Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bandera Mt
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rob

Rob
PostSun Feb 12, 2006 4:58 pm 
One of my regular close-by calorie-burning destinations. Firm snow with a frozen surface allowed for a fast trip. Currently avalanche danger low, snowshoes not needed, crampons and ice axe would be useful near the summit.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Feb 12, 2006 5:08 pm 
Welcome to the site Rob. Thanks for the report and the nice pics. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
l

l
PostSun Feb 12, 2006 5:11 pm 
Welcome aboard, Rob. Looks like you had a fine day up there burning some fat cells. Though I suppose it really doesn't matter where one goes during these crystal winter interludes.

Rob

Rob
PostSun Feb 12, 2006 5:15 pm 
It was one of those great days that we actually do get every winter although some years, like this one, you have to be patient. Not too cold and no wind, hard to beat.

satyrium1975

satyrium1975
PostWed Feb 15, 2006 2:57 pm 
Bandera started it all
Hey there Rob, Three years ago I hiked Bandera, almost on accident, and it got me totally hooked on hiking in the northwest. I had no guidebook or supplies of any kind really and had no idea how long of a hike I was in for. I was in no shape for it but when I passed another woman who had to have been in her early sixties and who laughed at me when I asked her if I was almost there, I had to finish. At that point, I think I was likely only two miles in. It was a long one, but that last scramble made it all worthwhile. It was like climbing very steep Alaskan tundra, with a veritable garden of tiny flowers cropping up beside me as I literally crawled my way up the last part. I've moved on to other areas, the Mountain Loop Highway, the North Cascades, etc and had forgotten that there's actually quite a lot worth seeing right close to home. Thanks for the reminder! K