Forum Index > Gear Talk > How do you dry your platypus?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tennessee treader

tennessee treader
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 5:54 am 
I use a platypus as my collapsable water canteen on hikes. When cleaning it at home after the hike, I rinse it out with a mild bleach/water solution and "poof it up" and turn it upside down to dry out. It seems the water droplets stay in it for days and days. Is there a better way to dry these things out? confused.gif

baseball and hiking ... that's life!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 6:33 am 
My methods: 1. Throw it over the ceiling fan (near center) and turn on low. 2. Drape it over the treadmill in the basement, which is where the gas stove is. 3. Drape it over the roof beam on the deck.

tennessee treader

tennessee treader
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 6:37 am 
Spotly wrote:
My methods: 1. Throw it over the ceiling fan (near center) and turn on low. 2. Drape it over the treadmill in the basement, which is where the gas stove is. 3. Drape it over the roof beam on the deck.
Option 1 seems like a really good idea. The air movement would dry out the inside fairly quickly. Living in the south, I have no trouble getting access to ceiling fans... Thanks for the idea! agree.gif

Dante

Dante
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 8:33 am 
I don't dry my hydration bags. I keep them full of chlorinated tap water (no air), which I change when I think of it. my gear is in my garage/shop and I keep the hydration systems out where I will see it and change the water from time to time. I also never put anything but water in them. So far nothing has grown in them (at least nothing visible wink.gif ). Before trips, I just rinse them out thoroughly and refill them with fresh tap water.

tennessee treader

tennessee treader
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 9:43 am 
Dante wrote:
I don't dry my hydration bags. I keep them full of chlorinated tap water (no air), which I change when I think of it. my gear is in my garage/shop and I keep the hydration systems out where I will see it and change the water from time to time. I also never put anything but water in them. So far nothing has grown in them (at least nothing visible wink.gif ). Before trips, I just rinse them out thoroughly and refill them with fresh tap water.
This idea is good in that it would keep the hydration bags "hydrated". Dry storage sometimes leads to "dry damage". Interesting idea. suuure.gif

wadel

wadel
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 10:42 am 
Dante wrote:
I did this once and ended up getting some nice green growth. Apparently not enough chlorination and too much sun. I still use this bag though and it still has a green tinge. smile.gif Now, I hang the bag upside down and it is usually dry in a couple days.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 10:50 am 
I haven't had a problem - yet. My garage is pretty cool year round. Not much warmth to promote growth. I think Seattle water has a lot of chlorine, too.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 11:00 am 
Dante wrote:
I don't dry my hydration bags. I keep them full of chlorinated tap water (no air), which I change when I think of it... Before trips, I just rinse them out thoroughly and refill them with fresh tap water.
I use the same plan. In the slow season, I boost the tap water with 3 or 4 four drops of unscented bleach. Someone - Jen, I think - mentioned storing them wet and flat in the freezer. The best chance for bug growth is when they're sitting like a damp petri dish for days.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 11:17 am 
If your hydration system ever gets a little gunky, (not too gunky tho) throw a denture cleaning tablet in with some water.....voila! the fizzy stuff gets the gunk.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 12:44 pm 
This is the method from the Platypus website:
Quote:
HOW DO I DRY MY PLATYPUS? Platypus bottles and Hoser reservoirs can be dried by blowing a little air into them and letting them stand uncapped until the water evaporates. Big Zip reservoirs are easily dried with a dishtowel through the large opening. You can also prop them open with a spoon or other utensil and let them air dry.
Similar to my method, but I stand them in a sunny window in my kitchen. edit: Gaeger, I don't recommend the "spoon insertion" method in your case, mate! eyes.gif

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
tennessee treader

tennessee treader
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 1:30 pm 
polecatjoe wrote:
This is the method from the Platypus website:
Quote:
HOW DO I DRY MY PLATYPUS? Platypus bottles and Hoser reservoirs can be dried by blowing a little air into them and letting them stand uncapped until the water evaporates. Big Zip reservoirs are easily dried with a dishtowel through the large opening. You can also prop them open with a spoon or other utensil and let them air dry.
Similar to my method, but I stand them in a sunny window in my kitchen. edit: Gaeger, I don't recommend the "spoon insertion" method in your case, mate! eyes.gif
This is how I dry mine now and it seems that it takes a week for the droplets to evaporate out. I'll have to try the sunny window trick. paranoid.gif

harinama

harinama
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 4:55 pm 
i always just leave them with tap water in the closet, then refill prior to each hike. I've never had a problem with them at all. so i guess the answer is...NOTHING>

Rob Jordan

Rob Jordan
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 5:19 pm 
gaeger wrote:
First I use a towel to try to get its fur as dry as possible. Then I turn on the blow dryer -- but on low cuz you don't want the little blighter to get all frizzy. Also high heat can cause his bill to curl.
And don't forget the males are poisonous!

justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 6:10 pm 
i stick mine right in the freezer when i get back, it's already empty... dizzy.gif that way i'm not concerned about anything growing in it, or it not drying completely.

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 6:28 pm 
I don't use platty bags anymore but when I did, I'd push the handle of a wooden spoon or something like it to keep the sides apart and just let it dry out on the counter. I guess I pretty well do the same thing with my Source hydration bladders.

Honey Badger Don't Care!