Forum Index > Food & Grub > Exertion and appetite
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 6:06 pm 
A disturbing trend I have noticed in the past year or so is that the harder I exert myself on climbs, the less of an appetite I seem to have. This seems especially true on climbs where my stress level is high. In these cases, the smell of food nearly makes me nauseous. It hasn't gotten to the point of 'bonking' during a climb, but I notice my recovery time afterwards is significantly longer than it would be if I were taking in enough calories 'out there'. I've tried bringing 'real food' such as fresh stuff, sandwiches and the like, but usually the only thing I can consistently choke down is dried mango. I don't think I am the only one who suffers this phenomenon; I think it's fairly common. How do ya'll keep your appetite going? What do ya'll eat out there that works? Any suggestions?

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 6:25 pm 
keep up your electrolytes if your apetite fails - you might want to use supplements or energy drinks from SUCCEED! (by mailorder - people who run ultramarathon distances swear by these). SUCCEED ultra particularly could help - it's not sweet, has no fructose, and is terrific sustenance when apetites go south. Have you tried candied ginger for your nausea and lack of apetite? You can get bulk candied ginger, or just plain ginger at most large grocery stores, including trader joes and whole foods.

wbs

wbs
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 6:27 pm 
If your refering to on the move trail food vs boil / rehydrate in camp grub... Those newer fangled Powerbars called Triple Threat in Caramel Peanut Fussion or Chocolate Carmel Fussion seem to be the latest kick for me. Similar taste of a Snickers but pack a bit more punch. They sure have come a long way from the 'ol school break your teeth on that non-pliable blah of the original Powerbar. I'd second the dried mangos too up.gif Kept me strut'in down the PCT. When I get tired of the sweat stuff, beef jerky fills the void.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 6:46 pm 
Seawall is right. I get nauseous when I am exerting myself too. Gatorade is good for that in my case--it's one of the times the extra sugar can come in handy. You also might try Gu, or if you hate the taste, there is something Gu-like called Honey Stinger out there that is a shot of honey with some other stuff in it to make it more than pure sugar. For me at least, sometimes once I get over the nausea I can choke down a bit more of the old solid stuff.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 6:50 pm 
This usually happens to me when I don't eat enough along the way. I don't think the answer is about finding food that appeals to you as much as it's about making sure you eat frequently enough.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 6:55 pm 
Dicey, I could never compare your trips to mine, as you are quite the mountaineer up.gif However, I will say that both of us are not feed hogs until we set camp. If it is a day hike, we hardly eat until we return home. On a day hike, like Si for example (8m 3200' gain) we usually only carry a single candy bar. He usually gets all of it, if it is cold I take a small bite. We do always start out with a home cooked egg/bacon/toast/grapefruit breakfast tho smile.gif And there are strict rules for eating the candy bar... if we don't make the destination, he can't eat it lol.gif For overnighters, I take a single tasty home-made sandwich which we split during the day. Only a half sandwich each is all we need. For dinner we pig out, but that is a different story smile.gif I think the key is to pack stuff you like.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 7:02 pm 
Hey Dicey...for me, managing my potassium levels was a huge thing...but that is one thing I wouldn't recomend doing without a Dr guiding you. I used to not be able to eat in the afternoon, and many times it was because of sweating too much, not drinking enough and yep, my potassium levels were in the garage. I got a massive lecture last month from my Dr to drink low sodium versions of Gatoraid (blech...) and eat stuff like potatoes, oranges, bananas, and green veggies when out. I eat a lot of fresh produce now when I hike. It seems to help. That and staying hydrated wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Karen

Karen
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 7:05 pm 
Dicey, I'm almost never hungry until the trip (the elevation gain) is over with. GU works for me because I will run out of energy if I don't eat something. A handful of salted peanuts sometimes seems to help out a bit too. I HAVE bonked and I hated it -- so about every hour or so on a strenuous trip I consume a packet of GU. In general I hate to stop for anything, though -- another advantage of GU. But exertion may be different than stress, too. When I get to a summit or the end of a hard hike, at least in summer I enjoy eating real food but not en route except for GU. But if I am STRESSED or scared, I can't swallow at all, the inside of my mouth feels like Velcro and the thought of eating or drinking anything at all is disgusting. Fortunately, I've only been THAT stressed/scared once, where I felt like my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth. Yuck. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 7:36 pm 
Ok all you uber healthy, juice tiger usin', granola eating people, somebody needs to play devils advocate here, and once again I feel qualified to chime in . clown.gif Dicey, I also do not exert myself when hiking to the degree you do , but I do get the same "pukey no wanna eatie" stomach. 100 milligrams local herbs smoked in my pipe will make anything I brought seem appetizing, same reason it's prescribed for chemo patients, but thats not for everyone paranoid.gif . Raw veggies are nasty eek.gif , my god, it takes my stomach a few hours to break those down, what good is food that kicks in when I get back to the car confused.gif doh.gif You want stuff that fuels you quickly agree.gif , digests easily and burns right now! Eat sugar up.gif , sugar is normally bad because you cannot burn it off fast enough, so it gets stored, then makes you fat. You are burning mass calories when you climb stuff, so you need quick energy, chocolate is good, I like Skittles(any flavor), took M&M's for Lost lake last Sunday, they dont melt or freeze too bad. Ok, all you healthy people can now chime in and trash my post. moon.gif C.J.

pizza bagger

pizza bagger
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 8:28 pm 
I think Sarbar needs to come up with a dehydrated pepperoni pizza recipe. up.gif up.gif Even when one is full, there is always room for another slice.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 8:32 pm 
I'm not sure that Dicey is exerting herself at a higher level that most of the rest of us just because her trips are real tough. It's about how tough a trip is commensurate to your physical fitness,and from what I know, she's among the fittest among us. So I think people are on a pretty level playing field in discussing this, even if their hikes are easier.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 9:50 pm 
pizza bagger wrote:
I think Sarbar needs to come up with a dehydrated pepperoni pizza recipe. up.gif up.gif Even when one is full, there is always room for another slice.
outback oven + pita bread or boboli + toppings, actually works really well with minimal prep and almost no cleanup

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 10:01 pm 
marzsit wrote:
pizza bagger wrote:
outback oven + pita bread or boboli + toppings, actually works really well with minimal prep and almost no cleanup
Lol...I am thinking Marzsit...last spring, in Quinalt, where we had tortillas with peperoni and cheese...yum! I had layed the one you shared with me on top of my tea kettle..and it got all warm. Y-u-m! Add in some pizza sauce from Papa John's (the little tubs) and you have heaven! Make it quesidalla style in a pan lid....all ooey gooey goodness lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 10:32 pm 
The only time I ever get nauseous hiking is when I am dehydrated or haven't eaten anything for breakfast (a muffin and some juice on the road always fits the bill). Usually I'm really hungry on hikes and consume lots of high carb/high protein foods such as cheese sandwiches and mixed nuts. Fresh fruits such as apples, plums, nectarines are great going uphill and help add energy, settle the stomach and quench thirst during the hardest part of the hike (and makes the pack lighter early on). Otherwise I just eat a high carb dinner the night before, such as pasta and I'm typically good to go.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 11:14 pm 
Hey all, Thanks for the replies! After reading the suggestions here I think that maybe not staying hydrated is part of my problem. Funny thing is, I drink TONS of water on a daily basis, but when I'm out there, I really don't drink nearly enough, I guess. I think everyone else I hike with drinks at least 3 times the amount I do. Even thought I don't drink that much, I think adding a carb/electrolite supplement to what I do drink might do the trick. I'll give it a try. Here's a weird thing; I like the chocolate GU (but no other flavors or brands), but for the most part, don't like chocolate dizzy.gif This makes my hiking partners happy because they don't have to share their chocolate stashes with me!

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/