Forum Index > Trail Talk > Survivorman
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 7:31 am 
Did anyone catch the Discovery channels Survivorman yesterday? I thought it was pretty interesting. The guy gets dropped off in northern Canada in the fall and films himself trying to survive for a week while he trys to find a road or something to get back home. The whole time he kind of makes a few mistakes, but he also points out where he has made mistakes as well. A good learning experience.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 am 
I caught the last 15 minutes or so. It looked interesting. From the little I saw I got the impression he was learning a few things himself, as opposed to simply lecturing on survival. I'd watch it again. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
ebaammo

ebaammo
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 10:48 am 
I watched one of these...not bad. He admitted his mistakes, admitted that he did some things for the camera only, and he survived on berries for a week. Pretty good, actually.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Mar 09, 2007 12:08 pm 
3 episodes of Survivorman repeat tonight, Friday March 9, starting at 8:00 on Discovery. More authentic/less contrived (it's still made for TV) than Man vs. Wild, but perhaps less personality than Grizz.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostFri Mar 09, 2007 12:20 pm 
Survivorman is a much better show than Man V Wild IMO. MvW has a crew with him, and seems to take extraordinary risks. It's more of a reality show for mainstream watchers. It's entertaining to watch him catch a fish and then proceed to eat it immediately like he was a bear. Or, to find a dead zebra on the plains of Africa, and then proceed to consume part of it. He's also tossed himself into a raging river to float a few miles to a road. While watching that episode I swear I saw he had a life vest on under his coat....he was supposed to be using his pack for flotation. Unfortuntatly there are only a few Survivormans episodes, 6-7 I believe: Far Canadian North, Ontario plane crash, Deep South Swamp, Costa Rican jungle (this is a good one, he doesn't like all the creepy bugs at night), Lost at sea, and Lost in the Desert. A few missing maybe, but I've seen them all several times.

M-Dart32

M-Dart32
PostFri Mar 09, 2007 8:45 pm 
I haven't seen Survivorman, I'll try to catch an episode tonight, but even though Man vs Wild dude might go on the extreme side of things, like the huge glisade he did in Alaska, but he's also taught some valid points. For example how he found water in the Grand Canyon by following the sounds of the bugs.

"Fortune favors the brave." Aeneid Virgil (70 BC - 19 BC)
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Mar 09, 2007 8:48 pm 
Surviverman
Caught part of Costa Rica episode last night. Big spiders and creepy crawlies AFTER he leaves the sea coast, that beach that Man vs. Wilde/Grizz may admonish, since his treks take him from inland isolation to seek coastal or river shore in search of the inevitable rescue. Of course, Grizz is always lucky and gets the rescue. Still, these shows are well filmed and exciting and have some of the finest scenery ever seen on the tube, EVER! The Alps episode is only exceded by the Alaskan. Poor Surviverman, he was showing us a water source from a vine and cut the vine...and a finger to the bone. There he is trying to hide obvious pain and realizing he is in jungle and infection is likely and dangerous. I decided to take the pups for a walk and not squirm in my chair.

hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostSat Mar 10, 2007 4:25 pm 
whistlingmarmot wrote:
Costa Rican jungle (this is a good one, he doesn't like all the creepy bugs at night)
Oh man, I've been in the Costa Rican Jungle at night. We left on a really bright light so we could check out all of the bugs and I have to say I'd be a bit worried to have any one of them crawling on me if it was dark. I found a dead baby scorpion on my bed after I woke up in the morning. I guess I rolled over it in my sleep.

Canuck

Canuck
PostSat Mar 10, 2007 5:10 pm 
whistlingmarmot wrote:
While watching that episode I swear I saw he had a life vest on under his coat....he was supposed to be using his pack for flotation.
He was. I read an interview with him awhile back and he said the producers made him wear one under his shirt for part of it, but then of course, he got all macho on his producer and said it's my way or the highway (I'm paraphrasing) and now he says all the risky stuff is on his terms. whatever. I think the show is entertaining but totally hokey.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Mar 10, 2007 7:53 pm 
Survivorman is up.gif. His website says his second season was picked up, but I haven't seen it aired yet. Much better than Man vs Wild. Edit: Looking at his site, it seems he's still filming season 2.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 10:45 pm 
Season 2 starts August 10. Bear Grylls can stuff it. biggrin.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Jul 21, 2007 12:19 am 
o yeah he CAN stuff it!! winksmile.gif Oh that was BAD!!! lol.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

NW Outdoorsman

NW Outdoorsman
PostSat Jul 21, 2007 2:49 pm 
Bear Grylls
I personally think Bear Grylls is a bad ass and that his show will last longer on network television than Survivorman. This is mainly due to his personality and theatrics, which are better than the Survivorman's. Props to Survivorman though, I just don't think he has what it takes to captivate an audience like Bear Grylls does.

"The summit is just the halfway point" Northwest Outdoors blog
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSat Jul 21, 2007 7:43 pm 
I like crossbreeding. Suvivorman vs Wild. Wherein the Star does stupid stunts but has the camera crew that follows him around to rescue him when he jumps into the raging torrent and the grizzly eats his water bottle and uses his flint fire starter to make a fire and cook him. hmmmmmmm....baked bear!

don't believe everything you think
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jul 22, 2007 2:41 pm 
Looks like an MvW marathon on Discovery today. Tazz will be happy. hmmm.gif I think I've figured out what bugs me about it, aside from the camera crew. It seems like it's become less about survival techniques and more like Fear Factor. What disgusting thing will Bear eat/drink this week? Elephant dung? Sheep eyeballs? What extreme measures will he take this week? Rapelling down a waterfall? Jumping in a glacial river? Makes me wonder if those are really the best way to deal with that situation, or if he's doing it to either show off or go for ratings. I also question some of the editing and whether they are showing what really happened. That said, it's still a good show and better than 99.9% of what is on TV these days. But I still think Survivorman is better. I'm looking forward to the new season.