Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cleatuss
Raised by mtn goats

Cleatuss
Raised by mtn goats
PostSun Apr 16, 2006 8:14 pm 
Greetings and salutations!
Hi - my name is Abe, and I'm an alcoholic... Kidding. I hail from the booming metropolis known as Shoreline, and it all began many years ago when my father bought me my first sleeping bag way back in 1987... 'twas a North Face Cat's Meow, left zip, regular length, synthetic mummy. It got used, but inconsistently and very sporadically. It wasn't until nearly seven years later, a few years post high school, that the Cat's Meow started to see the real action. Thinking back on the first few trips... welcome to the comedic stylings of a few unprepared, unskilled, unprepared, rookies - those trips were nothing short of a comical if you had seen the gear (or lack of!) that we had been carrying! We suffered through those trips for a season or two and then I ended up in Colorado for school - which turned out to be my baptism into the outdoor realm. I spent a couple years peak-bagging fourteeners, camping, snowboarding, mountain biking, and developing my hunger for the outdoors. I then transferred out to Perdue in the flat state of Indiana. I never quite felt at home there so back in June of last year I moved back home to the PNW. I spent all last summer turning my good friend Rob into a hiking/backpacking machine... It is done - I have created a monster... So whenever I'm avoiding work like the Hantavirus I can typically be found with a snowboard attached to my hooves while being yanked rapidly through the mountains by gravity's unrelentless hand, trekking through the Cascades hopes of not be given the opportunity to make nice with a bear, or unnaturally fixed to my road bike doing all I can avoid the maniacal road-rage inflicted drivers of the Pacific Northwest. I'm not real particular as to where I go (as long as it's not a ten minute stroll along a level path alongside a family of four pushing a stroller...) I enjoy out-and-backs, loops, through-hikes, rain, shine, snow, day hikes, overnights, solo, group hikes, - it's all good to me. I solo a lot more than my people would like me to, but that's because most people I know don't have the skills, desire, or cRaZy to go on most of my trips - especially in the winter when crampons, snowshoes, and an ice axe are on the list of required items... I absolutely love the high alpine lakes wilderness, but I have a lot of big trips planned this summer that will take me out to the Olympics and into the North Cascades. As a matter of fact, my list of trips is so long right now that I should be able to map this entire state by summers end!!! I've also planned a 100 mile Stehikin to Stevens PCT trip in mid-July and I'm working on a 10-12 day trip in the Grand Canyon in Oct or Nov. Coordinating days off and the logistics of getting friends together in the same place, at the same time, for the same trip doesn't always work itself out - so I figure by having more friends, the odds of beating the stats works in my favor! So if yer interested in meeting a few kats who love to laugh, have fun, and be in the outdoors please don't hesitate to shoot me a message. Be well... A.b.e.

"I have found that if you love life, life will love you back." - Arthur Rubinstein http://www.flickr.com/photos/capn_ahab/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Apr 16, 2006 8:21 pm 
Welcome Capn. Nice to have ya on board..... up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSun Apr 16, 2006 8:40 pm 
Welcome to all the new faces! up.gif

Let me stand next to your fire
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Apr 16, 2006 10:26 pm 
Lookin' forward to hearing more from you, Cap. You're funny, and you write well.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Akula

Akula
PostMon Apr 17, 2006 9:07 am 
Hello Everyone, I joined back in early Nov last year, but never properly introduced myself. Thank you Mary Lou for opening this thread. I was introduced to hiking by my parents back in the early 60's. 1962 to be ceratin. Fortune and Navy have provided me the opportunity to hike all over the world including a trip to the North Pole. I moved to the north west about 4 years ago, and have found my home. (And a very pretty lady) I have no real hiking preferences as far as where I hike, just as long as it is outside. Lakes, ridges, mountain tops, rivers and valleys, I enjoy them all. Fortune allowed me to volunteer as a Back Country Ranger for Olympic National Park the summers of 03 and 04. I worked out of Staircase Ranger Station, what a wonderful group of people to cross paths of life with. As far a preferred gear goes, I am not real particular as long as it meets fit form and function. I think Osprey makes the best big packs, but own a Gregory Whitney. (I gave my daughter my Osprey) I use a Snow Peak Giga Power and their cannisters. (MSR failed me to many times). I believe the weight of a good red wine can be endured if you want to enjoy it 3 days into a 5 day hike. My favorite local hikes are Mt Aix and Flap Jack Lakes. I want to see Napeequa Valley within the next couple of years.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover. -- Mark Twain
JimK

JimK
PostMon Apr 17, 2006 9:31 am 
Welcome Akula. I know that you want to see the Napeequa in person but this may help tide you over until then:

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Apr 17, 2006 10:26 am 
JimK, you bastid! I'm hankerin! The snowpack this year will render crossing the Chiwawa pretty impossible for normal people, til late summer/early fall, no?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Akula

Akula
PostMon Apr 17, 2006 10:33 am 
Thanks Jim, that is just what I needed. Setting here stuck at my deck on a beautiful day.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover. -- Mark Twain
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Apr 17, 2006 12:32 pm 
Hello to all the new members. The more the merrier! biggrin.gif And I'd also like to add my thanks to ML for this thread. Especially the great idea of making it a "sticky" thread. up.gif Without that, new members probably wouldn't notice it if it was dropped off the first page of threads.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Apr 17, 2006 9:37 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Hello to all the new members. The more the merrier! biggrin.gif And I'd also like to add my thanks to ML for this thread. Especially the great idea of making it a "sticky" thread. up.gif Without that, new members probably wouldn't notice it if it was dropped off the first page of threads.
Glad your thread is popular enough to stay on the first page Sluggy, a topic called "sticky pictures" just seems wrong. lol.gif C.J.

WTM

WTM
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 8:55 am 
Quark:
Quote:
JimK, you bastid! I'm hankerin! The snowpack this year will render crossing the Chiwawa pretty impossible for normal people, til late summer/early fall, no?
Sorry if I infer too much, but wasn't JimK's pict taken from High Pass? (not Little Giant .... re Chiwawa crossing).

JimK

JimK
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 9:06 am 
My photo was from High Pass. Quark's question is still valid. It will be interesting to see when either high water or too much snow recedes to allow access to the valley. I'm not sure what the easiest route will be before late summer.

WTM

WTM
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 9:17 am 
Point taken. The last 2 seasons have really spoiled me. Even the Boulder Pass access might be a challenge this year.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 9:45 am 
Yah, I knew the pic wasn't from Li'l Giant - (higher prespective); but it's the only way I've been in there on an overnighter. I'd like to go in via Suiattle and out Lil Giant; perhaps this year late season to ensure better water crossings. The views of the Napeequa via Li'l Giant are a perfect introduction for new folks to the area and want a medium-in-difficulty trip (if the Chiwawa can be forded). It'll suck them in, and won't let 'em go (I mean the view, not the Chiwawa, unless the ford fails).

WTM

WTM
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 8:16 am 
Quote:
I knew the pic wasn't from Li'l Giant - (higher prespective);
Well, it's the face on view of Clark Mt that characterizes this view as High Pass.
Quote:
I'd like to go in via Suiattle and out Lil Giant
Excellent! Of all the possible cross Cascade treks, I have to say this sounds to me like one of the most enchanting and creative. Constructing an interesting route is like creating a work of art.