Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 18, 2007 5:55 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Where can I get info about the size, assets etc of this property?
I'll take an acre! smile.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jun 18, 2007 6:57 pm 
Hey, GeoHiker I just found this
Quote:
This post was lost in a database crash.
It's talking anout your May 1, 2007, trip report on Garland Mineral Springs. Can you at least repost those pictures? It was an outstanding TR, too, but I don't blame you if you don't feel like trying to recreate it ....... though it would be nice if you could. agree.gif The pictures, however, were a major contribution to our storm damage threads and we really ought to have them. Thanks

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
PNW4Life

PNW4Life
PostSun Jun 24, 2007 4:21 pm 
Garland Hot Springs - June 23 report
Thanks to everyone who reported on Garland and shared their stories. Mr. Sharpe it's great to see you on here too! My dad is Sensei's uncle (great to see you too Sam) and was one of the two brothers who leased the property from the Sharpes'. I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Garland for so many years. It's such a wonderful childhood memory playing in the hot springs and hiking around with my family. One of the best memories was one that my other cousin and I recently talked about. When I was about 8 years old my dad, cousin and myself had decided to camp out under the stars instead of sleeping in the cabin with my mom. It lasted all of about 30 minutes because of the bats that flew within a foot or so of our heads eating misquitoes. My cousin and I decided that was enough and the cabin was safer! Another fond memory was of the springs, my cousin and I were playing in them and decided to cover ourselves in the orange mud and even talked about how fun it would be to bottle up the mud and sell it to France for big bucks. Wonderful years those were. Like my subject line says I was at Garland yesterday. My dad and I decided to get out of town and re-visit the area. I haven't been there in 6-8 years and it was so hard to see the trash and the distruction of past people. I have come to grips with the distruction of the river as it is forever inevitable. The property is salvagable and will again be just as beautiful with the help of many people. I hope that someone someday will take the time and clean it up. It will always have a special place in my heart and mind. Many thanks to the Sharpe family for the years of fun I had up there with my dad, and my uncle's family.

Reachsea

Reachsea
PostFri Jul 06, 2007 10:32 am 
Great to have such good feedback. Would any of you want to give the Sharpe/Mooney family some ideas about how to proceed with the Garland property? We are listening!

seatownlion

seatownlion
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 2:34 pm 
what to do with garland??
sell it to me biggrin.gif

Klapton

Klapton
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 6:42 pm 
Here's the Info from the Snohomish County Records on the property. It's 36.86 acres of bubble inside of of USFS land. Here's what I think should happen to the property... I'll buy it for as much money as I can scrape together (which will no doubt not be enough for what it is actually worth). Now, here's why the owners should go ahead and take me up on it: By purchasing the property, I would agree to do the following: 1) Maintain a free parking area / trailhead for hikers headed into "Big Sky" country. 2) Build and maintain a picnic pavilion near that parking area, that would be open to the public. 3) Recruit as many people as possible to build a large bunkhouse (maybe 20 or so beds?) that would be free to backpackers and hikers. I would build it from logs using the "Butt and Pass" method. (For those interested in affordable, do-it-yourself Log Home building, see the Log Home Builder's Association Website!) This free bunkhouse would have a small bathroom / shower room which I will keep stocked with cleaning supplies for folks to help keep it nice. 4) Build my log home on the property. 5) Restore the old cabins as much as possible, and possibly build some more that would be winter-worthy and nice enough for me to rent out and hopefully make enough money I could retire. Anyway, there's my master plan. I'm sure I don't have enough money to do it alone, but I would happily share my little piece of heaven with everyone else, if folks would help me out. If anyone thinks this idea is not completely insane, email me at MyForumUserName@rcn.com. (Look up at my username. I'd rather not just type out the email, because of spam bots that comb forums looking for people to post email addresses.)

Jake

Jake
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 6:52 pm 
Thanks for thinking of us hikers but you'd better check on the cost of liability insurance while you're running numbers. As soon as you allow John Q. Public on your property you become liable for their injuries, damage to their cars and any equipment they may have.

Klapton

Klapton
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 7:00 pm 
It's a shame that our society has become so litigious that people are afraid to be nice. Perhaps we could find a hiker/lawyer to volunteer to write a nice sign to post about how only nice people are allowed to use the facilities?

Jake

Jake
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 7:55 pm 
I agree that it is a shame we have to watch our hinnies just because some people will sue for anything including their own ignorant stunts just so they can get money. I don't remember it being like that in the 50's when I was a kid. People just didn't sue if it could be worked out and most of the time that meant only an apology and a few repairs. Now days with big money lawsuits being the norm everybody is fair game for the greedy. I still think you have a good idea and nice heart, but I doubt it will work in this world.

Reachsea

Reachsea
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 9:53 pm 
Thanks for the idea!
We appreciate the ideas. We would like to compile several ideas and then see which one makes the most sense to all of us. Thanks

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 24, 2007 9:32 pm 
Question - is that still a hot spring? Anyone?

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Reachsea

Reachsea
PostFri Aug 24, 2007 9:41 pm 
About 70 degrees when the river is not running over it.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 24, 2007 9:47 pm 
Heck, That ain't nothin'.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Klapton

Klapton
PostSat Aug 25, 2007 1:10 pm 
Yeah... I'm not sure what could or should be done with the springs themselves. From the pictures someone posted, the water isn't very nice, and I don't think you could convince anyone to swim in it these days. (I rather wonder if a previous poster was right, that they just added some of the spring water to the pool and let people think it was all from the hot spring, hehe.) I think some form of landscaping / stonescaping around it would be nice. Build some kind of pretty stone pond and a garden with some benches etc. around it. Just to make the spring a nice place to sit, and make it pretty enough that you might think you saw something neat by going there. After looking at the pictures some more, I was thinking that the cabins (other than cabin 1) seem pretty rudimentary, and in pretty rough shape. The certainly don't look like they are sutiable for winter. I think maybe (aside from parking area and picnic pavilion) that the cabins could be fixed up a bit and be open to hikers passing through, rather than building a whole new bunkhouse. Then more focus (i.e. money) could go into building a new bed and breakfast style Lodge. So... which would be more appropriate? Which would be better to bring back Garland's "glory days"? Fixing up / building more cabins? Or building a new lodge? Either way, I'm commited to the idea of providing a public trailhead and picnic pavilion. I KNOW that people would use those facilities. And a nice sign: "Garland Hot Springs - Gateway to the Wild Sky" or "Gateway to Wild Sky Country"

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club
PostMon Aug 27, 2007 12:04 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Heck, That ain't nothin'.
That's why you'll often see it referred to as Garland Mineral Springs. Minerals they've got. Hot... not so much. But I'll bet 70 feels mighty good during many parts of the year.