Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wahpenayo Peak, RNP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
plain old dan

plain old dan
PostMon Apr 24, 2006 8:59 pm 
4/22/06 I've been itching to go up towards Eagle Peak from Longmire in Mt Rainier National Park for awhile now. Finally had a nice spring day to do it! up.gif I parked across from the community center and walked back down the road to the trailhead. There was no snow for the first 3/4 mile or so. After that it was well packed down all the way to tree line (another 2 1/4 miles). I diverged from the trail at this point to head straight up to the ridge line (to go to Eagle Peak Saddle, head left at tree line then up). I went thru the gap behind the pointed tower.
wahpenayo_5
wahpenayo_5
After a steep pitch to get to the top of the gap, I saw on the other side a whole bunch of white!
wahpenayo_2
wahpenayo_2
wahpenayo_4
wahpenayo_4
I dropped down into the bowl then headed up towards Wahpenayo Peak (6231). The snow was fairly solid, with a lot of minor slides having packed things down. I did not bring snowshoes and didn't need them. I punched through rarely so travel went fast. Below Wahpenayo, I decided to attempt a circle by traversing along the ridgeline - hitting the peak along the way. However, heading west along the ridge about 200 feet below the summit I decided to turn around due to a thinning ridge and iffy cornices. See pic below.
wahpenayo_6
wahpenayo_6
I dropped back down into the bowl, travessed back under the north face and turned left to get up the western shoulder of the ridge.
wahpenayo_8
wahpenayo_8
From a point (see above photo for highest point) just below the summit I saw things were not going to finish easy. Photo below shows the final ridgeline to the summit .
wahpenayo_1
wahpenayo_1
From here, I dropped down the south slope then headed straight up the 45 degree slopes. From the summit: To the North and Rainier:
wahpenayo_7
wahpenayo_7
To the South and Adams:
wahpenayo_9
wahpenayo_9
Next time, Eagle and Chutla Peaks! More snow.
wahpenayo_3
wahpenayo_3

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
l

l
PostMon Apr 24, 2006 9:07 pm 
What the hell is going on with this board tonite? Every trip report I click to is phenomenal. #2 and #4 are otherworldly. Great work.

Trevor

Trevor
PostMon Apr 24, 2006 11:51 pm 
Unscathed snow slopes and a vision capable of rendering artistic imagery is always a winning duo.

javman

javman
PostMon Apr 24, 2006 11:56 pm 
Sweet pics Mania! I was up there a month ago on a mountaineers outing. The snow conditions weren't that good and we stopped right before the gnarly cornices... Looks familiar smile.gif

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 12:09 am 
Awesome TR and photos as usual.

plain old dan

plain old dan
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 8:13 am 
Thanks everyone. Javman, that is so cool to see how much has melted off the cornices. From the looks of it, you were wise not to continue on.