Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > New members/intro thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
don b

don b
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 5:57 pm 
I guess I'll take a turn. My first long hike was in 1962 with a bunch of crazed little Boy Scouts. We hiked to Rainbow Lake above Stehekin building some trail and a bridge along the way. The highlight of the trip was finding some deer tracks overlain by bear with lots of blood around. The kids were off like a shot, ignoring the adults attempts to control us. We lost interest by the time we got to the lake as there was lots of snow around. Several of us promptly slid into the lake but were able to swim out and build a fire. Classic scout stuff. Since those days I've done lots more trips climbing,skiing, biking and hiking. My favorites these days are off trail ridge runs. Last year I took on a strange challenge of visiting some 75 named lakes and peaks within 5 miles of Snoqualmie Pass. Not sure what this years plan is but I'm sure there will be some relatively high mileage days in there. I've enjoyed the trip reports here and may even post one of my own some day. Thanks. Don

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
stossel
Chris

stossel
Chris
PostMon Apr 24, 2006 10:30 pm 
Pine Tree to Evergreen State
Hello everyone. Chris from Yarmouth, Maine here. My wife and I are moving to Washington in several weeks to live in Duvall. We found a cool place not far from Markworth State Forest and the Snosqualmie - Skykomish watershed. Looks like there's years worth of exploring to be done right out the back door. I can't wait to get out there! - Chris

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 12:59 am 
Welcome Don B. & Stossel!

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
hikerbabe

hikerbabe
PostFri Apr 28, 2006 9:28 pm 
Moving to the Evergreen State
Hi Chris! I did the Pine Tree State to Evergreen State move a few years ago. I moved here (Woodinville) from Houlton Maine. The quiet life in Maine is great, but you can't beat the easy mountain access and the awesome views here (a hiker's dream!). You won't miss the Maine winters either...When you want snow here, you go find it, play in it, then drive home. So - welcome to paradise!

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostFri Apr 28, 2006 10:29 pm 
Dane Burke, student (chemistry major). There isn't a natural science that doesn't fascinate me. My first wilderness hike was a failed attempt up the Lake Constance way trail. Dumb enough to choose that as my first hike, smart enough to turn around early. I still haven't been up to the lake, but I've let it go. It seems most of you guys are "lake baggers"...you can have em. I'm a high country basin bagger now. My dad is usually too busy to hike and my girlfriend isn't into it, so I mostly hike alone. I'm not sure if I prefer it that way or not. Most of my hiking has been done on the trail, but almost all of my future hikes involve off-trail. While I live on the Seattle side, all my hiking is in the Olympics. The Cascades won't see much of me until I've had my fill of the Olys. My favorite hike was a 4 day solo to Lake LaCrosse last September. I was hiking along above Enchanted Valley and heard a noise behind a tree. I walked around the tree expecting to see an elk running away from me, but I ended up eye to eye with a black bear. stun.gif Oh, and if you can't tell from my title and signature, I'm an obsessed ultralight hiker and I don't care for conventional backpacking style or wisdom. moon.gif I'm no snob though, to each his/her own.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Cleatuss
Raised by mtn goats

Cleatuss
Raised by mtn goats
PostFri Apr 28, 2006 10:43 pm 
Well nice to meet you Dane Burke... I'm pretty new to the forum myself, so I've never met anyone here face-to-face. I was actually a Chemistry major studying at Perdue this time last year, but nearly through the sophomore season I decided I should persure other endeavors so I packed all I could into a 12' uHaul and moved back home to Washington - loving every minute of it. But anyhow.... Welcome.

