Forum Index > Food & Grub > Skin Protection
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
redforest

redforest
PostThu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 pm 
I normally hike below tree line and I don’t use sunscreen because of my skin allergies. Before hikes I put some pure jojoba oil on exposed areas of my skin. Sometimes jojoba oil doesn’t absorb well and my face looks too oily. Recently a fellow hiker recommended me a Viking Mask moisturizer. Are there other “natural” moisturizers without sunblock out there? Thank you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Sep 16, 2016 12:42 pm 
Please consult your physician! None of those "natural" moisturizers will block the UV rays that cause skin cancer. Either something opaque like zinc or titanium dioxide (clown makeup) or clothing with a tested high SPF blocking factor will do the job. I'm also allergic to sunscreen, but I cover up with clothing and a dorky hat since the clown makeup option is a lot messier.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Sep 16, 2016 2:38 pm 
Where do you find the "opaque" sunscreens? I've never found them in typical drug stores / supermarkets.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 16, 2016 4:34 pm 
Long sleeves, long pants, a hat with a brim and a bandanna worn under the hat and draping over the neck are the best protection. Above timberline, particularly on snow , sun exposure is a serious issue. 2nd degree burns are possible with blisters and all. If you can't tolerate sun block (spf 70 or more) on your face , get a nose guard for your sunglasses and use another bandanna to shield your face. There is a product called "the buff" that has been sold at REI in recent years that is a stretchy tube that makes a good face sheild. Better to look pretty dorky than to have blisters on your face...

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Sep 16, 2016 4:39 pm 
Conrad, look in the baby care dept. for zinc oxide ointment. For a while, it was being sold as a sunblock in various colors, but I think that option went away. Warning, the stuff is messy and rubs off on clothing, sleeping bag, etc.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Sep 17, 2016 10:57 am 
Although pricey, the various products sold by Sun Precautions (a Seattle-area firm!) are well worth investigating for those who are sun-sensitive, allergic to sunscreen, and/or already have pre-cancerous lesions. Some items (like the hand guards) can easily be duplicated even by those with minimal sewing skills. I wish they had the option of buying their "Solumbra" fabric by the yard! I still prefer my Sunday Afternoons hat to the ones Sun Precautions sells. The Sunday Afternoons Adventure hat has a drape instead of a brim in back to avoid conflict between hat brim and the top of the pack.

redforest

redforest
PostSat Sep 17, 2016 8:36 pm 
I agree with Grannyhiker: in my opinion, side effects of all sunscreen lotions overweight their sun protection utility. This is why I only use moisturizers without sunblock.

RickNamer
BAM!

RickNamer
BAM!
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 12:49 am 
The only real way to protect yourself is by covering up. Not only against the sun but also insects and the possibility of skin irritations caused by contact with nature. Always wear a hat (obviously) and consider a mask if you are concerned about your face. I always wear pants - and I've found that the best tactical pants are ideal for hiking. They are usually very flexible, are made for the outdoors and typically have extra pockets which are great for storing gear.

Beginner Hiker, Mid-Level Geocacher, Expert Sushi Eater TopStretch - For before & after hiking.
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostMon Jan 23, 2017 5:00 pm 
An older thread that I happened to see. I am also allergic to the cream sunscreens. Think skin itching after putting it on and no way to wipe off. I found that it is the inactive ingredients that make up the cream portion that gets to me (also have a problem with the under arm stuff also for the same reason), not the active sunscreen part. I use a clear gel variety that has, as the major inactive part, SD Alcohol 40 (~50% w/w). It also dries quickly and my glasses do not slide down. Edit I presently use the Bullfrog brand. Can't stand the perfumes of the rest. Who wants to keep smelling the banana flavor for the whole day etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!