Forum Index > Trip Reports > Storm King Mtn (NOT!)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostThu Feb 23, 2006 3:01 pm 
After being overly saturated in the Cascades lately, it seemed fitting for a new venue. What could be more fitting that a visit to the Olympics in the Winter, during the Winter Olympics? Disembarking on the 7:50 ferry from Edmonds to Kingston during the "cold snap" Mesahchie Mark and myself saw great views of the Olympics, a calm Puget sound, and a different perspective of the Cascades behind us. Driving to lake Crescent was pleasant and powered with a bakers dozen of donuts washed down with Grande Mochas. Arriving at the Storm King Ranger Station we were greeted with very cold and windy conditions and we quickly put on all our layers and started walking. We soon passed the Largest recorded Grand Fir Tree ( in the World?) and shortly after turned left onto the Mount Storm King trail. Here the wind subsided and Sunshine burst though the trees. It was nice to be on a well maintained and graded trail enjoying warmth and seeing stuff other than snow during the winter. We made good time up the trail to the View point. Looking down to the lake, we thought we had already done with half of our ascent and a premature celebration started. Up to this point is about 2 miles with about 2000' gain and in itself is a great hike with views out to Lake Crescent. Here is a sign saying beyond this point is dangerous travel with a rope aiding progress up a loose exposed section of "trail".
MM on fixed line.
MM on fixed line.
After the wise sign, the way continued to deteriorate and after a second fixed line we came face to face with a Gully! and a omen of what was to come.
MM in Gully.
MM in Gully.
After surviving the gulley, the ridge went up and down, over countless bumps, all the time over loose rotten rock. Up, down, over and around, was this ever going to stop? The top of the 4500 foot Mountain finally came into view, and it was still an hour and a half away. It had taken more than four hours of non stop travel to this point. We had simply ran out of daylight with our Bodie Miller start time There was no way we were going to descend that sketchy ridge and gully in the dark with our headlamps. At 3000' we conceded defeat and high tailed it back to the safe trail, just in time for night fall.
Lake Crescent at Dusk.
Lake Crescent at Dusk.
Past the Gully, and the fixed lines, we donned our lights and headed down the path with our tails between our legs. All the time laughing about possible "Bonus peaks and water falls" we could do this day.
Wise sign.
Wise sign.

Ebrace life!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
l

l
PostThu Feb 23, 2006 3:16 pm 
Jeff, same thing happened to me on my first climb of Storm King. Wood warns about the difficulty relative to elevation. Don't be too bummed because the pano from the true summit isn't that much better than what you saw. The views of the lake, Barnes Valley and arty basalt are payment enough, IMHO. Nice evening pic.

Karen

Karen
PostThu Feb 23, 2006 3:20 pm 
Jeff R, I've tried Storm King a couple of times but never had the nerve to go past that gully, not even in the summer. I did make it to that sign warning of the hazards and as I recall that comes BEFORE the gully, right? It's a great hike and a good work-out just as you described. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostThu Feb 23, 2006 3:24 pm 
Thanks Jim. We did peruse the Woods Olympic book and the words "The ascent of Mount storm King is long and arduous for so low a peak." didn't hold much weight until we experienced it ourselfs.

Ebrace life!
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Feb 23, 2006 3:28 pm 
Nice report and pics guys up.gif I think I'll put that one on my list. Maybe either or both of you would be up for a 'reload' sometime wink.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostThu Feb 23, 2006 3:29 pm 
Karen wrote:
Jeff R, I've tried Storm King a couple of times but never had the nerve to go past that gully, not even in the summer. I did make it to that sign warning of the hazards and as I recall that comes BEFORE the gully, right? It's a great hike and a good work-out just as you described. Karen
Thanks Karen. The gully is after the sign. On the descent we tried another gully,and were turned back to the original one.

Ebrace life!
l

l
PostThu Feb 23, 2006 6:15 pm 
If you're ever in the area again and want a good view of Lake Crescent without working so hard, try the Mt. Muller Trail. But don't do it from 101. There's a back door route accessed from 112 and Road 3040. Minimal climbing brings the lake in sight along with the interior Olympics and Soleduck Valley. Haven't done it in a while so can't give road conditions on the logging road. The FS encourages you to start from the 101 trailhead, a real grinder.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Feb 23, 2006 9:17 pm 
REPELLED !, now that seems unlikely for you guys, the daylight is growing though so I imagine you'll slip by there again. up.gif winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostThu Feb 23, 2006 10:55 pm 
Here's a couple more pics:
My new wallpaper...
My new wallpaper...
Jeff makes it look easy...
Jeff makes it look easy...
Still a ways to go...
Still a ways to go...
Apart from not bagging the summit, it was a great day and great fun. I still haven't seen Marymere Falls in daylight! But yeah, I'll be back sometime...the Olympics are very cool.

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark