Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Go back where you came from
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
phillyjon

phillyjon
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 8:35 pm 
Just thought I'd save people the trouble. Where I come from; Pennsylvania, (Quark, if you care, was that the proper use of a hyphen and comma?), we pay for our schools out of property taxes. Now, it doesn't matter what kind of taxes it is, the schools there are in fine shape, with the teachers getting a good wage, as compared to MY NEW ADOPTED STATE. On a hiking thread, and I can't seem to locate it, there was a defense of Washington State using money from the sale of state resources to fund the schools. I think it is unfortunate that residents here have been conditioned for generations that schools are only worth investing in as long as you don't have to pay any money. We seem to get allot of brainy people from the outside to work in the high tech jobs, and then complain that they are a bad influence on the state's heritage, WHICH THEY ARE. Why don't we spread an education tax around to make brainy people of our own, instead of skinning the mountains. If you don't like that idea, just tax the smokers, they're paying for everything else, anyway.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Feb 15, 2006 9:55 am 
I'm not the punctuation Nazi, Marylou is. The latte tax was voted down a few years ago - it's unfair for any certain user group to pay for schools. Everyone pays property taxes, even renters (years ago, someone called in to an NPR show lambasting renters for not towing the line - she apparently doesn't realize that the landlord pays the taxes on the building, then in turn passes the cost of property taxes onto the renter ).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 15, 2006 2:04 pm 
It would be hard for me to go back..I am a WA state native wink.gif I pay taxes, but I also vote against taxes that I deem unfair. My son attends school, and yes, I have voted against bonds if I deem them frivilous! If it is for say a school building, or wages, or books, sure. But a new sports arena? Not likely. And heck, I am ALL for taxing smokers wink.gif They are great for it ...lol!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostWed Feb 15, 2006 11:58 pm 
What we really need an idiom Nazi to protect us from "towing the line." strange.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Feb 16, 2006 9:09 am 
Toonces wrote:
What we really need an idiom Nazi to protect us from "towing the line." strange.gif
Tow this: bart.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Feb 16, 2006 9:53 am 
At the end of the day, sometimes rather than thinking out of the box, you really need to tow the line. bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Justan

Justan
PostThu Feb 16, 2006 10:14 am 
According to the pie chart that came with my King County property tax, 51.5% of the property tax dollars go to pay for schools. In addition the DNR contributes to schools from the sale of lumber. But the DNR skins the tax payers and the schools as they charge little for the corporate welfare service they offer.

-Justan Elk
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostThu Feb 16, 2006 10:28 pm 
Justan wrote:
According to the pie chart that came with my King County property tax, 51.5% of the property tax dollars go to pay for schools. In addition the DNR contributes to schools from the sale of lumber. But the DNR skins the tax payers and the schools as they charge little for the corporate welfare service they offer.
Both you and PhillyJon might put your education to use and do some research on the DNR before you show your bart.gif bart.gif

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
phillyjon

phillyjon
PostFri Feb 17, 2006 9:33 am 
bart.gif

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 17, 2006 9:49 am 
bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif bart.gif I don't know why, but when someone tells me to not do something it brings out the bart.gif in me.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Justan

Justan
PostFri Feb 17, 2006 10:27 am 
Timber Cruiser wrote:
Justan wrote:
Both you and PhillyJon might put your education to use and do some research on the DNR before you show your bart.gif bart.gif
If you have a point to make, could you actually make it rather than modeling what must be your best side? Thanks...

-Justan Elk
WTCrocker

WTCrocker
PostFri Feb 17, 2006 12:34 pm 
I'm just an illeterate hick, but even I know the expression is "Toe the line"

This the year!!
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner