Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > New Alpine Lakes permit restrictions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 11:51 am 
Looks like the FS is thinking about expanding the overnight permit requirement: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6600AP_WST_Alpine_Lakes_Wilderness.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 12:07 pm 
Bad idea. Just like it was for the Enchanments.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 12:09 pm 
I think it's a fine idea. I think it's a fine idea for the Es as well, except for that the LWP is part of the Enchantment permit zone.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Damian

Damian
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 12:20 pm 
There are other proven cheaper and less bureaucratic ways to deal with the (alleged) overcrowding. Education and simple string and stick close offs have worked very well in numerous other places in the Alpine Lakes. This opinion is from having watched the effects of these tactics over the past 25 years in other very popular spots. Contrary to popular lore, the Enchantments were not overcrowded before the permit system. (flame suit on). Abuse, however, was common. The popularity of the area has soared as a result of the advertising the permit system has provided, so I agree there is no going back. We are smarter now and new more affordable approaches need to be thoroughly considered. The FS has been attempting to expand the Enchantment permit system for years. I hope they fail again.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 12:33 pm 
I don't know. Strings and sticks may have slowed the damage at Ramparts, for example, but they are still in way worse shape than they were ten years ago. OTOH, permits imply enforcement, which is relatively easy and expensive in a limited area like the Enchantments. It would be a lot harder to police a larger area. Most of the time I don't see people, let alone rangers in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area, except near the parking lot...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 12:42 pm 
Ive only seen back country rangers a couple times in the ALW. Im surprised that the Ramparts havent been permitized years ago.....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 12:43 pm 
I don't know what LWP stands for, but my thought is that a permit system for the Ingalls/Headlight Basin area would be an administrative drain - it is so easily accessible that the infractions would be a very high number (there are already infractions re dogs on Ingalls Way trail on a regular basis). High infractions mean high administration costs involved in policing the area. Region 6 should more trailworkers instead of rangers for a new permit area. Lots of families use that area to introduce their kids to the outdoors. Making difficult access would mean otherwise future outdoor advocate would be never immersed in the outdoors at all. We'd lose valuable advocacy resources in the future. Yeah, it's crowded, but so's everywhere else.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 12:49 pm 
Quote:
LWP
Lost World Plateau

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 12:56 pm 
marylou wrote:
I think it's a fine idea. I think it's a fine idea for the Es as well, except for that the LWP is part of the Enchantment permit zone.
So then what do you mean by the above statement? Did I forget how to read? It says you think a permit system is ok for the Ingalls area except that the Lost World Plateau is part of the Enchantments?? confused.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 1:10 pm 
I think the permit system is a fine idea. I also think it's unfortunate that the LWP is part of the Enchantment zone--the reason being that the E zone proper is the most sought-after area of all of the zones, and the LWP is the least visited...so if you want to go to this more remote area, you're up against all the folks who want permits for the Enchantment zone and who are more than likely not camping in the LWP. Hope that clears it up. It's just a minor nit with the way the lines were drawn is all.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 2:30 pm 
I'm not sure I like it. First of all, unless I'm missing something, you can't camp at Ingalls today so I'm not sure what a permit system for Ingalls would accomplish, unless they are going to limit dayhikers. If they limit camping in Headlight Basin more folks will just dayhike to Ingalls - granted it might limit impact in Headlight Basin, but I don't recall it being that chewed up the last time I was there. Compare to the Enchantments where it's too far for most folks to dayhike in - there I can buy the argument that permits limit traffic and impact. I'd rather see them impose hefty fines on people who break the rules before a permit system. For example, post a $500 fine at the trailhead for bringing fido and I bet you will solve the dog problem.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 3:10 pm 
They're not talking about Ingalls Lake but the Ingalls area in general. Beyond the lake (if you're coming from Ingalls Pass) where there is no camping allowed, and toward 4th Creek Trail is a huge expanse of meadow. But that's not overrun by any stretch of the imagination. I don't recall Headlight Basin to be worn out, either. Camping there seems to me, at least, to be more popular during larch season, and at that is only for a few weeks, and mainly thwarted due to high winds and icy-cold weather.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 3:33 pm 
Hmm, well, I never understood why Eightmile, Caroline, or Stuart required permits either. Seems like overkill to me. I assume Ingalls is managed by the same ranger district, so perhaps not a surprise. Maybe they have good reasons, but I'd like to see more rationale than just "that area is way overused on weekends".

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 3:36 pm 
Enchantments are Leavenworth Ranger district, Ingalls is Wenatchee Ranger District. Maybe Wenatchee is jealous and they want a permit system in their district too.

Damian

Damian
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 4:06 pm 
Tom wrote:
Hmm, well, I never understood why Eightmile, Caroline, or Stuart required permits either.
The expansion to include Eightmile, Caroline, and Stuart was an early phase of a program whose eventual goal was to require permits for the entire ALW. The plan lost steam after a couple years due to public input. (should be more of this) But these plans never die. They get pulled out again, and again. I agree Tom, it was even more unnecessary to include these areas. My point is not that certain areas do not need new rules. And the above point about Rampart is valid, exept that Rampart was already stomped to oblivion 10+ years ago. It doesn't look much worse now IMO. I would personally support an entire closure of certain places to allow them time to reveg. In other places, great leverage is to be had from some simple measures, like sticks, string, small signs, and camping restriction near lakes. Also, education and signs at trailheads. Volunteer revegitation efforts, mass tree and vegitation plantings, and erosion mats. These things all work very well. Perfect example of these is Margaret and Mary lakes. Chain Lakes and Doelle also. Those places were scalped and heaps of rotting garbage and rusting junk were the norm 25 years ago. Chiwaukum and Larch lakes were a horsy garbage dump the first time I went there in 1980. The guy camped next to us was using a full size chain saw to cut firewood. Look at these lakes now. And no permits. Its not the number of people that hurt these areas. Its the number of people abusing the places. The percent of abusers, hikers and horsefolk alike, has dropped dramatically in 25 years. Very few people deliberately destroy a place. They simply don't know the guidelines. Simple measures have more effect now than before. Awareness is at an all time high. New times, new approaches. The permit system is a relic.