Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Garland Hot Springs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostMon Dec 16, 2002 10:23 am 
Hi there, Does anyone know the history of Garland Hot Springs, which I believe used to be NE of the Index area by about 23 miles? A former Seattlelite asked me if it was still there, and the last time he had seen it was in 1955. I think I drove my old vw bug (Baja Jeep) to it in the early 1970's, and I seem to recall a bunch of rundown buildings and it was totally unoccupied. Or was I smoking too much buzzweed back then? Can anyone bring me up to date on these springs? Thanks, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Dec 16, 2002 10:46 am 
On the maps they are referred to as Garland Mineral Springs. The North Fork of the Skykomish Road takes you very close. Try clicking into www.hotspringsenthusiast.com/WA.htm for the map. For historical information you might find it helpful to call the museum in Index. It is small but has a wealth of local information. Pickett Index Historical Museum can be reached at 360-793-1534.

salish

salish
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 9:02 am 
Mike, I posted a response here a couple of days ago but I guess it didn't take. Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into it, and pass this along to me friend. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 1:20 pm 
the "hot springs" was tepid water oozing from the ground that was heated in a tank to fool hotel visitors, from what I understand.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 2:41 pm 
You are probably right on as I have been by there many times and never seen anyone hanging out.

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 11:37 pm 
Here is a study on the area

Gordy Comer

Gordy Comer
PostFri Dec 20, 2002 12:03 am 
Garland Springs
I tried to see the Garland Springs in October. It was easy to find by the North Fork Sky road, but big signs stated that it was private property and a private residence. I think Shelley told me she visited it years ago and it was quite smelly, oh well.

salish

salish
PostFri Dec 20, 2002 4:43 pm 
Thanks Gordy & PB. PB, my home system won't allow me downloads right now, so I'll look at this study at work on Monday. Thanks, Cliff

Plinko

Plinko
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 3:06 am 
Garland Mineral Springs (S.25;T.28N;R.11E) - These springs are a dozen miles northeast of Index in southeast Snohomish County. They were named for A. H. Bert Garland of Wenatchee, who prospected in the region in 1894, and purchased property from Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Starr. Previous names were Soda Springs and Starr Hot Springs.

Fred

Fred
PostSat May 31, 2003 3:28 am 
Garland Mineral Springs
Cliff, Garland Mineral Springs has been owned by Cameron A. Sharpe since 1953. He and his family ran it as a Christian Resort until 1960, at which time the lodge burnt to the ground. Previous to that, in 1959, the river flooded and did much damage to the property. The winter of 1953, they were snowed-in and were rescued with big snowmobiles. If you would like more information, you can reach me at zipper777@prodigy.net . I lived there off and on during the 50's, going to school at both Index and Sultan. I haven't been to the property since 1988. Nature had pretty much taken over. Fred

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostSat May 31, 2003 5:41 pm 
Wow, thanks Fred, for your response. Those are very interesting stories. Given your timeline, I'm beginning to wonder if I was confusing Garland Hot Springs with some other place. The place I saw in the early 70's still had some structures and fence, and a gate. Appreciate your reply, and I may contact you off line. Cliff

Fred

Fred
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 2:49 am 
More history about Garland Mineral Springs
Cliff, The last time I was there, February 1988, there was still several cabins standing and parts of the fence was still standing. The cabin with the peaked roof (cabin @1), I lived in with my family, while attending the 7th grade at Index's two-room school house. The cement foundations, to your right, as you looked in the main gate, were the swimming pool and lodge. Garland had 4 mineral springs. The first two are the brown colored mineral water, that has a temperature of about 68 degrees. We drank the mineral water and caked the mineral mud on our faces to counteract acne. The pool was filled from the first spring, and years before the Sharpes ran Garland, the pool was heated by a wood furnace located in the basement of the lodge. The 3rd spring is colder and has soda water bubbling from it. The 4th spring was a few yards up the main road, on the left hand side. However, a slide occurred in the 50's, burying it. That spring contained carbonated water. If you'll send me your email address, I will send you a picture attachment of Garland before the flood and fire. There are stories of people being carried into the springs, at the turn of the century, and walking out on their own after soaking in the medicinal water and mud. In the 30's, Garland was supposedly run by organized crime and they used it as a hideout. Also, Will Rogers stopped at Garland before heading for Alaska. His plane went down before arriving in Alaska. He was killed in that crash. Enough for now. Fred

