Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Garland Hot Springs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Zipper

Zipper
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 12:23 pm 
The murderous rumors of Garland Mineral Springs
It's true. There used to be NO TRESPASSING signs and a sign that said any trespassers would be SHOT ON SIGHT, but in all the times I have been back there, I have never run into anyone living there and I certainly never was shot at. Most of the people now living in Index are not up on the history of Garland. The people that ran the store and post office (Berkstallers) are no longer there. I'm quite sure they are both dead by now. The new owner has only been there between 6 and 10 years and knows nothing about the history of Garland. I also noticed that the tavern was FOR SALE. The old timers seem to be either dying off or moving elsewhere. Fred

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Zipper

Zipper
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 8:31 am 
Another former Garlandite
Hi All, I received an email from a Garlandite that was around at the time of the lodge burning down. Here is her story: Hi Fred, Maybe we have met....(smile) I went to grade school in Index before moving to Skykomish.. I'll never forget the day Mrs. Sharpe came to pick up her daughter after school at my house....we were best friends. We were all worried because her mom was late.....and when she finally arrived she was crying. The lodge had burnt to the ground....I think Jon Sharpe was at our house too. I spent many weekends at Garland. The lodge was my second home. Sort of lost track after moving to Sky. I've often wondered about Rosie Denny...Walter Denny, John Slusher...and a few more. I'm in New York now.....would love to hear from you. PS....we lived on the corner...just at the bottom of the hill to the old school. Later we moved to the big house along the river... two doors down from the Spanglers. Fran (Denman) Fred dizzy.gif

Gnomeboy3

Gnomeboy3
PostTue Oct 21, 2003 3:09 am 
Garland Mineral/Hot Springs
Hi Fred, I just got done reading this entire thread, and I must say how exciting it was to read/hear about Garland again. My Father (who had his childhood spa/spring experiences in Florida and Alabama) decided to give his son (me) the same experiences he had as a child, by taking our enitre Indian Guide group to Garland back in the mid-60's. Since moving back to Seattle a few years ago, my girlfriend and I have been contemplating hiking to every Washington State thermal spring we can find on our (old) maps. Last weekend we ventured to Olympic Hot Springs and had a great time. After reading your messages I'm even more curious as to what the present state of GHS is now. Is it safe to venture onto the land? Is there some one or group to contact to get permission? On a similar note, have you thought about writing a book about your (and others') Garland experiences? I'm sure such a collage of stories would go over very well at such places as REI, and U.S. National Park bookstores/giftshops, etc. Thanks again. Jeff

Zipper

Zipper
PostTue Oct 21, 2003 6:04 am 
Jeff, Thanks so much for your reply. Concerning your question of whether visiting Garland would be dangerous or not, I have found it safe each time I have visited. In fact, I have never ever run into a single soul. However, if you plan to use the springs for bathing, etc., it might be a good idea to call the Heritage Baptist Fellowship, out of Sultan, to get their permission. Their number is 360-793-1065. Each time I have attempted to call them, I have got a recording, but I am sure that if you would leave a message, they would get back with you. Good luck! Fred

Reachsea

Reachsea
PostSat Sep 10, 2005 9:55 pm 
Garland Mineral Springs
Hi Fred, I thought you might want to connect. The Garland stories were great to read. By the way, the Petterson family were friends who often came to Garland. I also remember Francis Denman. She was in my class at Index Grade School. Jon Sharpe

Reachsea

Reachsea
PostSat Sep 10, 2005 10:01 pm 
Garland Mineral Springs
Hi Cliff, Our family knew your cousins. Actually I think your uncle Ernie Petterson was quite a hunter at Garland Mineral Springs. Jon Sharpe

Reachsea

Reachsea
PostSat Sep 10, 2005 10:04 pm 
Garland Mineral Springs
The Garland Mineral Springs Corporation own Garland. This is a family corporation. Jon

QueenBee

QueenBee
PostFri Sep 30, 2005 11:34 am 
Fran (Denman)
Fred This is Barbara (Mooney) who grew up at Garland, I would love to talk to Francis (Denman)....oh the hours we spent watching American Bandstand while waiting to be picked up after school. Fun to visit a site with so many people remembering special times at Garland.

