Forum Index > Trip Reports > Nordic Pass Trail - 02/26/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 10:29 pm 
This is a long report, even by my standards. It is however, a close in snowshoe or ski trip that few know about. It has almost no avalanche danger unless you get off route. The grade is moderate and is great for families or snowshoe beginners. Best of all it's not a road. Those seeking more challenge can continue scrambling up Mt. Catherine from Nordic Pass. There just aren't many good snowshoe or cross country ski trails near Seattle which have little avalanche danger. There is one little known jewel that provides moderately gentle terrain, deep forest, lakes, and a pass on the crest of the Cascade Mountains. My friend Gary had a hand in building this trail. It has been around for more than 15 years and I never tried it until this weekend. Gary had a work party scheduled to replace blue diamond markers all along the route. We had a busy day filling in gaps where diamonds are missing or covered by tree growth. I made it much of the way up and Gary and others made it all the way up to Nordic and down to Windy Pass. I will describe the section I snowshoed and leave the latter part to Gary. First a little history is in order. Not all that many years ago much of the area around Hyak (Summit East) was open for backcountry skiing. The earlier ski area concentrated on downhill and skinny skiers had forest and roads to explore. Now there is a large groomed cross country area and crossover trails between the ski areas. Gary and friends convinced the Forest Service that backcountry skiers still should be able to use the area south of Snoqualmie Pass. Thus the Nordic Pass Trail was conceived and built to serve backcountry skiers. Today there are numerous groomed cross country areas along I-90 but not much undeveloped forest. Especially not much with little avalanche danger. The Nordic Pass Trail is ideal for skiers who would like to venture off groomed roads and try untracked skiing. It's also great for those with the skill to ski rapidly down through the trees. That would not be me. Today there are many snowshoers and it is a great trail for all levels of skill and fitness. There are blue diamonds from the start all the way to Nordic Pass and down to Windy Pass. If you can't see one ahead stop and scout around. It is possible to make it all the way up just following the diamonds. When the trees are snow plastered some diamonds are hidden by white but keep looking and you can find your way. The trail begins off a street of cabins just above Hyak. Take Exit 54 (Hyak) off I-90 and turn left. Parking is at the Gold Creek Sno-Park. Permits are required. Walk under the highway and into the Summit East (Hyak) lot. A short way in is a stop sign. Turn to the right here and walk up the road. Quickly the road splits. Take another right. A little farther the main road heads uphill to the left. Go left. The road then makes a sharp turn to the left. The trail begins at this switchback. This weekend the snow was 8 feet high and we had to dig a break in the wall to climb up. It only took a few minutes. The property owner at the top of the switchback does not want people on his property so climb up in the middle of the road corner. Once on top of the wall we quickly reached the creek. With all the snow this year it required dropping about 6 feet to a snow covered logjam then climbing back up. On the other side is a big tree with a "Nordic Pass Trail" sign. You should not have to go far to see the next diamond. The trail heads away from the road gaining elevation very gently. The sharpest turns have large blue diamonds with a turn arrow. Two horizontal diamonds also represent a turn. The route heads northwest and intersects the old cross pass railroad grade. Look for a diamond on the left which shows where to exit the grade. The route switches back and forth rather than going straight up the fall line. Very easy on snowshoes and sometimes requiring climbing skins for skiers. The route generally follows close by Hyak Creek. A number times it almost reaches the creek and switchbacks away one again. There are several groomed cross country road/trails to cross. In each case you come out of the forest and head right back into it again. Look carefully to find a diamond on the other side. They are not always directly across but in no case do you proceed up or down the groomed roads any distance. The most difficult crossing is at the biggest crossover trail linking Summit Central and Summit East. There are wooden power poles along this trail which looks like a road. The route crosses and angles off to the right before entering the forest again. Be sure to look well off to the right uphill to see the next diamond. Once across this trail near 3400' more switchbacks lead up to a meadow. Continue to your right along the meadow and soon reach Hyak Lake. The trail leaves the initial road switchback at about 2760' and the lake is at 3525'. I was surprised to see a group of snowshoers on the other side of the snow covered lake. The terrain now becomes very gentle. We soon intersected the upper groomed cross country ski area. The trail crosses the groomed route with diamonds visible on both sides. About the trickiest