Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Garland Hot Springs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Klapton

Klapton
PostThu Dec 21, 2006 5:35 pm 
I'm a Washingtonian who left home for the Army in 1988, and haven't managed to move back home since. When I was a kid, our family had a lot at Gold Bar Nature Trails, and we used to hike all over the place, including up to Lake Isabel. So, I'm playing around with Google Earth (a really neat program!) and was homesick. I started following the Skykomish river upstream, fantisizing about winning the lotto and buying a valley somewhere to dissapear into. I saw Garland Hotsprings on the map. I googled it, and found this thread. What a great read this was! I'll be finished with my Army Reserve career in a couple years, and hope to move home for good. I'm a computer programmer, and currently telecommute three days a week for the company I work for in Pennsylvania. Heck, if I could get a 100% telecommuting job, I could do a satellite internet connection and live in the middle of nowhere... Such are the thoughts I have when I get homesick for real mountains, winters that are dark green instead of gray-brown, and rivers fed by snowmelt.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostThu Dec 21, 2006 10:57 pm 
Wow, the history of that area is really amazing. It sure is wonderful that it is getting fixed up.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Dec 24, 2006 1:53 am 
I haven't seen any info. on whether Garland made it through the Nov flood or not? Several of the cabins were very close to going down river summer before last. Anyone heard anything? Lake Isabel, that brings back many memories. I grew up across the river from Goldbar Nature Trails. Not much has changed other than the roads are much worse and you need to start your hike in a maze of quad and motorcycle trails.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
salish

salish
PostSun Dec 24, 2006 9:07 am 
Klapton - welcome back, sort of. When you get back you need to make a trip up that way for old times sake. Geohiker - in the mid-60's you could drive up that old road to within a quarter mile or so of the steep part and it was much easier. I need to fish Isabel next year. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Zipper

Zipper
PostSun Apr 29, 2007 7:08 am 
November flooding.
I haven't been to Garland since the summer of 2003, but I talked with Cam Sharpe recently and he stated that he had received word that the river finally swept Cabin #1,the steepled cabin, into Spring #1. Seems that Mother Nature has taken over. The river has changed course so much that there seems to be more of Garland's property on the other side of the river. If the river continues to come any further west, it will eventually cover the springs too. Fred

Jake

Jake
PostSun Apr 29, 2007 7:38 am 
I don’t think any of the cabins were lost during the floods but at least one now has beachfront access. If it is to be used it will have to be moved back some. They may have lost some small out buildings but I don’t know for sure.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Apr 29, 2007 8:06 am 
Jake said
Quote:
I don’t think any of the cabins were lost during the floods but at least one now has beachfront access. If it is to be used it will have to be moved back some. They may have lost some small out buildings but I don’t know for sure.
But yesterday Sophia said
Quote:
The road from Jack's Pass is gated about 100 feet before the Garland Hot Springs area. Garland Hot Springs cabins were destroyed in flood. ........ Troublesome Creek and San Juan Campgrounds are closed indefinitely, as they were basically destroyed-particularly Troublesome Creek.
Has anybody actually been to the site who can provide a first-hand report? Or pictures? hmmm.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue May 01, 2007 10:52 pm 
Yeah, made it up that way today. Check out the report here Garland is mostly gone by the river. There are 2 cabins on the east side that are left. One is about to fall into the river. All that's keeping it from going is a cedar tree. The river took a jog N. and wiped out a 75 ft. section of the access road, so you can't get a vehicle in. I was shocked how run down the place is. All the cabins away from the river are a wreck with open doors and junk everywhere. So sad to see this once beautiful area in such disrepair. The mineral springs look fine. I'd sure love to own this piece of land and fix it up. San Juan campground has no damage at all. It's high enough above the river that there was no problem in the flood. Same with the upper section of Troublesome Creek CG. The lower section is a mess though and will take some serious work to repair.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed May 02, 2007 4:36 am 
Thanks, GeoHiker. Great TR, by the way. That was the kind of information we needed: first hand report from a responsible party. Big difference between "San Juan Campground wiped out" and "no damage to San Juan Campground"! Et cetera. I'm glad the little tourist trail at Troublesome Creek survived. It's a very pretty spot. But, just for your information, it's the waytrail that runs upstream from the tourist trail that's loved by Quark (and some of the rest of us). I say "waytrail", because that's what it is, now, but once upon a time it was a real, maintained trail. The cut logs extend upstream almost two miles. The curiosity about it is that nobody seems to know who did the work, or when it was done.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Reachsea

Reachsea
PostTue Jun 12, 2007 11:26 pm 
Garland pics
The property is for sale and the family would either like to sell it or trade it.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 12, 2007 11:30 pm 
I know the owner of Scenic HS spoke with the owners a year or two ago about buying the property and they wanted the moon for it. Perhaps that has changed?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Jun 13, 2007 6:44 am 
Where can I get info about the size, assets etc of this property?

Zipper

Zipper
PostWed Jun 13, 2007 1:39 pm 
Garland Mineral Springs consists of 40 acres with much being now on the east side of the river.

Reachsea

Reachsea
PostWed Jun 13, 2007 9:38 pm 
Garland property
I will be out of country for a month but you can call me after July 5, and I can work with you on it. Jon Sharpe jsharpeseattle@earthlink.net

Zipper

Zipper
PostMon Jun 18, 2007 5:53 pm 
Pictures
GeoHiker, did you take any pictures while on your jaunt to Garland, San Juan, and Troublesome? If so, I am sure many of us would appreciate seeing them if you would be so kind as to post them. Thanks.