Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sundial 7200' (Olys) 6-14-2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Jun 15, 2022 7:13 pm 
Another week another peak! This go round had Bryan and I looking to make our way back up to Sundial in the royal basin area. Sundial had always stuck out since viewing it from the blue tarn in royal basin, it looks so olympic from there! rocker.gif We had attempted it a few years back and were stoked to give it another bid! What seems to be the case as always this season, the weather looked best during midweek. shakehead.gif A good reason to burn another vacation day! smile.gif We made it out to the dungeness river TH at 230am and were on the trail 15mins later. It was nice to not be carrying snowshoes for a change. hink.gif The hike to royal lake took about 3hrs and the snow was consistent from there on. We took the usual break at the lake. It was 545am and it was a chilly morning, probably 30f. There was a nice dusting of snow on the surrounding peaks making it feel much more like an autumn morning. At the lake we had our first views of Sundial and it looked pretty spicy! breakdance.gif There is definitely still a bit of white covering a lot the slopes up there and I hate steep snow! So we drank some whiskey before setting out. cheers.gif
partially frozen royal lk with Sundial above right
partially frozen royal lk with Sundial above right
After our morning break, at 630am, we dropped down to shelter rock camp. From here there is a waterfall due west that comes down from Sundial's south flank, we crossed the creek and made our way towards the falls. We couldn't see it but we could hear it. Once by the falls a climber's path was located and we followed that up to a basin of sorts right below our peak. The views were starting to become amazing up here! banana.gif We could see Deception looming large to the south too! Best of all the choss gully we needed to ascend was nice and filled in with snow! There was also a nice view of the upper reaches which looked rather doable! So we headed on up. rocker.gif We entered the gully proper at 5800' and the snow was nice and firm. Quick progress was made up to 6300' at which point we could see the true summit to the west. From here we angled climber's left going up steep snow slopes mixed with rocky ledges. Generally we just aimed for the summit. The views were amazing to say the least and stoke was high with the peak in striking distance! rocker.gif At 6800' the snow steepened even more and was a little softer. Perfect for kicking steps but still warranted caution. Soon we were 50ft under the summit block, we dropped crampons and assessed the last bit. drink.gif
Sundial from shelter rock
Sundial from shelter rock
the waterfall
the waterfall
Above the falls
Above the falls
Deception makes it's appearance
Deception makes it's appearance
The peak
The peak
The jumbled summit
The jumbled summit
Coming up
Coming up
Gully proper, 5800'
Gully proper, 5800'
Bryan enters
Bryan enters
Upper part of gully
Upper part of gully
Summit at center in back
Summit at center in back
Decent views. Mystery back there.
Decent views. Mystery back there.
Yewww
Yewww
Bluebird day
Bluebird day
Working the slope
Working the slope
Steepens up through here
Steepens up through here
Finally getting off the steep snow, close to the top
Finally getting off the steep snow, close to the top
Stoked
Stoked
Deception framed
Deception framed
Almost there
Almost there
We were on the south side of said peak and were able to locate a dirty chimney to shimmy up. Up we went then on to the summit which is kinda airy to get up.(class3-4) We reached the top at 10am to some grandiose scenery!! banana.gif Wow...what a perspective of Johnson and Clark! Deception to Mystery was a sight to behold as well! eek.gif Sundial is a pretty badass peak...a little spicier than I thought it would be lol! The summit area is kinda exposed too but we still relaxed for 20mins or so up there! breakdance.gif Soon it came to my attention that a sub- summit, 200ft to the north of us, appeared to be of the same height maybe higher!? huh.gif So the peakbagger mentality inside forced us to go take a look. Well as luck would have it we could not find an easy way up it. The easiest route we could find up would definitely require protection. moon.gif This peak is a "mountaineer Olympia scramble peak" so I would assume the one we scrambled up was indeed the true summit. hockeygrin.gif If anyone has climbed Sundial it would be nice to receive some feedback, I'm 90% we hit the true one. Anyhow we decided to hang out in the saddle between the two summits...it was the perfect place to take in the views and enjoy some napping. cheers.gif
Summit block
Summit block
Johnson and Clark
Johnson and Clark
Clark looks dangerous
Clark looks dangerous
Bryan in the chimney
Bryan in the chimney
Mystery, Deception, Martin
Mystery, Deception, Martin
Clark and Adelaide, with that sub-summit right in front
Clark and Adelaide, with that sub-summit right in front
B-Dawg arrives, royal basin down below
Aye ladddd
Aye ladddd
preparing to climb back down
preparing to climb back down
Working over towards the sub-summit
Working over towards the sub-summit
The summit we climbed with Mystery to the right
The summit we climbed with Mystery to the right
couldn't take my eyes off of these two
couldn't take my eyes off of these two
Extreme Alpine Napping!! :ninja:
Extreme Alpine Napping!! ninja.gif
royal lake down there
royal lake down there
Oh how the time flew by! Before we knew it the time was 1230pm. We were both not looking forward to the steep snow lol. The top 400ft had to be down climbed facing in. Good times. dizzy.gif Steps were still bomber! After that the grade eased up just enough to start plunge stepping our way down and that was fun. Before long we were in the basin at the bottom enjoying our surroundings. God I love the royal basin area, it's always a pleasure finding a reason to get back out there! borank.gif A few more whiskey breaks were had on the slog out and we eventually made it back to the car at 630pm. It was another great day to be alive and awesome to finally bag this one! Thanks B-Dawg for joining again and cheers to all!! rocker.gif 18miles-ish, 4800ft gain, 16hrs
ready for the steeps
ready for the steeps
Down the steep shit
Down the steep sh##
Nice seat
Nice seat
Down the hill
Down the hill
Kinda tricky in some spots
Kinda tricky in some spots
Finally the easy part!
Finally the easy part!
Down, down, down
Down, down, down
Back to safer lands
Back to safer lands
Awesome place
Awesome place
Cheers
Cheers
Top of waterfall
Top of waterfall
Bryan with a partial shot of the falls
Bryan with a partial shot of the falls
The lake again
The lake again
Parting view
Parting view

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

RAW-dad, reststep, IanB, rubywrangler, raising3hikers, Route Loser, jaysway, Theboywhocriedroute, RichP, mosey, Lightning_bug, Tom, Bramble_Scramble  silence  meck  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 10:56 am 
Nice! I was up there for Clark in suboptimal conditions in may, looks like it's almost time, thanks for the pics!

ozzy
geyer

geyer
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 12:02 pm 
Hell of an adventure Ozzy! That view of royal basin alone would be worth it for me
ozzy wrote:

ozzy
yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 2:04 pm 
Super set of pics! Quite the trip. A+

ozzy
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 11:33 pm 
Great photos! Great report! up.gif up.gif

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning

ozzy
bivouacjack

bivouacjack
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 1:30 pm 
As always, a fun read and a big inspiration!

ozzy
silence

silence
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 2:38 pm 
Great climb and spectacular scenery ... your trail report and photos are riveting! Love that area and makes me want to get back. up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan

ozzy