Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Roadless Areas Rule Reinstated:
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Dec 14, 2002 10:23 am 
This just in: ROADLESS AREA CONSERVATION RULE REINSTATED We are ecstatic to report a huge victory for all Americans who care about our National Forests! Yesterday, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the legality of the Roadless Area Conservation Rule. "The roadless area conservation rule is now in effect, said Mike Anderson, attorney for The Wilderness Society. It is the law of the land. I have not felt this goodin months!" The ruling was in response to a lawsuit brought by Boise Cascade and the state of Idaho challenging its legality. The Bush Administration did not defend the rule, but many environmental groups, including The Wilderness Society, did, with the help of Earthjustice. The rule would place off limits to logging some 50 million acres of wild lands. Forest Service officials are reviewing the court decision. While some changes could be proposed, they would face tough opposition from the conservation community. The rule was developed following unprecedented citizen involvement, with some 1.6 million comments and 600 public meetings. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Dec 14, 2002 10:34 am 
The ninth circuit court is the MOST over turned court (by the supreme court) in history! MOST of their rulings are over turned by the U.S. supreme court. They have an extremely liberal bias. Keep your eyes out. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Dec 14, 2002 10:41 am 
Yes, you are perhaps right, but in this humble man's opinion, I hope it sticks, at least for some time to come. And I am sure we and others could argue that from however ones opinion is on it, but I thought I'd pass the info on sent to me onto the net board here...

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Dec 14, 2002 12:32 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
The ninth circuit court is the MOST over turned court (by the supreme court) in history! MOST of their rulings are over turned by the U.S. supreme court.
Most of the Ninth Circuit's decisions are NOT over turned. Only about 0.3% of their cases are even reviewed by the Supreme Court. Of those that are reviewed, most have been overturned in recent years. But that is not uncommon. For instance, for 1996 here is a rundown of Circuits that had a high percentage of their reviewed cases overturned: 2nd Circuit-100% 3rd Circuit-100% 4th Circuit-64% 5th Circuit-100% 6th Circuit-89% 9th Circuit-78% 10th Circuit-75% 11th Circuit-100% DC Circuit-67% Federal Circuit-80% Average reversal rate 76%

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
salish

salish
PostSat Dec 14, 2002 12:38 pm 
Some good news for us all, McP, thanks for posting it. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
trask

trask
PostSat Dec 14, 2002 12:43 pm 
Ninth Court Wackos
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which recently showed his distain for the Second Amendment, also has declared the use of the words "under God" by public schoolchildren when reciting the Pledge of Allegiance to be an affront to the Constitution. Big deal. The Ninth Circuit says a lot of things, few of which, thank God, are taken seriously outside their own chambers. This court has demonstrated time and again that its view of the Constitution is at odds with that of most of America and indeed with that of the Supreme Court.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Dec 14, 2002 1:04 pm 
trask wrote:
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals...also has declared the use of the words "under God" by public schoolchildren when reciting the Pledge of Allegiance to be an affront to the Constitution. Big deal.
It is an affront to some, particularly since that phrase was not part of the original pledge, but was inserted in 1954 by then President Eisenhower. I would not be sad in the least to see the pledge put back in its original form. There are bigger church/state issues to be fought, though. Living with "under God" in the pledge and "In God We Trust" on coins are minor issues compared to some of the government-sponsored religion issues going on today.

PostSat Dec 14, 2002 1:15 pm 
regarding the original post by McPil - up.gif