Forum Index > Trip Reports > Peak 3802 again, otherwise known as...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fred Beavon

Fred Beavon
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 6:07 pm 
The Eaglet, or Calamity Hill (USGS Verlot), 522' of prominence. I didn't really have very high expectations for this low summit, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. I agree with Jeff R. that it's a gem, particularly on a nice day like today. I left the car at 8 a.m., was on the summit for a half hour from 10:30-11 and was back down again at 12:30 and home by 2 p.m. I never saw the tree over the trail where naturealbeing cut off the trail and headed up to the ridge. I may have left the trail earlier than he did, where I saw a reasonable way. It's a bit steep, wet and slippery with all the new fresh snow, and I did some zigzagging to find the best route. I was surprised to see a patch of snow even at the Heather Lake trailhead at 1400 feet, but it may be gone by now. The ridge moderates around 3,000 feet and from there to the 3802 summit, it's a delight dropping off steeply to Heather Lake, and almost as steeply to Lake 22. It's really fun right before the summit where the ridge narrows some more and gets steeper. A good place for a picture, but I don't carry a camera. Heather Lake can be seen before the summit, but to see Lake 22, one must continue on past the summit along the delightful ridge. At one particular point, I could look east and see Lake 22 and look west and see Heather Lake. Not the entirety of the lakes, but both from the same spot. Both are snow covered though a small bit of Heather Lake is melted out. There were tracks around Lake 22 from someone who had circled it. I even saw the big rock I like to clamber upon, on the south side of the lake. The prime view, though, is of the massive cliffs of Mount Pilchuck. There were some small rumbling snow slides dropping down those cliffs while I was on the summit. On the descent, I should've taken my snowshoes off earlier than I did. Where it got steeper, one of them got caught in some brush and I went on a head first tumble. No harm done. The ice axe stayed on my pack all day. It was worthless in all the powder. Some ski poles might've been helpful, though I never carry any. With no wind and mild temperatures, I didn't even mind getting wet from the snow melting off the trees. I brought three water bottles with me. One I drank before leaving the car. The second one was intended for the climb. The third one was for the drive home. I was wondering why my pack felt so light. It was because I forgot to add water to my pack, but I didn't realize that until I got thirsty way up on the ridge. So I ate some of the fresh powdery snow, but it just wasn't quite the same. 4/18/06

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 9:07 pm 
Looks like I just missed you again Fred. I happened to be on Green Mtn. today. While over there I took a few shots of Eaglet and Mt. Pilchuck. Here's some color to add to your post.
Mt. Pilchuck as seen from Green Mtn.4.18.06.
Eaglet Peak as seen from Green Mtn.4.18.06.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 10:11 pm 
Its good to hear that someone was able to see the views from Eaglet recently. Also, now I actually know what the peak looks like instead of just imagining it.

Ebrace life!