Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cedar Butte 4-8-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 8:43 pm 
I suddenly had the opportunity to hit the trails briefly on Saturday morning... the rest of the family was returning from Arizona and needed to be picked up in SeaTac in the afternoon... leaving my morning wide open. After considering a few options, it seemed that Cedar Butte could be a good destination for the day. While researching the route via the aforementioned link, I was really captured by the story surrounding the Boxley Blowout, which I had never heard about. Having the history to go with the trail sealed the deal for the day. Since rain was forecasted (and of course the forecasts are 100% correct if it includes rain) I dressed accordingly with a big green tarp that I happened to have purchased two years ago just in case this sort of situation came up. It rained from start to finish, couldn't see much of the Boxley Blowout area and zero visibility due to low clouds from Cedar Butte. That's ok... distance was short and my expectations were dead on for view status... and my family had the digital camera with them. Trail was well signed, but a bit bushy in parts. I'll surely be back another (sunny) day to see the views. Upon returning to the parking lot we decided to follow the road along the lake to locate Cedar Falls. It's on the map, the parking lot is labeled 'cedar falls'... it's got to be here somewhere. Hmmm..... keep looking... hmmm.... Ok, we've come to the gate on the road with no-trespassing signs... there's a little stream with maybe a 5 foot total water drop spread over a 20 foot run... is THAT Cedar Falls? More than a little disappointed with that. I guess I'd better check out Brian Swan's site for more research on it. tongue.gif The Watershed Education Center was a new addittion since I had last been there and I was really impressed with the Rain Drums. That really topped off my day. We didn't go inside the Center since we were pretty damp by then but I'll make it there one day. We ended the trek by walking along the water line of Rattlesnake Lake and I used the last few clicks of a disposable 35mm point-n-shoot to capture Rattlesnake Ledge with surrounding clouds. I'll post those if they are of any quality when they get developed. The next sunny, lazy day I have in North Bend will certainly include a trip back to the area. PS - Even with the 100% rain forecast the parking lots had a LOT of vehicles. We only saw about 10 people total on our trail - everyone else must have gone to Rattlesnake Ledge. I expect this place fills up fast on nice, warm days.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mgd

mgd
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 8:54 pm 
Elvis, thanks for posting the very interesting historical link. up.gif
Quote:
But for the courage and forethought of Charles Moore, night watchman at the North Bend Lumber Company's plant at Edgewick, who, in the face of the threatening waters, tied down the lever of the mill whistle and then hurried from door to door arousing the sleeping residents, scores of persons might have lost their lives. As it is a dozen families are homeless while the costly main plant of the North Bend Lumber Company is a total wreck, the planing mill badly damaged and the Innovation Shingle Company's mill was whirled down stream for a quarter of a mile.

mpaul_hansen

mpaul_hansen
PostTue Apr 11, 2006 10:33 pm 
Boxley Burst @ Cedar Falls & upstream Chester Morse Lake dam
Another minor point to the story, from the original City archive material: Consideration was given to building an earth embankment dam at the outlet of Chester Morse Lake, in lieu of the Masonry Dam with its leaky north abutment. There happened to be a failure of an embankment dam in the Carolinas during this period prior to WW I. This failure apparently swayed the City to not drop plans for the Masonry Dam construction, which was completed in 1914. Masonry Pool sealing efforts continued into the 1930's w/o success. Moral: technical experts were ignored then; and other technical experts likewise recently warned of inadequate / degrading infrastructure recently in the past, & now [ASCE, IEEE etc], such as for flood and storm protection leevees, etc.

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Apr 12, 2006 9:18 am 
Thanks mp_h. So, does anyone know if the small "falls" just before the gate on the road (past the education center) is 'Cedar Falls'? Inquiring minds want to know...

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 am 
Nope. The actual Cedar Falls is inside the watershed. I think they offer guided visits on occasion. Check with the ed center.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Apr 14, 2006 10:07 am 
I mentioned a few pics were taken with the remnants of a 35mm disposable camera... here is the only one worth posting (and really, it's not worth posting... consider it the best of the worst).
Stumped
Stumped
Stumped Elvis

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Apr 14, 2006 11:04 am 
Elvis wrote:
...it's not worth posting... consider it the best of the worst).
Stumped
Stumped
Stumped Elvis
Are you kidding?! That shot has got to be the signature picture for the rear end of this fourth week of "spring."

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
l

l
PostFri Apr 14, 2006 12:15 pm 
Elvis wrote:
I mentioned a few pics were taken with the remnants of a 35mm disposable camera... here is the only one worth posting (and really, it's not worth posting... consider it the best of the worst).
Stumped
Stumped
Stumped Elvis
Elvis, I'm with Jimmymac on this one. Your photo noir has character.