"I have found that if you love life, life will love you back." - Arthur Rubinstein http://www.flickr.com/photos/capn_ahab/sets/
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Apr 28, 2006 10:53 pm 
[ot] Interesting thinking about a map and compass not being necessary--mind if I ask what the rationale is behind this? I guess if a hiker doesn't think he or she needs these tools, one wonders if they might also scoff at a rescue should they lose their way..... [/ot]

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSat Apr 29, 2006 12:03 am 
thanks for the reply ML so we don't derail this thread, go here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=177198#177198

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Akula

Akula
PostMon May 01, 2006 7:20 am 
Dane, Welcome aboard. I haven't been a member her long either, but visited it often before joining. Your comment about the Cascades not seeing much of you till you have had your fill of the Olympics gave me a chuckle. I have lived in this area for four years now (except for a six month jaunt through the Marianas Islands) and thought the same about the Olympics as you seem to. I immediately fell in love with them. Then a wonderful lady introduced me to the Mt Rainier area, and my thoughts changed. If you doubt me, try having lunch some sunny day on the third borough, or cruise the trail along Carbon Glacier up to Moraine Park and check out the wild flowers. Then if you really feel energetic, do Mt Aix. Awesome. After joining NWHikers, I found myself introduced to a whole new world of hiking. I still love the Olympics, and have a hike almost identical to your Lake Lacrosse trip planned for late July. Again, welcome, this is a fun site, interesting view points sometimes, but very informative and fun.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover. -- Mark Twain
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon May 08, 2006 8:37 pm 
Hi everyone
I'm new to this site, although I'm not exactly new to NW Hiking. I've been a student in New York for eight years (yikes), but I've spent most of those summers in Seattle, spending much of my spare time hiking. I've posted trip reports under the name "Foist" on the WTA site from time to time, in case you've seen them. Alas, this will likely be my last summer in Seattle for a while, and I'm looking to take advantage. I have to study for the bar exam, but before that gets too intense, I'll be spending many an afternoon on the trail. And once that's over, I hope to go on a few huge trips before I sign my life away to the Law Firm. Anyway, if anyone is interested in taking afternoon hikes on weekdays in late May and June let me know, esp. if you're around the UW area.
Me at snow lake.
Me at snow lake.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon May 08, 2006 8:39 pm 
oh, my name
My actual name is Jonathan.

whidbey

whidbey
PostTue May 09, 2006 4:35 pm 
Hey, all. I'm definitely a lurker at this point. No way could I keep up with some of the accomplished wanderers here. That said, this site has been a valuable source of grapevine-styley information, and I love the pictures. I mainly hang in the lowland sea, taking bike trips, camp trips on my Namesake Island and the other islands, and the Peninsula for now. I've got a truck, but it's old and I rarely take it into the mountains... I've been way behind on my LJ, but if anyone's interested in my amateur roamings to be sure... Western Washington Adventures

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue May 09, 2006 6:50 pm 
Welcome to both of you, Foist and Whidbey! Definitely looking forward to your trip reports in the coming season... BTW - Foist, gotta love the color of Snow Lake, eh? Hard to take a bad picture with those blues. You make it up to the 'chants on that trip?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue May 09, 2006 10:04 pm 
enchantments
Yup, we made it to the enchantments. On the first day actually. At the time the picture above was taken, we had made it there very quickly and decided we had enough energy to go all the way up to the enchantments rather than camp at snow lakes on the first night like we had planned. We spent 3 awesome night up there, one in the lower basin and two in the upper. oh, and don't think I didn't notice the picture you inserted there is of the unmistakeable Prusik Peak. Here are some more photos:
Dragontail and Stuart, now revealed!
Dragontail and Stuart, now revealed!
Lower Enchantments from Little Annapurna
Lower Enchantments from Little Annapurna
3721400-R1-021-9 (cropped)
3721400-R1-021-9 (cropped)
Pond in upper enchantments basin on a still morning.
Pond in upper enchantments basin on a still morning.
Isolation Lake
Isolation Lake
Sunrise in Upper Enchantments
Sunrise in Upper Enchantments
3721420-R1-023-10 (2)
3721420-R1-023-10 (2)
Prusik Peak
Prusik Peak

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue May 09, 2006 11:20 pm 
Nice pics! Good perspectives of my favorite country! up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short