Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Garland Hot Springs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Aug 27, 2007 7:18 pm 
I wonder if anyone has ever bothered to take the temp. of the "hot spring" in the middle of February? I thought that it was just a Summer mineral spring that would cure everything .. dizzy.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Klapton

Klapton
PostTue Aug 28, 2007 9:13 am 
I was just researching at how the National Registry of Historic Places works. It's pretty cool. It doesn't tie the hands of property owners, but still opens the possiblity of getting grants and/or tax credits for preservation / improvements. I doubt that funding could be sought for building a new lodge, but making the spring itself pretty, maybe a historical display near the spring, maintenance of Cabin 1, and maybe the public facilities could be partially funded this way. Here's a bit about Evaluation Criteria for the National Register. I think Cabin 1 at least has this:
Quote:
The quality of significance in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture is present in districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that possess integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association and ... (c) that embody distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction, or that represent the work of a master, or that possess high artistic values, or that represent a significant and distinguishable entity whose components may lack individual distinction
If anyone has any concrete info or leads on the following:
Quote:
(a) that are associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our history; or (b) that are associated with the lives of persons significant in our past; or
Someone said that Will Rogers stayed there right before he died? Any references for this? (I'll have to do some looking) And actually, I think there may even be a slim possiblity of help building a new lodge if ....
Quote:
(e) A reconstructed building when accurately executed in a suitable environment and presented in a dignified manner as part of a restoration master plan, and when no other building or structure with the same association has survived

Klapton

Klapton
PostThu Aug 30, 2007 12:46 pm 
I was unable to confirm anything about Will Rogers or Wiley Post making any trips in the mountains before they flew out from Lake Washington to Alaska. Can anyone point me to something to confirm this? (Newspaper archives? Biographies of either person?)

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Aug 30, 2007 9:31 pm 
COWBOY
Will Rogers was the Stephanie Miller of his time and they had a monument erected of him in Lake City, Seattle after he came through here. It used to be by the library in Lake City but I think that it was moved to a different location because I haven't seen it in awhile .. http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=3443 edit: In those days it was a very hard and long road-trip along the brick and dirt roads to Index. It was the depression and I've heard that back then guys were selling their wives in the road houses to miners & loggers just to feed the kids.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
rejoicing1

rejoicing1
PostSat Oct 20, 2007 10:36 am 
Hello, I just signed up today because in doing a search for Garland, I found this forum. I live in Los Angeles, and have some information on Garland Mineral Springs. I spent a summer there with my brother and sister in law when I was 14 years old and worked in the coffee shop. How I wish I could find some photos now, but almost wept when I saw a post card of Garland on this thread! I am almost 66 years old now. My sister-in-law's sister Medora, was married to Cam Sharpe and owned Garland Mineral Springs. Yes, it was a Christian resort.A BEAUTIFUL resort. I well remember when word reached us that Garland had burned down. I will see what I can find out from her and if she happens to have any photos. Cam died last month. rejoicing1

Under His Wings Psalm 91:4
Damian

Damian
PostSat Oct 20, 2007 11:00 am 
Rejoicing- Welcome! We share your joy in having discovered this thread about Garland. We look forward to you sharing your memories and photos of this special place.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Oct 20, 2007 11:04 am 
Rejoicing, thanks for posting! We are looking foward to seeing some historic pictures.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 11:33 pm 
Sorry, I rarely go in here, so didn't see the requests for my pictures from back in May. Here are the ones I have on Flickr.
View looking east.
View looking east.
Garland access rd. washout
Garland access rd. washout
Toilet on the Sky.
Toilet on the Sky.
Garland Mineral Springs
Garland Mineral Springs
Entering Garland
Entering Garland
Garland Road Debris
Garland Road Debris
Has the property been sold yet and what were they asking? Great to see all the history and people finding this post from around the country.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 26, 2007 8:18 am 
I stayed at Garland in the early 60's with a friend's church group. At that time they were just starting to put the road through to Jacks Pass and log the enormous trees that were on the other side of the river - typically 8 to 10 feet in diameter. In November of 1980, there was a major flood event in the mountains that washed out the county road and deposited a lot of gravel through the Garland site (this was the same storm that took out the Monte Cristo Road and the Mineral City Road, among many others). It was a couple of years before the County built a bypass up on the hillside above Garland and reopened the road.

