Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ebeys Landing - 04-22-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 9:38 pm 
With renewed interest brought on by Lookout Bob and Captain Jack reports from March, this place hit the mark on a beautiful sunny day. The logical no-nonsense trail up the bluff and the hands-on diversity of the beach made this a perfect trek for us. The kids literally ooh'd & aah'd at the views and the countless unique articles they managed to find on the beach. We had one report of 'There's sand in my shoe!' before we reached the trailhead, four complaints of 'It's MY turn to lead!' and it took less than one lecture and four minutes before I witnessed someone in the water up to their ankles. doh.gif I am pleased to report there were no complaints of cold feet. A few comments were made in prior trip reports about a homeless person living here... while no such person stood out during our adventure, we did happen upon a nice driftwood hut. This looked fairly well built, but no tarp roof and it was only maybe 4 feet high on the inside. The kids had an absolute blast, with one episode of tears upon learning an unopened bottle of apple juice somehow displaced itself from a little pack along the beach. Our sincerest apologies to whomever sees it. We tried to save Karma by picking up any litter we found (which was minimal).
We didn't take the time to stop at the 'Viewpoint' since we were on a pretty tight agenda - it gives me another excuse to head back some day soon. Anyone know how long of a spur trail that is? Surprisingly, there were very few people along this route today. We didn't encounter any others on the trail, and we only saw one person on the beach... until we reached the parking lot area where there were quite a few people all of a sudden. From there we went straight to a baseball game in LaConner and then took the wrong route to a birthday party in Mt. Vernon. The wrong route put us in the heart of Tulip Country... 1.25hrs to do what probably normally takes 15 minutes. It was pretty, though.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 11:34 pm 
The viewpoint is about 1 minute up from the junction to the beach, nice grassy knoll, good for lunching and sunning agree.gif This pic is from said viewpoint, looking southwest, I have marked the trail on it.
ebey viewpoint mod
ebey viewpoint mod

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Apr 24, 2006 8:25 pm 
If you go back, walk the beach to Ft. Ebey from the lagoon- the views are great, and there is rarely anyone on that section.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Apr 24, 2006 8:46 pm 
Spindy and I did the whole stretch of beach from Fort Casey to Fort Ebey a month ago. I think the most deserted stretch was the portion south of Ebeys landing about halfway between there and Fort Casey, but the section north of the lagoon certainly gives you that "Robinson Crusoe" sense of isolation. agree.gif C.J.

l

l
PostMon Apr 24, 2006 8:53 pm 
Elvis, I like those sinuous contours in the 2nd pic. As for the tulips... whoa wow!

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 9:54 am 
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments. I poked around Fort Casey for an hour or so, too many years ago, but have never been to Fort Ebey. I recall enjoying the views and the remaining bunkers (or whatever those concrete structure were). Is Fort Ebey similar? Generally speaking, how long (time &/or distance) of a trek is it to go from one to the other and back again? Thanks ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 12:35 pm 
Ft. Ebey is very small, but what it does have is less people, and 30 miles or so of trails in the Kettles (half state park, half Island County land). A weekend there car camping is very fun indeed! smile.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 1:24 pm 
Trails are great for kids who like to MTB

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 1:41 pm 
And excellent for parents with young kids in jogger strollers too!

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 9:23 pm 
Elvis wrote:
Generally speaking, how long (time &/or distance) of a trek is it to go from one to the other and back again? Thanks ~E
I think figured its about 6 miles one way from the Pt. Partridge lighthouse (Fort Ebey) to the Admiralty Head lighthouse (Fort Casey) Various levels of excersize may be had depending on the area of beach you walk. Closest to the water the sand is soft, it feels like you cant get traction, but its a superb workout. The sand closer to the cliffs is dryer, harder, and much easier to walk fast on. Some beach sections are completely covered with small rocks, making foot placement a chore as to not twist an ankle. Still, its sea level, with no elevation gain, so you can roll off the clicks easily. C.J.