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
JimK

JimK
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 11:46 am 
Wow, many of us would love to see that picture. How about if you or Cliff posted it at this board?

salish

salish
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 1:29 pm 
Fred, What you're describing is exactly what's in my mind's eye, so we're talking about the same place. I'd be very interested in hearing more about your growing up in that area, as I'm sure many of us on this board would be, too. If you would like to send me that picture, please feel free. You can simply click on my name and send it as a PM (Private message) or as email. Or, I'm at Salish@foxinternet.com. But like Jimk says, I'm sure everyone here would be interested in seeing it - would you mind if I/we posted the photo? There are still a few of us locals around here who recall "the old days" and it's fun to learn more about the past. For instance, I only recently learned from "Oldtimer" that there was a resort on Lake Isabel back in the 1890's, complete with a horse buggy road to it. I didn't know that. Thanks, Cliff

salish

salish
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 5:41 pm 
Friends, Fred has sent me a great photo of Garland Mineral Springs, along with some great stories of the area. I think it's a priceless look in the history of one of our more interesting areas in the Cascades/ Enjoy (and thanks Fred!) Cliff Cliff, This seems the easiest way for me to send the attachment of Garland Mineral Springs before the flood and fire. Feel free to share it with the rest of those interested. This picture was on a postcard that was sold from the lodge coffee shop. This picture was taken about even with the 2nd (largest) spring. It is looking south. That's Bear Mountain in the background. Upon it lived a hermit in the 30's. We could see the remains of his shack from the lodge. Several of us hiked to the spot where he once lived. We found some newspapers dated in the 30's....prices were really cheap back then. That's another story! The main entrance was right of the picture, even with the parked cars. The cars are parked in front of the fence enclosing the pool. Cabin #1,the one with the steepled roof, stood just to the left of the grassy area, enclosed with the logs, in the foreground. The cabin faced the lodge. In 1988 that cabin was still standing. I know that the signs said "Private Property, No Trespassing. Violators Will Be Shoot." However, whenever I would visit the ruins, I would walk the entire grounds, and never once ran into anyone. The property consists of 40 acres, part of it on the other side of the river. The had a power plant that generated DC current. It was located a short climb up the hill where the county road ends, just around the bend from the main entrance. It was generated from the water from the creek that came off the mountain. Someone stole all the copper wire that connected the generator to the buildings, on the property. The lodge was 3 stories with a full basement. It was heated by steam radiators fueled by a wood furnace, in the basement. The front door entered into a cozy front room with a large fireplace. There were several stuffed animals' heads, hanging on the walls. The walls and ceilings were paneled with knotty pine. Beyond the living room was a spacious dining room, where they served delicious chicken dinners,every Sunday for $1.50 a plate. Also, on the 1st floor was the kitchen with walk-in refrigerator. The coffee shop was accessible from a door near the pool. Showers were in the basement. The 2nd and 3rd floors were accessed from stairs from the living room. There were approximately 20 rooms on these floors. They were also paneled in knotty pine. To my recollection, there were sinks in most of the rooms, but only one small bathroom for each of the floors( 2nd and 3rd). There were no bathrooms on the main floor. If you wanted to take a shower, you had to go to the basement. I now live in Riverside, California. I really miss Garland. It was really a small part of my life, but one of the most memorable. I am hoping to make it back to Garland, to walk the grounds, and reminisce just one more time. Things have changed quite a bit. The road is now paved and there are many cabins between Index and Garland. In the 50's, the closest cabin was Tom's Cabin, one mile south of Troublesome Creek. That was the only cabin between Garland and Index. If you get back up there, there is Bear Falls just one mile north of Troublesome Creek, two miles before Garland. It's a short walk from the road and worth the effort. Again, enough for now. Feel free to share any of this with the others. Fred
Garland Mineral Springs, Index, WA
Garland Mineral Springs, Index, WA