Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostThu May 04, 2006 9:20 am 
LostandFound wrote:
So I have a question for you all. I was hiking a while back around the I-90 corridor. About half way up the trail I start seeing tissue on the ground, one about every fifty feet or so.
I saw this same phenomenon on the Twin Falls trail last night, but didn't get so lucky as to encounter the hiker. After three weeks I'd bet she must have bad allergies. Kinda wish she's stay inside...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Wren

Wren
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 11:52 pm 
Gosh, it's now illegal to smoke outside? Who knew?

cascadian66

cascadian66
PostSat Jul 15, 2006 12:19 pm 
Yuk
I agree with Jenjen. This sort of thing is unacceptable, and a person really should know not to do this. C'mon....How selfish.

velveteenrabbitt22

velveteenrabbitt22
PostSat Jul 15, 2006 1:13 pm 
Bad Hikers
Whoa, I just read this thread!!! Just be polite to the person, educate rather than dictate!! Jeeze!

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSat Jul 15, 2006 1:29 pm 
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
What I will never understand is why, if they didn't want to haul it out, didn't they just bury it.
It would have been too much trouble.
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
I'm not saying that would have been proper LNT but to hang it from a tree???
Seems like it worked just fine. By holding the environment hostage, the diaper changer was able to extort the diaper removal from a more caring person. And, if a more caring person never came along? Well, too bad; it's not a concern to the offender. "They did their part." rolleyes.gif An "environmentally aware" illegal dumper would never throw an old TV into a ravine. No, that would be irresponsible. What they do instead, is quietly place it on the parking strip next to a car festooned with Green bumper stickers. At least selfish folks can be educated in the things they need to get other people to do to preserve the environment.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
mgd

mgd
PostSat Jul 15, 2006 7:00 pm 
If dirty diapers are growing on trees now, mosquitos may end up a little lower on the nuisance scale soon. eek.gif

Ted

Ted
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 3:48 pm 
I saw a bag of dog poop tied to a tree a couple of weeks ago at the trail to Talapus Lake. There were piles of dog poo on the trail on the way up, and one owner laughed when his dog relieved himself right next to a creek. Yeah, it biodegrades, but it also degrades my hiking experience when dogs are tearing up the trail, barking non-stop, crapping, and constantly being corrected "Come here Jack. Jack! Come here!..." I prefer to litter in the city. The ecosystem is pretty much dead there anyway, and I would prefer my garbage on Alaskan Way than have a landfill created and destroy more of the environment! smile.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 5:04 pm 
Quote:
isn't smoking illegal within 20 feet of a public trail?!
Smoking on trails on NFS or NPS lands isn't illegal. During periods of high fire danger, an NPS Superintendent or NFS District Ranger may impose a temporary fire ban, which in most cases also puts a temporary ban on smoking on trails. It does absolutely no good to get confrontational with other hikers on a trail. Odds are they'll just ignore you or blow you off as some sort of lunatic. ( I know what my response would be, but I don't believe I can post that sort of thing here in this forum. ) There are a lot of well-educated, seemingly intelligent, normally reasonable people who are at times simply thoughtless dolts. But confronting them in the backcountry, especially in some militant fashion, will in very few cases achieve the desired result. I think jenjen's tactic of picking the stuff up and hand-delivering it to them with a very polite "you dropped these" ( as one would return a lost wallet ) would be far more effective, a more productive use of your own energy, and something you can laugh about later ( remembering the looks on their faces. ) I've done the same sort of thing with some former next-door neighbors who regularly dumped their fast-food trash into the street out front, and they eventually got the hint. I've hauled out literally tons of garbage from NFS, NPS, DNR, and NWR lands. . Part of my "essentials" are a 33-gallon black trash bag, a pair of disposable latex gloves, and a pair of heavy leather work gloves ( for picking glass shards out of fire pits ). It's not my favorite thing to do out in the woods, it's unpleasant at times, and the rodent-chewed disposable diapers can be a challenge, but I don't let it ruin my trip and I've come to accept it as just another minor annoyance.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 10:04 pm 
polecatjoe wrote:
I have been known, on occasion, to enjoy a fine cigar while sauntering along (not on anything strenuous, mind you) or while in camp. If I was accosted by a stranger demanding to know what I was doing smoking on the trail or what my intentions were with the butt, I would politely tell her or him to shove the butt up their's if that would make them feel better about its final disposition.
I just wanted to quote this, for no reason. I think it's the funniest thing I ever read on this site.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 10:17 pm 
Ted wrote:
...the trail to Talapus Lake...degrades my hiking experience
Your hiking experience was ruined when you decided to hike Talapus lake, the slum of the ALW. lol.gif lol.gif I've never understood the allure of these hikes right off of I-90. So crowded, so ordinary, so unspectacular. If I lived at the trailhead, I'd hike that trail about once a year. But that in no way invalidates your basic complaint about barking/pooping dogs. Anyone too lazy to bury dog poop should be "caned" Singapore-style. smackbum.gif

Ted

Ted
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 10:33 pm 
Slugman, I hardly ever hike along I-90. Too busy, people on cell phones, too much trash. I only had a couple of hours and wanted a really quick dayhike. Forgive me?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 10:52 pm 
Of course. I was just making a bit of harmless fun at your expense. clown.gif But seriously, a question for those who seem to have dog problems: where are you seeing all these dogs in the first place? I do have Sundays off each week, and often hike on a Sunday to go with my friend Yetiman, but we usually don't see a lot of other people, let alone with dogs. Two weeks ago at the Walt Baily trail to Cutthroat lakes off of the Mtn Loop hiway, on a nice sunny Sunday, we saw three groups of two people each all day. One had a dog, and I had my dog, but not a single bark was heard that day.

Ted

Ted
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 7:01 am 
Hey Slugman, No harm, no foul. I usually get the hiking bug in the winter time, so a lot of the trails I'd like to hike are hard to get to. I'm also out of shape and have kids, so we usually do the shorter ones. AND most of my friends have never backpacked, so I'm working on hooking them. Just took my daughter and girlfriend on their first short backpack, and helped my buddy pick out gear for backpacking.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 7:04 am 
Quark wrote:
I think it's the funniest thing I ever read on this site.
Thanks, darlin'! That's mighty high praise coming from the queen of anecdotal humor. But enough of our Mutual Admiration Society- on with the show...

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 7:36 am 
Where do I see all those dogs? On the hikes along I-90! Why in God's green earth do I hike there? Because then the drive doesn't take longer than the hike. I don't hike alone, so where we go is a compromise with the people I hike with. More often than not, it's my husband, and he doesn't like driving more than an hour. Since we're not doing long hikes (<= 6 miles, at the moment), and since we're right on the 90, that means doing the hikes on 90 at the moment. But that's ok. As a place to start, they're not that awful, really. We'll move up over time. :-) Makes your trails a little less crowded for a short time. :-P