Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Camp 100 feet away from lakes...who does that?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostFri Apr 21, 2006 1:32 pm 
Yes I do believe that it is okay to build firepits in some areas. I cook all my trout over a fire so it is sort of necessary. However most of the lakes I go to are rather remote. Lake Stickney would be an example. I do use an existing firepit if it is there, but sometimes there isn't one. In that case I will build just build a fire practically anywhere there is a good place to camp and fish at the same time. That being said, most of the places I go to will not suffer adversely from one campfire. When I leave, I generally try to decommision the site and remove traces of the fire.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostFri Apr 21, 2006 2:08 pm 
Don't forget guys. Fire restrictions in ALW
Quote:
Many years worth of campfires have caused severe damage to the ecosystem at several locations within the Wilderness. Using a stove instead of a fire halts the consumption of ancient subalpine trees and snags, stops the accumulation of fire pits, decreases the likelihood of human-caused fire, and helps protect the integrity of the ecosystem. Campfires are prohibited above the 4,000 foot level west of the Cascade Crest and above the 5,000 foot level east of the Crest. Campfires are prohibited within 0.5 mile of additional locations. Plan on no fires if you are camping at a lake or above elevations mentioned. Campstoves are recommended at all Wilderness locations.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Apr 21, 2006 3:24 pm 
If you decommission the site and make it look like you weren't there then I'm cool with that. But I do have to say that Stickney is not a lake I consider to be very remote.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostFri Apr 21, 2006 5:30 pm 
Justus S. wrote:
Don't forget guys. Fire restrictions in ALW
Quote:
Many years worth of campfires have caused severe damage to the ecosystem at several locations within the Wilderness. Using a stove instead of a fire halts the consumption of ancient subalpine trees and snags, stops the accumulation of fire pits, decreases the likelihood of human-caused fire, and helps protect the integrity of the ecosystem. Campfires are prohibited above the 4,000 foot level west of the Cascade Crest and above the 5,000 foot level east of the Crest. Campfires are prohibited within 0.5 mile of additional locations. Plan on no fires if you are camping at a lake or above elevations mentioned. Campstoves are recommended at all Wilderness locations.
Rules to live by up.gif agree.gif biggrin.gif When I hiked the Mount Margaret - Twin Lakes - Lake Lillian circuit, I couldn't help but notice there are way too many firepits at Margaret Lake. I think the lake is in ALW. Isn't it? And its east of the crest, so it would be the 5000ft restriction and its under 5-thou. So the lake is fire friendly. Regardless of the area and elevation restrictions there is still way too damn many firepits. IMO Its the pits hockeygrin.gif

Sticker on the back of my 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia: Jesus Is My Airbag
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 12:11 am 
Yes, I ate four of them. All of them were small 8-9 inch brookies. I admit that it does not appear to be remote, but the road is in pretty bad shape past the first switchback at 2000. If you can get past the two foot deep series of waterholes in the first half mile, you might be able to get to 2500 feet if you had a very, very jacked up jeep. When you get off the road, you will have to go through an old grown over logging slash with class three brush. There were quite a few campsites, but there didn't seem to be much traffic since the access got bad. Everything was beginning to get overgrown. It took me about 3-4 hours to get to the lake from the beginning of the access road.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 7:07 am 
Quote:
It took me about 3-4 hours to get to the lake from the beginning of the access road.
3-4 days is remote. 3-4 hours isn't even to Grandma's house.

don't believe everything you think
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 7:08 am 
I wasn't basing my opinion on the lake's remoteness based on how it appears. I'm well aware of the access situation. 3-4 hours in is an easy little day trip. I don't consider it to be a remote lake.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 10:00 am 
I still call troll.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 10:47 am 
I agree that lake Stickney is merely a day trip, but it really is not a popular destination because it is a bit mucky and the fish run small. I had no qualms building a fire at it. I was rather exhausted by the time I reached the lake. Here is my trip report. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10386&highlight=lake+stickney