Forum Index > Trip Reports > Annette Lake Snowshoe 3/4/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 12:07 am 
I got a late start on Saturday, with the idea to scout out a new TNAB destination. TNAB (Thursday Night AfterBurners, www.tnab.net), could use a few new destinations, and Abiel Peak, via Annette Lake, seemed a likely candidate. When I say late, I mean LATE. It was 10 minutes to 2:00 PM when I finally got started. I had to park a ways down from the trailhead parking lot, because snow cover forced the half dozen vehicles to huddle close together near the restrooms. There was barely enough room to back out and turn around. I set out and did my best to cover as much territory as I could. For two thirds of the way, the trail was well traveled and hard to miss. Abruptly, though, the trail began to head straight up at the switchbacks. Obviously, a postholer was searching for a safe, narrow passage across several potential avy chutes. I followed this trail for a while, then began to posthole myself, which was my clue to put on my 'shoes and make my own tracks. My altimeter had me 150 ft above the lake. I made a gentle descent to Annette Lake, arriving at nearly 4:00 PM. As you can probably guess, the lake is frozen over. I was in a black-and-white world, with traces of color creeping in around the Silver-Abiel-Humpback bowl. Abiel looked great - a series of frosted cliffs due south.
Abiel Peak
Abiel Peak
I followed a set of tracks to the SW, contouring the lake counterclockwise. I traced the tracks into woods above the lake, toward the lowpoint between Abiel and Pt 4876. I rose nearly 500 ft above Annette, into a sheltered bowl where the snow was soft and uncrusted. I spied a possible passage to Abiel's west ridge, made mental notes, and took a bunch of pics. There were several tracks upon Silver's upper reaches, including one faint line emerging from a finger of forest, cutting diagonally to the summit.
Abiel Side View
Abiel Side View
Silver Peak
Silver Peak
By now, it was 4:30 PM and time to retreat. The view northward was noteworthy - Granite Mountain looked like an unblemished ski resort. I made it back the northend of Lake Annette, then fatefully decided NOT to follow my footprints out, but contour back until I intersected the trail again. I don't recommend this - there were at least two gulleys along the way that made me think once, twice, and a third time about my choice.
Granite Mtn
Granite Mtn
Happily, I did regain the trail, midway through the switches. I took me an hour from there to make it out, reaching my car by 7:00 PM. By then, a silvery crescent moon shown high above. It was solely gratifying to be out on such a great day!

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 1:11 pm 
Nice shot of Granite Mountain. up.gif up.gif

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 8:42 pm 
I have always had a suspicion that you were a lake bagger! It's takes a lot of courage to come out of the closet.

Ebrace life!
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 11:32 pm 
Jeff R wrote:
I have always had a suspicion that you were a lake bagger! It's takes a lot of courage to come out of the closet.
Hmmmm....can't seem to find the "middle-finger" emoticon....

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Mar 12, 2006 8:31 pm 
lake baggers
Hey, lake baggers have rights! winksmile.gif This is who we are. It's not a choice. Lake baggeraphobes are bigots! biggrin.gif

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 11:22 am 
I suppose you think snowboarders have rights, too, JB? winksmile.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 8:54 pm 
snowboarders have rights?!
Snowboarders have rights?! wink.gif Oh, C'mon now, don't push it! smile.gif

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin