Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 2:48 pm 
captain jack wrote:
Ok all you uber healthy, juice tiger usin', granola eating people, somebody needs to play devils advocate here, and once again I feel qualified to chime in . clown.gif Dicey, I also do not exert myself when hiking to the degree you do , but I do get the same "pukey no wanna eatie" stomach. 100 milligrams local herbs smoked in my pipe will make anything I brought seem appetizing, same reason it's prescribed for chemo patients, but thats not for everyone paranoid.gif . Raw veggies are nasty eek.gif , my god, it takes my stomach a few hours to break those down, what good is food that kicks in when I get back to the car confused.gif doh.gif You want stuff that fuels you quickly agree.gif , digests easily and burns right now! Eat sugar up.gif , sugar is normally bad because you cannot burn it off fast enough, so it gets stored, then makes you fat. You are burning mass calories when you climb stuff, so you need quick energy, chocolate is good, I like Skittles(any flavor), took M&M's for Lost lake last Sunday, they dont melt or freeze too bad. Ok, all you healthy people can now chime in and trash my post. moon.gif C.J.
CJ, are you related to Eddie Van Halen? hihi.gif
Eddie Van Halen arrives at the 14th Annual Elton John Academy Awards Viewing Dinner and After-Party in West Hollywood
Eddie Van Halen arrives at the 14th Annual Elton John Academy Awards Viewing Dinner and After-Party in West Hollywood

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 3:36 pm 
Tom wrote:
captain jack wrote:
Ok all you uber healthy, juice tiger usin', granola eating people, somebody needs to play devils advocate here, and once again I feel qualified to chime in . clown.gif Dicey, I also do not exert myself when hiking to the degree you do , but I do get the same "pukey no wanna eatie" stomach. 100 milligrams local herbs smoked in my pipe will make anything I brought seem appetizing, same reason it's prescribed for chemo patients, but thats not for everyone paranoid.gif . Raw veggies are nasty eek.gif , my god, it takes my stomach a few hours to break those down, what good is food that kicks in when I get back to the car confused.gif doh.gif You want stuff that fuels you quickly agree.gif , digests easily and burns right now! Eat sugar up.gif , sugar is normally bad because you cannot burn it off fast enough, so it gets stored, then makes you fat. You are burning mass calories when you climb stuff, so you need quick energy, chocolate is good, I like Skittles(any flavor), took M&M's for Lost lake last Sunday, they dont melt or freeze too bad. Ok, all you healthy people can now chime in and trash my post. moon.gif C.J.
CJ, are you related to Eddie Van Halen? hihi.gif
My hair's a little longer.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 6:49 pm 
dicey wrote:
Yikes! I can stomach GU, but would never be able to eat jelly! Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I agree about the fresh fruit as far as palatability, but I think the dried stuff is more calorie dense as well as being more 'packable'. I always eat well before and after a trip, which helps too. I'll just need to keep trying different things to find out what works for me. I am also going to start bringing that powdered drink stuff again to supplement my calorie intake. Of the ones out there, which ones have the most calories?
I use frozen concentrate apple juice on the first day of my climbs. Each can contains 720 calories. I make 3 quarts out of 2 cans. That's 1440 calories from that. You can't get any higher caloric intake than that from Gatorade or Gookinade. In addition, your body was meant to drink apple juice...not chemicals. The other key is to drink every 15 minutes. I learned that from the dudes on the Tour de France. The only way to accomplish that is through a bladder system. I take a big gulp every 15 minutes. When I started doing that I was kinda shocked by my performance throughout the day. The other tidbit. Meat. I eat those precooked Johnsonville Brats. I go through about 6 in one day. Your muscles need meat. And they are tasty and easy to eat. I also drink 2 quarts of apple juice just before I arrive at the trailhead, a banana, a sandwhich, and a Johnsonville Brat.

Art is an adventure.
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 7:11 pm 
My only experience with those artificial energy drink thingies was based on the recommendation of someone who has done ironman triathlons. We tested out Accelerade, the lime flavor before using it for real - thank goodness!!! gag.gif gag.gif gag.gif gag.gif gag.gif Not only was it the most ghastly, non-dissolvable, puke tasting drink (gee, we liked it a lot) but more pertinent to this thread, after determinedly choking it down I got about a 20 min high from it, then a terrible low. I'll never touch those things again. I'll go with real food, thank you. And clear water. But kudos to y'all that get this stuff to work for you, seriously. It's all what your individual body needs.

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 7:55 pm 
I second the vote for real food. It usually tastes pretty good. When you combine a bunch of chemicals to realize some nutritional benchmark, you end up with something that tastes like a scientific experiment. The science diet. hurl.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 8:40 pm 
Haven't met a sports drink yet, that did anything for me. Unless it did, and during or after my trip I was only near death, rather than totally dead if it weren't for the sports drink. So maybe they helped afterall. But what I found was odd for me, and this may not be true for Dicey, is that I was drinking too much water, thereby diluting the energy and vitimins. Plus, I was eating too much junk; candy bars and the like. Along with the usual cheese I had always brought, I now snack on smoked salmon or diced up pork-chop or chicken (pardon the pun), mini-bagels spread with peanut butter & raisins. My lunches are just an enhanced version of a snack - I might pull out a candy bar then, for a treat. I take dehydrated fruit that I make myself. You can carry 4 mangoes if you want, that way. Plus a pear, an apple or two, a pint of strawberries and a banana.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
EF

EF
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 8:49 pm 
I have exactly the same pukey problem that Dicey has, including that stress makes it worse. My unoriginal and somewhat successful solution has been to load up my water bottles with energy drink powder, drink as much as practical along the way, try to make myself eat stuff well before the pukiness starts, and bring jerky (which for some reason I find easier to choke down than other foods when I get the bad feeling). Climbing Philadelphia Mountain with Stefan left me with such profound respect for him that I just picked up some Johnsonville brats and frozen apple juice at the store! kissass.gif I'll try out the sausages-and-apple-juice method this weekend.

Karen

Karen
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 8:50 pm 
As usual, I wasn't hungry while hiking today but did stop just below Tiger 3 for an energy gel. I found one I'd forgotten about -- it's called Honey Stinger, Honey with B Vitamins (pure natural energy). It had kind of crystallized (I liked that, actually) but it did revive me a bit and took away the beginning of hunger. Hmmm, wonder where I got it? REI, I hope because I like this one. 120 calories, no fat, sodium 50 mg, potassium 85 mg, total carb 29 g, sugars 29 g. Protein, 0 -- Vitamin B, 25 percent. Label details: honey, pure water, potassium citrate, salt, niacinamide (Vit B3), calcium panththenate (Vit B5), maltodextrin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vit B6), riboflavin (Vit B2), thiamine monoitrate (Vit B1), cyanocobalamin (Vit B12). Karen Back at the car .... a different story. A mint patty and a cup of coffee.

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 10:09 pm 
Karen wrote:
Back at the car .... a different story. A mint patty and a cup of coffee.
A York with coffee is the best combination of anything ever wub.gif Added: EVER!

solohiker

solohiker
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 10:55 pm 
I'm with whomever it was up there - Kat I think - that said real food not sport drinks. But I'll still insist that everybody's body's (*note correct use of apostrophes ... the first is possesive and second is contracted form of body is) different. Mine can't do sugar ... and those electrolyte drinks are just different forms of sugar - they may break down easier or whatever but they are still sugar and they make me ill. If I must do dried fruits, dried bananas are the best - they aren't as sicky sweet as most others. My stomache must be like Stefan's - gimme a good brat and I can go anywhere. There's a little store in Roslyn that sells super jerky, too - I always pick some up there when heading to a trailhead out that way. So you guys that love your sport drinks, that's cool, just remember they don't work for everybody.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
wbs

wbs
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 11:01 pm 
I'll vote a second the mention of FRESH apples. Despite my initial rantings on fake energy bars blah.gif the fresh stuff does rejuvenate. Fructose and anti oxidants up.gif It may be Spartan, but the simple stuff on trail / lunch works for me: PB&J, apple, water, jerky etc. The only real times I think I've struggled up the switchbacks were excessive drink.gif cheers.gif blowout.gif the big night before a hike. (*not recommended as the views from the top are hazy) Then there are the others who I wonder how they do it... That guy who completed the Triple Crown (PCT, AT, CDT) back to back reportedly subsisting on power bars and Pop Tarts. I saw Polarbear eat a peanut butter and fresh tomato sandwich and skamper down the trail slobber.gif

touron

touron
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 11:45 pm 
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Pop tarts rule. Plus, they are a valuable trading commodity with other nearby campers. A $1.60 box of poptarts can bring in as much as $10 worth of other things. Poptarts O' poptarts up.gif You belong in my pack agree.gif I don't take just one wink.gif I bring a whole stack hungry.gif It's always that moment horsey.gif For thee I'm savin' chow.gif Vitamin A, Niacin, Iron ninja.gif And Riboflavin rockband.gif Blueberry, straberry dance.gif Whatever fruit epicure.gif I can trade you to others cheers.gif For a whole stash of loot biggrin.gif Frosted or plane, them both drink.gif drink.gif I like happymeal.gif Poptarts O' poptarts banana.gif You make my hike wub.gif toothbrush.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 6:59 am 
I know a nutritionist who swears by cold pizza. That's what she and her husband eat on big climbs.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 9:12 am 
solohiker wrote:
If I must do dried fruits, dried bananas are the best - they aren't as sicky sweet as most others.
That's why I dehyrdate my own. that store-bought stuff is no good. Actually, the store-bought dehydrated bananas taste like ass. I don't know what they hell they do to those things, but it must be agonizing. Before I started rolling my own, I found that Ballard Market had the best dried fruit. Tho I admit I like the pineapple flavored mangos from Mariani. It's trashy food, but I like the texture and it's fun to chew on. Why make a mango taste like pineapple? Dunno. Must've been invented by the same acid-heads who created HR Puffinstuff.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 10:54 am 
Quark wrote:
solohiker wrote:
If I must do dried fruits, dried bananas are the best - they aren't as sicky sweet as most others.
That's why I dehyrdate my own. that store-bought stuff is no good. Actually, the store-bought dehydrated bananas taste like ass. I don't know what they hell they do to those things, but it must be agonizing
store bought "dehydrated" banannas are usually deep-fried in coconut oil to make them crispy and give them a long shelf life.. but not so good for us. but i've tried to dry banana slices before with nasty results so i tend to stick to the trader joe's bananas instead...