pass a few years ago.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 5:00 pm 
They still graze them on Rainy creek in the clearcuts. I see them every few years, and saw them this year. I've also seen them on Van Creek over in the Entiat range and on the backside down into Ardenvoir from French Corral sneaky route into the Entiat River. This year, I came around a corner just before the Minotaur TH turnoff and there's a Basque/Gypsy style wheeled trailer thing with the curved sides and all, a guy with a long beard, dark hair and eyes, sitting on a stump smoking a pipe alongside the road. He's watching two dogs who are prowling the edges of the road, and all over the clear cut on the uphill side of the road there are sheep grazing away on fireweed or something. We own one sheep, and seeing hundreds of them happily munching away was pretty cool. I waved and he waved back, and I thought of this guy spending his days watching his sheep in the mtns while I go there to play. I never get over the variety in this nation.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tech-no

Tech-no
PostSun Feb 03, 2002 5:11 pm 
What, you can make a living just watching sheep in the mountains? Makes me want to boot my office computer out the window. lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster