Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "Japanese tourists"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 7:11 pm 
Got your attention? Did mine when I saw this reference made in a Nov. 29 Silver Lake trip report made on the WTA website by Angela & Jacqui/Hiker Babes. It's the second time the term has been used by the author in a trip report, I guess alluding to her photo-taking. I bring this up for discussion here because first I hope the author frequents this site and read this (no TrailTalk anymore at WTA) and secondly couldn't she have gotten the point across just as well without bringing up a rather old stereotype? How about just behaving like "tourists" instead? down.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wta reader 2

wta reader 2
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 7:40 pm 
I read the report also, but actually thought that maybe she was Japanese lol.gif lol.gif Maybe I'm too gullible.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 9:32 pm 
That could be true, I did wonder that at first, but why would you want to open yourself up to people judging you as an unimformed person with a comment like that? Maybe I'm putting too much into the comment- it would be interesting to get that person's take on it, though.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 1:33 am 
Well, upon reading the post, I immediately assumed that it was a sarcastic remark, as emphasized by the quote marks around Japanese. I don't wanna sound insensitive here, but it really bothers me that political correctness is becoming so much of an issue these days. There are obviously cases where saying certain things are inappropriate, but, the reality is, nobody can shelter themselves from EVERYTHING that offends them. Simply deal with it and move on, that's all there is to it. </rant> wink.gif

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 8:18 am 
Intollerance goes both ways. How about giving a poster the benefit of the doubt rather than smugly awaiting for someone to post something "un PC". I took that posting to mean that she may have been poking fun at her own heritage and hobby. Get off your soap box! [moon.gif]

Honey Badger Don't Care!
-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 8:49 am 

desensitized

desensitized
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 9:57 am 
get over it

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 5:44 pm 
I've dealt with it, I'm moving on, I thought a forum could be a soapbox, I'm over it-thaaaaat's all folks! angel.gif hurl.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 6:16 pm 
read the report, didn't strike me as any more offensive than I find Ingemar in Ikea ads. He is a lot like my great uncle. I'd have to vote with hypersensitivity on this one too. Stereotypes exist for everyone, IMO all that's important is we take them with a large grain of salt and don't allow them to define individuals for us.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 6:39 pm 
Thank God nobody calls me a *Honky White Boy* The real problem is that sometimes the shoe fits. NN biggrin.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 7:19 pm 
NN, isn't a Honky White Boy redundant? Maybe you needed some tanning oil. biggrin.gif I've only been called a Honky. It never bugged me that much. Evidently to the person who called me it it was a great insult and reduced me to an inferior spot on the sidewalk beneath their shoe. The power of words...and punctuation!! Kind of funny. When I was up in Jasper looking at the falls, a bus pulls up, people pour out, scream down the trail w/ cameras and were racing back up by the time I was halfway down. They were all from one country, but I won't say which biggrin.gif and don't jump to conclusions as you could be wrong!! Well, I live in America, so I should have more time to visit its attractions anyhow, right? The next day we were headed up to Johnson Falls, but our intrepid leader wanted to squeeze in as much as possible in one day so now it was our turn to race around everyone and snap photos. rolleyes.gif cool.gif I was kind of embarassed acting so touristy.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 7:26 pm 
I have to agree with the original poster. The author of the trip report emphasized the word "Japanese" by putting quotes around it. I don't care what the ethnic origin of the poster was, it's still inappropriate IMO. If you feel this is much ado about nothing, where would you draw the line then? Would it be OK to highlight the word "Arab"? How about "Indian" or "Jewish"? Better to be sensitized than ignorant.

PostMon Dec 02, 2002 8:53 pm 
I can absolutely agree with nearly everything posted on this thread. I see both sides and hate things that are truely a certain way, just to be PC. But I've made the same generalizations about that culture. And, given that it was the second time the person used the expression, it's pretty clear it wasn't an off hand remark or compliment. But, much like pbear, my little family of four was nearly run over at the touristy spots between Banff and Jasper by literally bus loads of Nikon wielding types. Same thing a Jellystone. But the dang Germans nearly ran us off the boardwalk there. They, the Germans, were completely rude. So how come it feels different to make that statement about them? Most of us clearly don't treat or think of all cultures as the same(equal).

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 9:39 pm 
Makes me wonder what citizens of other countries really think of us and what they really say. I've always felt that other cultures/races took white remarks far too seriously as compared to how whites take remarks about them. I'm not saying it's right, but think it shows when someone yells discrimination. Tom... What about if I was to say like an *Old Fart*? I'm 54 and sometimes feel and act like an old fart. So? Are all the old farts going to be offended? I've even been called that and it's not been a problem. If the poster was Japanese I would think that it's far more acceptable than if they weren't. It's funny how a black person can say the N word and it's ok. But if a honky say it..... Honky White Boy redundant? Yes. So is Yankee American. Take things with a grain of salt. IMO People need to be both tolerant and considerate. IMO NN-aka HWB biggrin.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 10:22 pm 
Wouldn't I have to be from New York to be a "Yankee" American? dizzy.gif While I'm "over it", I'll give my 2 cents..... I think it's kinda tacky and perhaps even outdated for people to use generalizations like that. It doesn't exactly promote warm fuzzies and I kind of feel a little bit startled when I hear them. Hey! I use Nikon! clown.gif