Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Camp 100 feet away from lakes...who does that?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 7:37 am 
Jamin Smitchger wrote:
I generally camp right next to a lake because I need to be in view of my rod. [1] I also usually build fires when I camp. That being said, I believe the answer to this issue also depends on where you are camping. At popular lakes, environmental degradation occurs most often within a few feet of the shoreline, and therefore you would only be a good steward if you camped away from the shore and did not build a fire. If there is a bushwack to get to the lake, you can generally camp wherever you want [2] because the use of the area is so low. I generally do most of my hiking off-trail, so it really does not matter if I build a fire or where I camp. [3] These are some of the benefits of off-trail travel. smile.gif
Tryin' your luck with a treble hook, eh? sneaky.gif What the heck? It's been a full day, and not even a nibble... confused.gif

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 8:01 am 
You guys are getting old. Why in the good ol' days the flames would be flying by now and we would be on page 15.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 8:14 am 
I thought about flaming the hell out of Jamin, but I was too lazy to go back and cite the inconsistencies. Plus I was drunk as a lord last night. Back to more important stuff: Art Not, your avatar photo has something to do with an A-OK everything's peachy symbol in your camera?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 5:21 pm 
According to Tom, I must stop harassing you guys with my crazy opinions. I generally have an opinion on every topic out there. I do build campfires most of the time I go on an overnight, and I generally camp right next to a lakeshore. However, most of the places I go are not very popular. smile.gif

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 7:35 pm 
Quark wrote:
I thought about flaming the hell out of Jamin, but I was too lazy to go back and cite the inconsistencies. Plus I was drunk as a lord last night. Back to more important stuff: Art Not, your avatar photo has something to do with an A-OK everything's peachy symbol in your camera?
He appears to be trolling anyway.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
mgd

mgd
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 8:04 pm 
Art Not wrote:
You guys are getting old. Why in the good ol' days the flames would be flying by now and we would be on page 15.
Agreed, if this is trolling, then Jamin's using a barbless hook. biggrin.gif I think the 100 foot rule is to keep stuff from percolating throught the soil into the lake. Who would want a lake that tasted like MGD? It may have to do with keeping the shoreline pristine too, but I always figured it was to keep the water clean. One of the things I hate seeing is soapy foam floating around in outlet streams. I used to think it was from camp soap, but now I'm guessing it's from natural minerals in the water??

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 8:11 pm 
Trolling is so 2004. blah.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Damian

Damian
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 8:17 pm 
Quark wrote:
Art Not, your avatar photo has something to do with an A-OK everything's peachy symbol in your camera?
What the heck are you talking about

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 pm 
did anyone figure out what art not's avatar is?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 8:43 pm 
Looks like an aircraft that shan't be looked at.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
mgd

mgd
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 8:44 pm 
I think I will try to auction off his avatar on Ebay. drink.gif

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 9:02 pm 
I would guess that his avatar would be a rock sticking out of an alpine lake with the reflection of a mountain in the distance. And no I am not trolling. smile.gif

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 12:33 am 
As seen in the 1975 revised edition of: BACKPACKING One Step At A Time by Harvey Manning When there is no option but a virgin site beauty is secondary to toughness. The conscientious camper sleeps in woods rather than flower gardens, on dirt rather than heather; he observes the new regulations adopted by National Parks and National Forests which discourage - or specifically forbid - camping within 100 feet of lakes and streams. He takes pride in knowing the first rain will wash away every sign of his stay, that his home for a night soon again will seem virgin. I also have the book Making Camp by BP magazine (1997) and it states "200" feet. Go figure huh.gif

Sticker on the back of my 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia: Jesus Is My Airbag
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Apr 21, 2006 11:43 am 
Hey, I missed Jammin's post somehow. I need to know, JS, do you really believe it is OK to build firepits and otherwise increase your impacts at remote lakes over what you would do at popular lakes? Do you think that other people likely feel the same way, or do you think they'd be likely to disagree? And please, tell us the reasoning behind your answer.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Apr 21, 2006 11:59 am 
LunchBox wrote:
he observes the new regulations adopted by National Parks and National Forests which discourage - or specifically forbid - camping within 100 feet of lakes and streams.... also have the book Making Camp by BP magazine (1997) and it states "200" feet. Go figure huh.gif
Sounds like the rules had changed due to updated information. I always hear it said that a person should eliminate his waste at least 200' from a water course; I think that includes lakes.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting