Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > New members/intro thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KaptainKoolz

KaptainKoolz
PostSun Feb 02, 2014 3:50 pm 
Hey all, just discovered NWHikers this morning while lurking for a new and interesting hike to try next weekend. I am 22 and attending school in the greater Seattle area. Hoping to meet up with some people of similar experience/ability for weekend hikes. Just did mailbox peak for the first time last weekend, what an awesome experience! I am ultimately hoping to gain some mountaineering/ ice scramble experience this winter.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Woopsadaisy

Woopsadaisy
PostSat May 31, 2014 3:33 pm 
Hello, I joined this week. I'm in Montana, but it's ok with me that most of you are in WA. We host couch surfers all the time, you never know when you might be passing through and want to explore over here!

All good things are wild and free. -Thoreau
PDX Papa

PDX Papa
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 pm 
Howdy, I just found this forum. I'll likely lurk more than post. I've been an avid hiker/camper/backpacker for 20 years — pretty much ever since college. My wife and I were married in Zion National Park. We love wild places. We moved our family from Flagstaff, Arizona to Portland last year. We have two kids, and we haven't really backpacked since they were born. But we've brought them out car camping a ton. Last year we got them up to Olympic National Park just before they started at their new school, and we just returned from a week in Glacier. They're 10 and 7, so I think backpacking again might finally be in our near future. I'm hoping to make the PNW home for a long time, and this forum looks like a great resource for getting to know my new backyard!

mehitabel
archyologist

mehitabel
archyologist
PostSat Sep 27, 2014 1:47 pm 
Hi I posted this on "trail talk" but realize it belonged here. I have been a member for a few years, mostly lurking, and my user name was anelson. I decided that since recently I've been posting on here more often I should introduce myself and give myself a proper user name. Mehitabel was a childhood nickname and now that i am a middle aged cat lady it suits me. More about me: I met my husband 37 years ago when we were 19 and he introduced me to backpacking. We have been enthusiastic hikers and backpackers since, also doing some climbing/scrambling, and backcountry ski touring, mostly in the Sierra's, and a fair amount in New Hampshire. We moved to Seattle 20 years ago, with our infant daughter, and raised two kids here. While the kids were young we took a bit of a hiatus from strenuous hiking and climbing but did get out into the outdoors a lot with our kids for hikes and backpack trips. Now my husband and I do some dayhikes, mostly scrambling, on our own when our youngest is busy. He is now 16 and I expect we will be able to do longer trips in a few years when he is out of the house. We enjoy peakbagging and one of my ambitions is to do all the trips in Peggy Goldman's "75 scrambles in Washington", with a few substitutions. My trip reports have mostly been posted on wta.org. My bucket list of Washington peaks is here. !! means i have climbed, ** means its definitely a goal, ? means i'm considering it

toujours gai toujours gai
kawi_200

kawi_200
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 10:24 pm 
Hey all! I was browsing around looking for info on a new fishing pole for hiking/backpacking and came across this site. Decided to join since it will be a bunch of people who are local and will know the area better than me. I've been hiking for a while now and just got in to backpacking. My first over night was Sept of last year and I loved it. I got my gear all set, I'll "upgrade" to some lighter stuff later, but for now I'm golden. I've been using my 6ft telescoping fishing pole since I was about 8. 22 years later and it is still going strong. It was my grandpa's and my first fishing pole. The rings that hold the reel are cracked and I figure with Christmas coming I'll tell my fiance what to get me up.gif I'm always looking for new hikes and view to enjoy. I tend to stay around the Mountain Loop HWY because it is closest to me, but I've done a few hikes off HWY 2 and went to the Lower Quilcene River once. Of course I like the easy hikes, but I tend to stick with medium ability hikes. I guess that is enough about me. If you have any suggestions for a telescopic fishing rod about 6ft long please let me know smile.gif

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 10:51 pm 
Welcome to the nwhikers site!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 14, 2014 12:01 am 
How about Ron Popeil's As Seen On TV Ronco Pocket Fisherman? Okay... maybe not...... but welcome to the site anyway! smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kawi_200

kawi_200
PostFri Nov 14, 2014 9:22 am 
I had thought about those. But, um.... no.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostSat Jan 03, 2015 8:59 pm 
My name is Ben. Lived in Naches my entire life and try to be in the mountains 200 days out of the year. I hunt, fish, hike, shoot, and simply do it all. I try to go on back pack adventures in the spring and fall as I am busy helping smokey put out fires in the summer. If you have a question about hiking in the William O., shoot me a pm.

Have I offended you today?
Hiker_J

Hiker_J
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 1:15 am 
Hey, everyone! Not sure if anyone still reads this thread, but I just joined this site and am pretty excited about it! I graduated high school in the Chelan County earlier this summer, where I've lived my whole life surrounded by the Cascades. Running, biking and hiking/backpacking are what I love to do. I've always been a runner (cross country, the works) and have recently become more serious about backpacking and mountaineering. I'd consider myself more of an amateur in the hiking world, but hey! We all have to start somewhere. That being said, I have a lot of strength and endurance that can be put up to the test. ~ I'm moving to the Seattle area later in September, so I guess I joined this site mostly to discover new hiking spots and meet like-minded people. Like I said, I'll be new to the area and I'd love to join more experienced hikers and overall have a good time. Don't be afraid to send me a PM! -Hiker_J up.gif

RichP

RichP
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 7:58 am 
Welcome Hiker_J. Best of luck in your move to the wet side.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 9:28 am 
Hi. My name is Tom. I am from Montana. From 1972 until my last trip in 1989 I hiked mostly the area around canyon creek off the north cascades highway in washington. When I returned from Vietnam I had a lot of unwanted baggage and I found the solace of the back country hikes to be of great benefit. I have acute/severe asthma and can no longer venture outdoors.

NorthwestWanderer

NorthwestWanderer
PostSat May 28, 2016 9:27 pm 
Hello, my name is Andrew. I just moved to Washington from Michigan and am hoping I can tag a long on as many weekend backpacking trips in the area as I can. I'm 24 years old and went to school in North Carolina for Outdoor Leadership (basically a degree for Wilderness Therapy / Low Level Parks Degree). Currently working for a city municipality. I look forward to possibly meeting and hiking with some of you! Best Regards, Andrew

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 29, 2016 1:32 pm 
Welcome guys. Good luck getting out this summer.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
coolwinner

coolwinner
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 12:08 am 
Hello everyone. I found my way on a sidetrail to this site during my life's hike from northern FLA to the great state of Washington, and I'm happy to say I couldn't have found a more inviting encampment. My goals this season are quite simple: I wish to constantly improve my preparedness and awareness of nature, and I find that hiking as a joyful meditation on what in means to simply Be in this great Earth. Whether you can dig it or not, I'm glad to be here, and I hope we all see some wonderful hikes in the coming seasons! Cheers!