Zipper

Zipper
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 7:00 pm 
More pics
Lodge
Lodge
Lodge from side
Lodge from side
Cab I from the distance
Cab I from the distance
Cab I III
Cab I III
It's been awhile since there has been any posting. I recently made contact with Jon Sharpe, son of Cameron. He sent me some more pics of Garland in its heyday. Thought I'd share them with the group, if I can remember how :-) Fred

Zipper

Zipper
PostSat Oct 15, 2005 9:09 pm 
Garland lodge 1950s
Garland lodge 1950s
Cars in front of pool fence
Cars in front of pool fence
I just received a couple more pics of Garland before the lodge burnt down in 1960. Don't the cars look different/

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Nov 20, 2005 1:59 am 
Fascinating history on this thread. Thanks for posting the great pictures. My daughters and I camped down river from Garland in mid August. We walked up river and poked around, but didn't walk on to the grounds. There were 3-4 vehicles and people looked to be staying in several of the cabins. The river course is up tight against the bank and there's a 4 ft. cliff dropping to the water about 5 ft. from the #1 cabin. There were several concrete jersey barriers, but it doesn't look like anything has been done to prevent that cabin from going in the next flood. Where the old concrete foundation is the river has dug out a nice swimming hole, so we enjoyed a cool dip on a warm day. This area has so much history and it's great to see some first hand knowledge.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
sensei

sensei
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 7:10 pm 
OH man does this bring back memories! Just thought I'd sign in and add my Garland Story. My dad actually was the one who posted those "trespassers will be shot" sign up at Garlands. My Uncle had a lease on the property from Cam Sharpe from the early 70's right up until the Baptist Church took over a few years back. There were quite a few break in's during the time that my dad and uncle were looking after the place (broken windows, drunks, druggies crashing the place...you name it) so they thought the signs would scare people off....apparently they did! All of those tin roofs on the cabins were the work of my father and uncle too. Many of the cabins caved in over the years due to the heavy snowfall. My mother said she also lived up there for a short time during the 50's when Jacks Pass was being built. Maybe she might know a few of you on this board. My mom and dad were also married by Cam Sharpe in front of the group of trees next to the 8 sided cabin. I have been living in Japan for about the past 10 years so I haven't been up there since, but I would like to get up there and have a look around when I come home for good next fall. Does anybody know if the church allows visitors? I spent quite a few summers up there with my family and would love the chance to walk around my old stomping grounds again! I'm sure I have a few pics of the place somewhere over here with me. If I can find them I'll post them up on the site for everybody to enjoy.

Cameron Sharpe

Cameron Sharpe
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 10:25 am 
Garland Mineral Springs
I'm new to this site, but might be able to fill in on Garland Mineral Springs. My parents, Rev. Cameron and Medora Sharpe, along with our aunt, Laura Mae Mooney purchased Garland Mineral Springs in 1953 for use as a youth campground and for church conferences. The site is located 14 miles N.E. of the town of index off U.S. Hwy 2. The road is now paved all the way past Garland, to the bridge over the N. Fork of the Skykomish, leading over Jack's pass and back down the Beckler river back to the town of Skykomish. (Stay on the right side of the USFS road down the Beckler, as the left side will take you to the Evergreen lookout tower). Waypoints from Garland are: Galena road bridge, about 5-miles; Cross over the N. Fork of the Sky, 4-miles; Troublesome Creek Campground, 3-miles, Bear Creek falls, 2-miles, and San Juan Campground 1-mile. Bear Creek falls are incredible-if you can find them. At Garland, the road splits with the main road going up quite a hill. The lower split to the right goes into Garland. Park at the gate, and advance with a nice smile. Zipper was right on the history. He was there. Briefly: The youth camping business was not economically viable, and my father was not into raising funds from gullible TV viewers, so we lived pretty close to the earth. The 1959 flood was devastating, and the Jan. 61 fire took the spectacular lodge. After that, vandalism and theft pretty much stripped everything, and dad was pretty discouraged. He went to work and paid off a lot of debt - would never consider bankruptcy. Recently, we have leased the site to the Heritage Baptist Church in Monroe, and they are actually rebuilding. Mr. Mark Effenberger is managing the site, and is a pretty friendly guy. His charge is to prevent vandalism and theft, so wave and smile as you approach, and don't wear your gun. The first thing you see will be mineral spring #1. You can drink directly from it if you have a cup. ONLY DRINK 4 TO 6 OZ PER DAY as it has about all the minerals you body can handle. Lots of iron, some selenium, and no odor. It is an incredible area to visit. Will send pix later.

hyak.net

hyak.net
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 9:08 am 
New article on WA Hotsprings
ridgeboarder

ridgeboarder
PostTue Aug 22, 2006 2:50 am 
Admin Note: The contents of this post were lost in a database crash.

I work at a gear shop and love to snowboard, hike,camp,backpack and many to all outdoor activities my home is in east wenatchee but i live in spokane while in school. I love to hike the northwest!!