Forum Index > Trip Reports > Repulse Pk 6/11/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jun 12, 2022 4:30 pm 
Repulse Pk 7923' Josh H and I met up at the Swamp Cr pullout Saturday morning for a trip to Repulse Pk. It's one of those Peaks that is seen from the road but rarely climbed. It was snow travel from the very start. We first had to descend towards Granite creek to find a log to get across the raging creek. We found a couple just upstream from Repulse Cr, which worked out so that we wouldn't have to cross 2. The logs weren't ideal but they worked, I don't sit and scoot very often, but it was necessary to be stable. We had to scoot down a sloped one first to reach the other, switching logs over water.
Josh scooting across
Josh scooting across
Josh got some last minute information from Tom S, and we listened by staying close to Repulse Cr. Otherwise, it would seem natural to gain elevation too quickly and have to backtrack. So, that was helpful as we gradually headed up to the basin below Repulse. As we entered the basin, the summit was in the clouds but we could see a way to bypass the waterfalls by going far left, then traversing right to get to easier ground. Once above the waterfalls, nice bucket kicking steps up and then right towards the col at 7320'.
clouds cleared for a minute to get a view of Repulse
clouds cleared for a minute to get a view of Repulse
At the col, the views down the valley on the other side were mostly cloudy but we were still able to name a few pks. After dropping 50' or so to get to easier terrain, we hopped onto a big snow slope and went up. I had read the other Repulse TR's, as good as they were, it didn't help with navigation. This peak looks very confusing! Anyways, it was our adventure and we just went with whatever looked good enough as we snaked our way up the mountain. In other TR's, it mentioned a lonely tree on some rock, there are many scattered on those steep slopes but somehow we found the one that is talked about since a sling was around its base. Lots of class 3/4 to get there and it eased up once we hit the summit ridge. A short stroll later, we were at the top ready for a break. We found the original register from 1971, it looks as if we were the 13th party to sign in if I counted correctly.
Arriva and Fisher Pks
Arriva and Fisher Pks
Goode to Indecision
Goode to Indecision
The short view over to Black peak could have been better, the amount of snow slides going down the glacier was impressive. It seemed at least once a minute, snow was sliding down in many different spots on the Shelokum. We did our best to retrace are route, we decided not to rappel at the tree since the holds were good there. I did pack a rope in case things got wet and had to use it to be safer. Back at the col, nice plunge stepping increased our pace down and soon we were in the lower basin. We looked back a couple times to see a little blue sky around the pks.
Black Pk
Black Pk
Repulse and Fisher
Repulse and Fisher
The hike back went well as we kept crampons on the entire way back to the road. We were happy and felt lucky to get a good enough weather window for getting this peak and staying dry. 7.5 miles 4300' elevation gain

Eric Eames

rstoddard24, Bluebird, Off Route Randy, freddyfredpants, RichP, pwrobinson, ~*CutebutChossy69*~, geyer, silence, Now I Fly, fourteen410, Randito  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSun Jun 12, 2022 6:18 pm 
You scored!! I really wish I could have been there.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostSun Jun 12, 2022 7:54 pm 
Very nice!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jun 12, 2022 8:17 pm 
Repulse is seen by everyone from SR-20 but with only 13 entries in 51 years it remains a lonely peak. Tom S. and I climbed it in October so crossing Granite Creek was much easier (we boulder hopped) and little snow remained on the approach. I called the Firey family afterwards as they were the first ascent party. I was curious about the name of the peak. The youngest member of the ascent party proposed Repulse to honor a British warship sunk early in WWII, some three days after the Pearl Harbor attack. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_Prince_of_Wales_and_Repulse

rstoddard24, Now I Fly
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 8:00 am 
Lotsa snow!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 4:05 pm 
that was the one i hoped to do with you. i guess you'll have to repeat smile.gif

~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess

~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 9:39 pm 
Nice! You goin for all 69?

Choss is a girl's best friend
Off Route Randy

Off Route Randy
PostWed Jun 15, 2022 2:09 pm 
Nice peak! Especially in those conditions. Such a cool summit register. Wouldn't prefer anybody else to sign in below us other than you. Cheers!

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Jun 15, 2022 8:03 pm 
Hell yeah doods!! Nice job on that one! rocker.gif I'm glad to have had absolutely no snow on that summit block when we were up there...would have made things a little more interesting lol! Repulse has gotta be in my top 5 for some ungodly reason, love that peak! rotf.gif Cheers for making it look so damn easy as usual! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

Off Route Randy
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Jun 15, 2022 11:19 pm 
Well done as always!