Klapton

Klapton
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 2:27 pm 
I'm sad to hear about Mr. Sharpe's passing. I'm sure the thoughts of everyone watching this thread are with the family. Are those pictures from before or after the big floods of last November? Has Index-Galena road been repaired since those floods? I emailed Mr. Jon Sharpe about the property, and he said it was indeed for sale. Because of the size of the property, and my guess at its value, I did not ask about a price because I am not currently in a position to make an offer. I don't believe that the property has been listed with a realtor. (I could be mistaken. I haven't looked in a while).

Jan

Jan
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 7:30 pm 
Some Garland Facts
Hello, I'm new to this site, although I had heard my siblings and cousin refer to it. I'm Janis Sharpe Brotherton. I lived at Garland from age 8 till I left to attend college in Seattle in 1963. About 10 years. My parents lived there until about 1966-67. It's been interesting reading the memories and beliefs of the various contributors. 1. Cabin #1 is gone, gone, gone, as of Oct. 2007. A very sad fact. 2. The water in the large spring that supplied the swimming pool was never heated...only pumped into the pool. My father, Cameron Sharpe took regular temp. readings and stated that it maintained a consistant temp. of 68 degrees F even in winter. Real toasty on a COLD day! 3. The only water heated at Garland Mineral Springs was for drinking, cooking or bathing, and was clear, clean water from our water source on Troublesome Mt. It was piped into the lodge and heated there by a huge wood-buring furnace. The lodge was steam heated, and over 30 cords of wood were used yearly. 4. I have VERY fond memories of the Petterson family and have often wondered where to find Carol. We were friends, and I spent some overnights in their home. Ernie was an excellent carpenter who constructed the new bath house and a new fire escape staircase at the back of the lodge. I recall sitting in the Coffee Shop listening to him whistle hymns as he worked. He was an amazing whistler, and I can still hear it! My parents really loved Ernie and Alta, and often mentioned their gracious generosity to our family! 5. I have begun writing about the years at Garland. It was a rather unique experience. I know that my memories and perspectives will never measure up to the writings my mother had been working on before the fire took it all. She never wrote about Garland after that. I believe she closed that chapter in her life. It has been a joy to read all the comments about Garland. I guess it will merely remain a sweet memory for those of us who enjoyed that place at that time. There is really not much now to save. The river truly runs through it all! Jan

Jan
rejoicing1

rejoicing1
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 7:37 pm 
Hi Jan
I'm Joyce Simmons... Your Aunt Betty's Sister in law. ( Bob's sister)! I have found Garland so interesting and love the idea of you writing about the site. That is wonderful. I have some great memories of a summer when Bob and Betty brought me to Garland with them. Your mom even let me work in the coffee shop as a young teen. I remember a cow that would come down each morning with a big bell around her neck! What a experience for a city gal! I keep close touch with your Aunt Betty and of course my nieces and families. I do hear of you through them. But it is fun " seeing" you on the forum. God Bless You, Under His Wings, Psalm 91:4 Joyce

Under His Wings Psalm 91:4
salish

salish
PostWed Feb 27, 2008 9:07 pm 
As the originator of this thread way back in 2002, I can honestly say I amazed at the staying power of this topic. We are blessed to have so many fond memories shared with us, especially by Cameron Sharpe, and more recently, Joyce and Jan. I think it's a wonderful thing you're doing with your writing project. Thank you very much. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Feb 27, 2008 9:46 pm 
Thank you all. I hope this history is preserved in a more detailed format.

Zipper

Zipper
PostThu Feb 28, 2008 4:23 am 
Memories
Janis, it is so good to see you on this site reminiscing of the "good-times" at Garland. I hope that you will continue to recall tidbits of a time when life was more laid back and enjoyable. Fred