Forum Index > Trip Reports > East Fork Quinault - April 21-22, 2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
javman

javman
PostMon Apr 24, 2006 11:52 pm 
This is my first trip report, so if I do anything wrong, scare me off now or forever hold your peace smile.gif A couple weeks ago I decided I needed a 3-day weekend and requested 4/21 off. As the date approached and the weather forecast held, I was anxious to get out and do some exploring and get a few miles under my belt. Late start Friday -- got to Lake Quinault Ranger Station around noon to register and get a bear canister. The ladies working there told me there was one guy ahead of me... Driving down the road a few miles, a buck and doe were feeding along side of the road. A sign of life in the valley? up.gif
Hit the trail a little after 1, and I knew I didn't have much time to waste if I wanted to make it to the Chalet. After 15 minutes I stopped to adjust, and dump out my 2nd water bottle -- What was I thinking, carrying two full bottles on a river hike? After a couple miles, I start to wonder why was I carrying a 6 pound tripod? I stopped briefly at Pony Creek Bridge to gaze in awe at this awesome gorge. I figured I'd spend a little more time shooting photos on the way out anyhow...
I passed the other backpacker around 5 miles in and was thrilled knowing that the magnificent Enchanted Valley was just miles ahead, alone and waiting for me. The cool breeze and warm sunlight gave me wings Red Bull couldn't dream of dizzy.gif
But by the time I reached Pyrites Creek (10 miles), my energy was waning and I figured this was as good of a place to set up camp as any. I set up my tent, ate some food, and proceeded to snap off a few shots of the creek on the other side of the river (Ignar Creek).
Saturday morning came and it was sunny but rather nippy. I left most of my gear behind, and set off for the Chalet. Shortly after leaving camp, snow patches began to dot the landscape. Shortly past Lamata Creek I ran into some elk, but they didn't want to be photographed...
In the open areas, the snow completely covered the ground... But the elk have been working trail maintenance overtime - their tracks were the only tracks to follow. Eventually I crossed the last bridge and the views were magnificent up.gif
I ate my lunch and sat in the sun for a half hour. I took a glimpse in the emergency shelter.. Wish I could stay there all summer! Why would anyone walk 13 miles to vandalize such a place? ... Well it was time to go now. My heel was gettin hot so I slapped some moleskin on it and off I went. I stopped to take some pics of a creek on the south side of the river (Upper O'Neil Creek?)
About a mile out of camp, I rounded a corner in the trail only to come face-to-face with a loud crash and a big ball of black fur. Well, it wasn't that big.. It climbed about 40 feet up the tree and started snorting and huffin. I took a few pics (Not very good lighting -- and I didn't want to take time to setup my tripod if you know what I mean) -- and hustled on by...
I was back to my gear by noon and figured I might as well pack up and head for the trailhead. Coming out was a little slower wink.gif I passed a few people on their way in. Two couples and two singles. The blowdowns on the trail aren't that bad except for one stretch near the O'Neil campground I think.. Back at the Pony Creek bridge, the lighting was better and I was in need of a break, so I took a few shots...
And of course, the only flower of the trip was ... skunk cabbage!
On the drive out, I saw some more elk in a clearcut that had kind of a grim look to it..
Anyhow, that's that. I got my exercise and I'm still sore... Good way to start the backpacking season tho! Cheers, ~jav

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 12:11 am 
Nice! I was wondering about the valley and the conditions. Thanks for the TR and beautiful pics. agree.gif

Andrew

Andrew
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 12:12 am 
I enjoyed your report. Gosh, the things I'd do to hear and feel the water flowing through that gorge. Great images, and apt shutter speeds for the river compositions. up.gif

JimK

JimK
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 7:26 am 
Nice report. Keep them coming. On my last trip there I met a bear right where you did. He was walking down the trail right towards me. We both were surprised when we nearly met. On my way out a few days later I again met a bear in nearly the same place. It might pay to have your camera out after crossing Pyrites Creek.

Don

Don
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 7:44 am 
Great TR Javman! Funny about the bear sighting location. I once stumbled upon a bear sleeping only about 30' off the trail there. He rolled over, looked at me, and went back to sleep! You made a comment about vandalism at the shelter. Can you expand? Sad if true. Don

javman

javman
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 9:30 am 
Thanks guys! Don, I mentioned vandalism because the "History of the Chalet" sheet on the board at the chalet said they had to close it in the 80's due to vandalism. And looking in the emergency shelter, it looked like many people have spent their time carving initials inside.. You must be Don Geyer? I saw the sleeping bear photos on your website a couple weeks ago when I was searching for info on the Quinault. Good stuff smile.gif

Don

Don
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 am 
Thanks Javman. Was curious if recent activity had occurred. I believe access was shorter in the 80's with people able to drive the road to near Pony Bridge (I may be wrong), making trail access much shorter to the chalet. I doubt people with ill-intent would be willing to make the trip now, but I've been wrong in the past. embarassedlaugh.gif Edit: Oops. Forgot to answer your question. Yes, that's me.

mtngrl

mtngrl
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 11:23 am 
Great pictures and good info! Thanks for the post! smile.gif

Chris_and_Krista
Trouble!!!

Chris_and_Krista
Trouble!!!
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 4:26 pm 
Snow Depth?
We were thinking heading out to Enchanted Valley this weekend...can you give me some detail on the snow depth around the Chalet? By the way, very nice pictures! Chris

javman

javman
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 4:58 pm 
Thanks mtngirl & Chris.. As far as the trail conditions..... The NPS website says there's 60 down trees along the trail.. Let's just say that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (most of them are smaller than 2' in diameter) -- but there is one nasty spot right before the O'Neil campground if I recall correctly. Probably 15 trees criss-crossed in a 75-yard stretch. Past that, the going was easy. The snow started about a mile past Pyrites Creek. It was only in the open spaces and had melted out where there's forest cover.. There was probably about 1.5 feet at the Chalet. It was solid stuff, probably won't melt out within a week, but who knows. Definitely not worth carrying snowshoes tho. The elk have been using the trail, and just follow the elk tracks in the open spots where there's 100% snow coverage and eventually you'll pick up the trail again. All of the creek crossing logs were intact. And I think the ladies at the ranger station mentioned that the trail crews would be starting this coming weekend? It has been cleared a little ways past Pony Creek Bridge. And the bear wires were still intact at Pyrites Creek.. Does that help at all? smile.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 25, 2006 5:14 pm 
That was your first-ever trip report? cool.gif It was outstanding. Great pics, too. Well worth your carrying that tripod. wink.gif But six pounds? eek.gif Sounds like that Golite guy needs to get into the tripod business. doh.gif