section to follow is near the metal-tower power line corridor. You can't miss the lines or likely miss the buzzing. In this corridor all the trees were cut down. Smaller trees have grown up but they are thick with downward sloping branches. There is no place to place diamonds on the trunks. Through here we hung diamonds from branches with wire. Keep an eye out for them. It was clear enough here to see Mt. Catherine with Nordic Pass on its lower northwest ridge and Silver Peak behind the pass. After a long morning and early afternoon of work Suzanne and I had to head back at this point. Now I'll let Gary describe the route from here. After crossing underneath the power lines the trail crosses a groomed trail and heads back for a short distance through smaller trees until it reaches a fork in the groomed trail network. It was at this point that Jim and Suzanne headed back. It was 1:15 pm and I badly wanted to reach Windy Pass to put up the last Nordic Pass Trail sign. So at this point Ron, Andrejs and I stopped replacing diamonds and took off for the pass. Two of the groomed forks head down. Go down along the right fork and look for diamonds on the trees to the left. Make a left turn towards the diamonds and continue past a large tree with a diamond. Shortly after this tree the trail turns right and switchbacks up the hill. The trail gets close to a groomed trail and then turns left where you will see a tree with a Nordic Pass Trail sign. At this tree turn right and follow the trail through a blowdown area. Past the blowdown area the trail heads west along a steep hillside. Outside of one notable dip, the trail generally heads up and climbing skins are helpful here. At about 3700 ft the trail heads south and the grade decreases. Shortly before a pleasant meadow area with widely spaced trees we lost the diamonds. Either a few diamonds were missing or they were covered with snow. The trail heads through the middle of this area and crosses Dick’s Creek on a snow bridge. We picked up the diamonds at Dick’s Creek and had a short snack break. From Dick’s Creek we followed the trail south until we were just short of the slopes of Mt. Catherine and reached 3900 ft elevation. At this point the trail turned west and reached Nordic Pass at just over 4000 ft elevation. The Nordic Pass sign is on a small tree to the north of the low point of the pass. At this point I should explain that there are three passes with small bumps in-between. The Nordic Pass Trail goes through the southern-most pass. This pass has pleasant slopes to the west with widely spaced trees and plenty of sun on sunny days. There are views through the trees towards Silver and Tinkham. The middle pass is the lowest pass and thus the real pass. It is cold and dark with no views. An old abandoned ski trail heads from this pass down towards Olallie Meadow. At Nordic Pass, Ron who had skied the day before decided to take a much deserved break while Andrejs and I headed to Windy Pass to put up the Nordic Pass Trail sign. From Nordic Pass the trail dropped down to the snow gauge and then headed up a short slope before the steep descent to Windy Pass. The blue diamonds head straight down the slope. It is up to the skier to pick out his own switchbacks. Under icy conditions typically half or more of a skiing party will remove their skis and walk. But today we had nice soft snow so we skied down the hill. Andrejs expertly descended the slope staying close to the fall line. I had left my skins on since we were about to turn around and head back up to Nordic Pass. I still managed to fall a couple times as I descended the hill. Near Windy Pass the trail enters an old clearcut. On the last big tree before the clearcut I put up the Nordic Pass Trail sign. This tree is visible from the Windy Pass area and you should be able to see the sign if you look for it. After installing the sign we returned to Nordic Pass where Ron was patiently waiting and freezing. It was 3:15 and time to head out. We had a fun and quick run down the gentler grades of the upper half of the trail. On the lower half we got in several telemark turns and in my case telemark falls. By the time we walked back to the Gold Creek Sno-Park lot it was almost 5:30. A couple final warnings: The blue diamond trail markers can be totally hidden by snow plastered on the trees. As the trees grow larger the diamonds eventually pop off and a few of the trees with diamonds have fallen over. So if you totally lose the trail and cannot find any more blue diamonds it is probably best to turn around. Although in my non-expert opinion there is no avalanche danger along the Nordic Pass Trail, if you wander off the trail towards Mt. Catherine or Nordic Knob (aka Radio Mt.) you can find avalanche slopes. For more information on the Nordic Pass Trail, to get a topo map with GPS waypoints (about 1 MB) or to volunteer for future work parties send an email to: nordicpasstrail@yahoo.com. All 25 photos are now posted at: Nordic Pass Trail Photos Here are a few:
Trail Starts On Top Of The Snow Wall
Trail Starts On Top Of The Snow Wall
Creek Crossing
Creek Crossing
Along The Trail
Along The Trail
Putting Up Diamonds
Putting Up Diamonds
On The Old Railroad Grade
On The Old Railroad Grade
Mt. Catherine
Mt. Catherine

