Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Stones Suck
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 3:05 pm 
I went out into the backyard at halftime, scooped up a few piles of dog poop, then played fetch with Daisy. Picking up dog poop is far superior entertainment to most Super Bowl halftime shows. I grew up during the "Up With People" years, so perhaps the re-animation of rock 'n roll corpses is an improvement of sorts.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 3:34 pm 
Ah. I thought Brian Jones had something to do with it, but I know he died in the late 60's and Ron Wood showed up as a Stone in the early 70's. I still can't get used to him being a Stone. He'll always be a Face to me.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Karen

Karen
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 5:02 pm 
I was never that impressed with the Stones, not even when I was a hippie. Then, I listened to the Butterfield Blues Band (whatever happened to them?), Jefferson Airplane, the Doors, Country Joe and the Fish, Steppenwolf, etc. Too many others to name. However, I DO take offense at the ageist remarks about the Stones. Hey, they can't help if they got old. And when you get old, you won't be able to do much about it either. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 5:30 pm 
Karen wrote:
And when you get old, you won't be able to do much about it either. Karen
I thought they did pretty darn good. 'Course I don't know what they normally sound like live. I watched the game with a bunch of 20 and 30-somethings, and they picked on the Stones, too. But then I noticed the 20 and 30-somethings I watched the game with had flab in places the Stones didn't, one was having trouble sitting cross-legged on the floor, and I was sitting on the sofa with a ficken pillow behind my back for support. I pointed this out to them, and they agreed that for a bunch of old guys, they still rock, and ain't no one of 'em in that basement could wield a drumstick for 2 minutes, let alone a whole concert.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 6:46 pm 
But they don't rock, they just stroll around siging their old hits and collecting money based on the fact that they were very big once upon a time. They may have been good once, but now....not so much. Not a remark on their age, more like on their ability and presence. down.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Karen

Karen
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 6:53 pm 
Since I haven't listened to the Stones for years, I can't comment on their performance. I was out for a walk. However, that being said, if their performance has slipped I cannot help but wonder what else these guys could do? Get jobs at Microsoft? What's an old rock musician to do? confused.gif Karen

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 6:59 pm 
Karen wrote:
However, that being said, if their performance has slipped I cannot help but wonder what else these guys could do? Get jobs at Microsoft? What's an old rock musician to do? confused.gif Karen
A band like the Stones would have made pleehnty of money during the active years of their careers. If they still needed more money they could, say, sell the rights to Start Me Up to Microsoft to use in commercials. Or they could do voice-over work. Or, they could, as a friend of mine has, leave the spotlight and get a perfectly normal job working at a Seattle PR firm. In the case of the Stones, I'm pretty sure they are not destitute.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Karen

Karen
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 8:09 pm 
Nah, I wasn't worried about the Stones. I'm sure they are pretty well off financially but that wasn't quite my point. My dad was a Dixieland jazz banjo player (among other things) and long after Dixieland jazz was left behind/forgotten by many HE was still listening to and playing Dixieland jazz. It was the music of his youth. The music the Stones played or synched during half-time (I am assuming they played Oldies but I didn't listen so I could be mistaken) is from THEIR youth. Karen

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 8:19 pm 
Sounds like the Stones aren't as washed up as some of you think they are; they still sell a helluva lot of tickets. Somehow I don't see of The Stones going to work for a PR firm, or a 7-11 store or any other place, for that matter. They didn't do the Super Bowl just for the money; they don't need it. They probably just want to have fun and keep rockin & rollin, you know, like the song says; Stones Just Want to Have Fun. Some people become pompous asses to stroke themselves, some people play rock & roll onstage. Either way, it's a way to get their rocks off (pardon the pun).

touron

touron
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 8:52 pm 
I didn't watch the halftime show, not because the Stones were in it, but more because it was the superbowl halftime show--I figured it would be pretty prefab no matter who was doing it. As far as the rock bands go that have been around awhile, they seem to be still drawing the fans 40 years later. So who does everyone pick that's hot today that will be playing in Superbowl 80?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 9:26 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I went out into the backyard at halftime, scooped up a few piles of dog poop, then played fetch with Daisy.
eek.gif You taught your dog to fetch poop? How many throws you get out of a large chunk? Does wet or dry work better? Inquiring minds.........

mgd

mgd
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 9:53 pm 
This article raises an interesting question, though. In the home of Motown, why put the Stones on center stage to start with?
Quote:
Their appearance at the Super Bowl was controversial from the beginning. Critics asked why a British rock group had been chosen to perform at the Ford Field stadium rather than a local band from Detroit, the home of Motown. In response, Aretha Franklin was quickly drafted in to sing the national anthem with Aaron Neville and Dr John, who gave a tribute to New Orleans.
Link

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostTue Feb 07, 2006 11:11 pm 
Several years ago there was a very good Superbowl halftime show that featured the Blues Brothers and ZZ Top. ZZ Top rode onto the field on harleys followed by a string of motorcycles that rode in circles around the field as they played. Of course, the obligatory dancing girls were present as well. I have been eagerly watching every year since for a repeat. Alas, I have been dissapointed time and time again as they have yet to improve on that show.

gary

gary
PostWed Feb 08, 2006 12:04 am 
I remember that ZZ Top show! It was great. The first outdoor concert I ever saw included ZZ Top. Halfway thru their performance, some guy hosted a burning American flag. The band stopped playing, they pointed to the guy in the field, and the bouncers proceeded to beat the guy to a pulp. I've been ever more fond of them since smile.gif . The show also had Brownsville Station(remember them?), a regional band named Metroplex, and Blue Oyster Cult. It was a great concert. Continuing with the propensity for the Superbowl to feature non-US bands, maybe the planners could pull off another Yes reunion. They had the best performance I ever saw. Except for old Grateful Dead concerts at Red Rocks Amphitheater, for different reasons. They put on great shows there. peace.gif I had a friend whose mom worked at the ticketmaster equivalent, and she would score us as many tickets as we could scrounge $'s for. Scalping those darn-near payed my way thru college...