Forum Index > Trail Talk > May Trip in B.C.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostMon Dec 23, 2002 1:33 pm 
Although I've hiked with a few of you, before, I'm pretty new to this forum. But, I thought I'd go ahead and post a trip, for May. The location is the Stein Valley Wilderness and the dates are May 12 to 16. It's an In & Out trip, from the eastern trailhead, at Lytton, B.C., which is about two hours drive, from the U.S border. The trail is easy to moderate and manageable for all. Some of you are likely familiar with the area, and I'll post some more trip details, soon. In the mean time, if you would like more info, I have a trail description and topo available, for email. Feel free to drop me a note, at hodgeman@telus.net

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Dec 23, 2002 4:21 pm 
I did it the May long weekend this year. I might be interested in doing the Stein the first weekend in May next year.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostMon Dec 23, 2002 10:28 pm 
Hiker Boy - I thought you might pop up, on this one. I haven't been in that area since July '01. How was it in May, this year? I hear they've tried another bridge, where the cable car was. I hope you'll be able to hook up with us, for this one. One of these days we really should get a hike in, together, since we're practically neighbours cool.gif

Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 12:16 pm 
A few details...... Day 1 - From the trailhead at Lytton, in the desert like Fraser Canyon, the trail heads westward along and above the Stein River's rapid course, through the lower canyon. Day 2 - We cross a new bridge (I'm told they've replaced the cable car), to the north bank, and the canyon widens out, to a lush, glacialy carved valley. Day 3 - is a day trip, further west, to the intersection of Cottonwood Creek. The waterfalls and views, here alone, are worth the trip. Days 4 & 5 are the return trip. May 11 or 12 to meet, at the trailhead, and May 16 to be back at the vehicles (before the Cdn holiday weekend). The trail is easy to moderate. Random camping allows you to do as much distance as you like, each day. The planned days are 10km to 12km each, which allows faster hikers plenty of time, to relax or explore. This area is rich in ecology, wildlife and native history. Two hours drive, from the US border, or Vancouver Airport.... just show up and hike! When last I checked, there were no fees, permits, quotas or designated campsites. Also, we may very well be nearly the only ones in there. I have done this trip twice, in May, and it's the best time to go, for weather (I've not had more than a drop of rain, in here), crowds (count them on one hand) and wildlife. Again, feel free to email me for more details...... hodgeman@telus.net

Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostSun Apr 06, 2003 8:46 am 
Just a month to go....... I've had a few inquiries about this trip. It looks like a small group at this point. Hope to see some of you NWHikers coming up for this one