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostWed Mar 01, 2006 11:58 am 
All 25 photos are now posted at: Nordic Pass Trail Photos

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Mar 01, 2006 12:06 pm 
Thanks for posting this information up.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Mar 04, 2006 10:21 pm 
Thanks for the information, and the diamond placing! up.gif On a last minute trip I headed up there today to check it out. Very nice trail! Only two older partly filled in ski tracks on my way up, but by the time I got back there were several more. Partway in I hit a snowshoe trail marked with AtlasSnowshoe badges. Does anyone know where this one starts? I followed it up to the ski patrol hut above Hyak Lake. Suited me well since I dont have skis. From the Windy Pass sign I followed the ridge up to just below the summit of Catherine. Nice viewpoint up high on the ridge. The real summit was really exposed so I called this good. Going back down there were alot more ski tracks and my snowshoe tracks were now a ski highway. Glad it was fairly flat - breaking trail going in and then a new track going out is way tiring!

JimK

JimK
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 9:57 pm 
Opus, Thanks for the trail breaking up on the ridge. We headed back this weekend to see the rest of the trail. Nice trip up to Nordic Pass then we followed the Opus track up the ridge of Mt. Catherine. No problems up to the point right below the summit. I took off my snowshoes and pulled out my ice axe to give it a try. The snow was crusty and when I stepped down I sank to my knees. It was crummy snow as my axe sank all the way and would not hold. With those conditions we decided to leave the summit for another day. I wish we had the clear sky you enjoyed. I'll post some photos later with my Mt. Catherine report but to see good ones go to: Opus On Mt. Catherine Photos. I'm sure you'll recognize where I turned around:
The End Of The Line
The End Of The Line

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 10:42 am 
Yep, that's where I stopped. The snow was really soft and sticky on saturday from the sun. I kept getting monster snowballs on the cleats of my snowshoes every 10 steps or so, made climbing some of those hills really nasty. I've heard you can spray vegetable oil onto them to reduce it, maybe I'll try that next time. Early sunday morning the weather looked so nasty we cancelled our trip and spent the rest of the day kicking ourselves for it when the rains never showed. bawl.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Mar 12, 2006 9:02 pm 
On return to the northwest we chose to do this one. A beautiful blonde took me out. I saw the report while in Denver and conditions looked a lot better than when we had gone earlier in the year. We chose a different route from the Hyak snow park which requires a "grooming" sticker for an extra $20. We headed down the Iron Horse toward Easton around 10AM. There were fewer people in the morning and the trail was flat with fresh grooming cold in the teens. You head down the trail to the first creek a mile or so where blue diamonds can be seen to the right. You ascend a hindered feet or so to the road coming from Summit East (Hyak) and enter the "common corridor". We followed this to windy pass going past the Yurt and a couple switchbacks. We enjoyed a couple Alaskan Alts at Windy Pass in the sun and amazingly no wind. We comtemplated Silver Peak but felt too lazy to try. We skied down to the warming hut and put on skins. Following yesterdays tracks we ascended to the pass seeing few diamonds. We went to the higher southern pass and saw multiple tracks. Here we took off the skins. Sking down was sweet with about 6" new on a hard base, ego snow. We soon intersected the diamonds and had a quick run down. Eventually this hits the run "Froglegs" which has a number of quick drops around Frog Lake. There is shot climb to "Nova" run. This in turn runs into "Hidden Valley". There were great views of Gold Creek peaks and sun. A few short climbs and it was time to go down. This rn is a fast snowplow descent on icy snow. After completing the hard part I was shussing the old road. Someone was taking up the whole road and my skies got caught in the groomed track and I fell with a call of, Oh Sh*t. It knocked the wind out of me and the person calmly skied off without asking my condition. The blond caught up with me and we quickly skied down to the "common corridor". It was a quick ski back to the Iron Horse. This route was now quite crowded but still nice. All in all a great trip, wonderful to be home, life is good smile.gif smile.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Mar 12, 2006 11:09 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Sking down was sweet with about 6" new on a hard base, ego snow. We soon intersected the diamonds and had a quick run down. Eventually this hits the run "Froglegs" which has a number of quick drops around Frog Lake. There is shot climb to "Nova" run. This in turn runs into "Hidden Valley". There were great views of Gold Creek peaks and sun. A few short climbs and it was time to go down. This rn is a fast snowplow descent on icy snow. After completing the hard part I was shussing the old road. Someone was taking up the whole road and my skies got caught in the groomed track and I fell with a call of, Oh Sh*t. It knocked the wind out of me and the person calmly skied off without asking my condition.
Most folks I've seen go up Hidden Valley, not down smile.gif We always go down, but I freely admit I have walked down some of it more than skiied down! Kind of funny you made it down the tough part, then took a dumpty-doo farther down clown.gif But what a beautiful day. We skiied Central to Hyak today, (alpine) until the hordes convinced us to bail around noon. Thank goodness for that shuttle bus, without it I bet it would have take us an hour to ski back, just because of the lift lines.

TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 8:37 pm 
I made it out there today and had lunch out by Frog lake. No new snow and tracks everywhere....the trail was well marked though thanks to the recent work. Thanks for sharing the wealth JimK up.gif

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
JimK

JimK
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 9:17 pm 
Glad you had a good time. Thank my friends Gary and Mark. They are the ones who built and maintain the trail. It sits in a precarious position between the ski areas. The Forest Service okayed it long ago. If it becomes well known and develops a following it is more likely to survive future debates. As a low avalanche danger, easy graded route it has much to offer backcountry skiers and snowshoers.